Sponsored by:

stock heads.....am i finished?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 06:44 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default stock heads.....am i finished?

i have replaced my 4 speakers and subwoofer in my 92 sc400.
the install guys at circuit city say that i have gone as far as i can go while keeping the stock head because it has no way to add additional amps due to no preouts.....(i wanted to add a 5 channel amp, or at the least a larger mono amp for the sub)

is this correct? is there no additional power upgrades i can do while keeping the stock head?
(i like the stock look)
Old 11-23-04, 07:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to tap the speaker outs, but with a line leveler you should at least be able to add a sub amp. Beyond that, you're gonna need a whole new system. I agree with you also, I like the stock look, that is why I upgraded the headunit and amp to the Nakamichi system and swapped out all the speakers to Boston Pros. The Nak system packs a bigger punch than the Pioneer premuim system. To go higher than the Nak system, you're gonna have to swap everything out.
Old 11-24-04, 02:22 PM
SC XCII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

liazon :

If you have the standard Pioneer system, there are no pre-outs for the front and rear channels as the amps are built into the head unit. If you have the Nakamichi system, there is a separate 4 channel amp with line level inputs under the CD changer. There is then a sub woofer amp next to the subwoofer with line level inputs.

If you have the Pioneer system with no CD changer, then you still have a subwoofer amp but it is mounted in the right side of the trunk under the trunk liner flap (where the 4 channel amp goes for the Nak system). This has a line level input so you at least could add a subwoofer amp and new sub to the rear deck (which is really about the only way to change it since the factory sub is 1 ohm).
Old 11-24-04, 03:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some clarification concerning system setup:

Pioneer Premium System with CD changer: 2 amps total.
You have a single 4 channel amp under the CD changer and a single sub amp in the rear deck just next to the subwoofer.

Nakamichi System: 1 amp
You only have 1 amp under the CD changer, however it is a 5 channel amp (4 speaker outs and 1 sub out) and it is roughly 4 times the size of the standard 4 channel Pioneer amp.

The plugs and harnesses are interchangeable between the Nak system and the Pioneer Premium system. If you have the base system without CD changer, you're out of luck.

I changed my system from the Pioneer Premium to the Nak system. What you need to pull of the conversion is the Nak headunit, Nak amp, and Nak 10" subwoofer. The CD changer is interchangeable. The Nak system is a nice upgrade from the premium system. It is very clean and goes plenty loud for me. There are several guys here who have added subs and amps by tapping the speaker line outs from either the HU or amp. Do a search.