Sponsored by:

How to fix CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 02:38 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to fix CD changer

I know this has been discussed many times but i haven't found any fixes or solutions to the problem. I have read that many have simply replaced the cd changer but I'm not opting for that option because of $$$. My cd changer (12 disc) started to not play the CDs anymore. It worked one moment then when I switched to another cd, it stopped. Now all it does is keeps switching between the cds trying to find one to read. It also makes that grrr grrr sound when trying to read it. I don't get error or anything on the HU, just that it rotates through all 12 cds trying to read but it can't so it'll keep going on and on and on. Has anyone taken apart a 12disc changer to find out how to fix it? *cough* OLT *cough* have you tried taking it apart? if someone has can you post a step through on how i can fix it if you did urs?
Old 11-30-04, 02:45 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the common problem with the changers is that the cd never fully loads. On mine it would do exatly what yours is doing. I took the cover off and held the sensor down and loaded it and found the rubber roller that loads the cd was not getting enough bite. I took some brake cleaner and worked it into the roller to swell the rubber a little and then bent the rod down a little. Just let the rubber drie out before you put it back together. Has been working perfect for a year with no problems. May be you problems as well but maybe not.
Old 11-30-04, 04:55 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Lexusaudio knows a lot about our changer. I put a 92-96 ES300 changer in my trunk. Couldn't be any happier.

Ed
Old 11-30-04, 05:51 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default CD Changer Repairs

Here is a link to a site that you may want to go to.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm

Hope this helps, they have all the directions there on how to remove your radio unit and your CD Changer.

Rob
Old 11-30-04, 07:17 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

thanx guys but i'm not reallie looking into spending money here, not until i do the whole system, so i just want a fix that'll last. I'll try what dentpusher posted.
Old 11-30-04, 11:47 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default CD Changer Problems

dentpusher

Brilliant Post, your fix makes a lot of sense.

May try that on my unit as well as mine every once in a while screws up in the same manner.

Thanks for the info.

Rob
Old 12-01-04, 06:59 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

The rollor hardens up and just slides on the cd when it gets old. I did this about a year ago and no problems since. Good luck and hope it helps out.
Old 12-04-04, 05:56 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

okae i just tried what dentpusher posted. However as i saw it in action, i noticed the loading of the cd and everything is fine. I think what my problem is that the mechanism that actually turns the cd may be jammed or something which is why it's going grrr grrrr grrrrr.... i'm only guessing this because everytime i see the cd come back out, the label is in the exact same position for all the cds. So with this new info, does anyone know how to fix that mechanism or what could be causing a jam? i tried opening it up but i couldn't reallie see how to get the reader part separate from the whole thing. if anyone could do a step by step for me by either pm or email that would be spectacular.

TIA,
Anthony