Sponsored by:

i need HELP! amp problem???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 03:19 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i need HELP! amp problem???

i did a search, but didnt get anything out of it. this is the second time this has happened.

when im driving in the rain, my radio seems to go into a mute mode. the volume is really faint when it is all the way up. it happened on the way to Nopi nat. in sept. it was out for about 2 days, then came back on on the drive to florida. it happened again the other day... like 2 days ago, and hasent come back on yet. its wierd... i have taken the amp out, and it seems to be fine. i dont know why, but it only goes out in the rain. it has to be raining hard too. i thought maybe that there was water spraying off the tires, and into the trunk where the amp is, but when i removed the amp, there is no evidence of moisture. i have the stock pioneer stereo with the 12 **** changer.

if anyone knows what i should do, please let me know. i have the amp unplugged... hopeing that it will reset itself or something... i dont know. if you can help, please either reply to this thread or IM me at driftindaily on AOL. thanks.
Old 11-30-04, 03:44 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, no idea what it could be. Though, I'll have my stock pioneer amp for sale within the next week if you want to pick it up cheap and see if it fixes your problem.

On a side note, how do you like your Viper 791 alarm? I'm thinking about picking one up for my car. Did you install it yourself?
Old 11-30-04, 04:39 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa....what a coincidence.
I'm calling surrounding dealers right now trying to find the best deal on an installed 791XV.
I've heard nothing but good things about the alarm.

Cheapest I've found so far was $550 with everything hooked up.....remote start/keyless entry/trunk/shock sensor

I think DIY installation would be a pain in the neck.

*As for the amp cutout..... remember reading a post about water collecting under the rear seats and shorting some wires.....check there.*

~Alan

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 11-30-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 04:43 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have lots of $, so if I can save $350, even on a PITA install, I'm gonna do it

Especially since my car is torn apart right now for my A?v install, its the best time to do it.
Old 11-30-04, 05:02 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

lets not let this thread turn into a discussion about my alarm. i really dont want to take out my back seat... i really dont want to take out my back seat, but i may. my whole trunk it taken apart now, so we will see if i can come up with anything. i did find a wire on the drivers side that wasnt connected to anything. it looks like the type or connector that you would put in your cable tv for your house, but i cant find anything to screw it into.... anyone know what it is, or does? thanks.
Old 11-30-04, 06:06 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ki_soarer
lets not let this thread turn into a discussion about my alarm.
Ok. Ok. Fine. Sucks though that you ask us for help but when you see we'd like some feedback on the alarm, you brush it off.

i really dont want to take out my back seat... i really dont want to take out my back seat, but i may.
It takes about oh 1.5 minutes to take out the back seat. Pull up on the edge of the seat and slide out toward front of car.
Like I said, I remember a thread about water collecting there and it just so happens that the orange connector you find underneath contains the stereo mute wire.

i did find a wire on the drivers side that wasnt connected to anything. it looks like the type or connector that you would put in your cable tv for your house, but i cant find anything to screw it into.... anyone know what it is, or does? thanks.
I have the same exact cable and it is also disconnected. Ignore it. I think it was meant for the hadns-free phones.
Old 11-30-04, 09:23 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i didnt mean to sound like an a** about the alarm thing, im just upset that i cant fix my radio. i am very happy with my alarm, and would recommend that everyone gets it. the remote will beep from up to 1000ft. away if the alarm is set off. and i have remote start and shut off. you can also set it to act as a turbo timer. its a lot cheeper if you get one from ebay. i paid about $200 shipped. i had a friend install it for $75.

thanks for the help on the radio. i really do appreciate it. i will check to see if thats the problem. thanks again, and i really didnt mean to sound bad. let me know if you have any other ?'s about the 791XV.
Old 11-30-04, 10:36 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

It's all good.
Wish I had a friend who could install it for $75
Heck I'd give $150.

Cheapest shop I've found so far wants $450 installed.
The turbo timer feature is half the reason I'm getting the alarm in the first place.
I figured a regular turbo timer is $100 + $30-50 install.
A decent alarm is $200-$250 installed.
I figured I'd hit 2 birds with one stone plus get remote start for those cold winter and hot summer mornings.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ter+under+seat

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 11-30-04, 10:57 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i removed the rear seat, and there was no water. i noticed the orange connector, but there was nothing visibly wrong with it. i unplugged it and plugged it back in, but nothing changed. is there a way to mute the radio? i didnt touch anything when it stoped working, i was just driving. i cant figure it out. i have my trunk all taken apart. what is the plug in front of the back seat by the trans tunnel for? thanks for all the help.
Old 12-01-04, 01:09 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

its working again..
i dont know what happened, but i dont think i did anything to fix it. it just started working. it didnt work when i lef tthe house, but sometime between the many stops i had to make, i turned it on, and it worked. if anyone knows what was going on, please let me know. thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-21-05, 09:12 AM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem with my RX300's stereo. It comes in and out when I'm driving, and it's driving me nuts. Even the dealer doesn't know what is happening.

I've spoken with a dealership and they're currently working on a GX470 with the same problem. They've replaced the head unit as well as the amps, but the volume STILL drops out. So, if anyone has found what the culprit is, please let us know!

Also, any advice you might have, please email me at jwilliams at cableaz dot com. Thanks!

Last edited by moogoo; 10-21-05 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 09:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Scott, you suck at the search button.

Not only have we had this complaint, but we even had a solution Last time I saw the thread was well over a year ago, so it's back at least that far, but the jist of it if i recall (and I make no guarantees) was water entering through the antenna and shorting it out. That was a definate problem on one thread doing a similar effect.

There was also another one where there was water under the seat where the speaker harness plug was (actually under the carpet on the sides - under the seat) and it had moisture inside the plug.

Those two should get you started and I do know the thread exists.
Old 10-25-05, 03:44 PM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

I know that the sedans had the "orange" plug located under the rear seat that apparently fooled the radio into thinking you were on the phone and muting the system, but the RX300 doesn't have that plug under there.

I DID, however, notice some rust on the antenna when I replaced the mast. It was on the very bottom of the mast. I didn't pay much mind to it, but if that's a possibility, I'm on it. Oh, and by the way, Lexus gave the GX470 back to the owner. They couldn't figure it out. Haven't they heard of the internet!? C'mon guys!

Thanks for the help, and I'll try searching that other thread. Hopefully, antenna will be a helpful key word.
Old 10-25-05, 10:26 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

first off, this thread is over 10 months old!!!! secondly, i fixed my problem... it was my sub amp. i still havent gotten one (at least not picked it up from another member yet) but i just unplugged it and it works fine, just no bass. thats ok with me.
Old 10-26-05, 11:22 AM
moogoo
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know where the amps are located on a 99 RX300? Or how to get to them if they're inside that dashboard???

Congratulations on fixing that problem! It sounds like enough of an issue for us that Lexus should have a bulletin out for it, ya know?