Best aftermarket navigation system(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 06:27 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Depends on where you go...

Originally posted by Cobra V
yeah i found a lot of good prices on the internet(all under $1,500).. so how much about would it cost me to get this thing installed?
The install price can be anywhere from 100-200 for the bracket and to run the XM antenna to the trunk lid. The XM unit is EXTRA! Just because it's XM compatible doesn't mean it'll process XM signals just yet. The XM reciever is another $200 and can fit with the 'brain' of the Avic-n1 where the stock CD changer/amp currently sits (won't need the changer/amp anymore).
Old 12-09-04, 06:43 PM
Cobra V
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i'll hold off on the XM for now.. since the system plays mp3's, dvd's and everything else, i'll be ok without it for now.

so i should expect to pay no more than $100-$200 for the install? phew, i thought it'd be much more.. *sigh of relief*. now the question is, where should i have it installed at? and would they know how to wire it so that i can watch dvd movies while driving?
Old 12-10-04, 12:28 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

$100-$200 for the install: basically it's just a swapping of the deck but with a lexus DIN dash kit. Also, the removal of changer/amp behind the glove box needs to be done (you can take this opportunity to have them install a ps2 if you'd like in place of the changer/amp).

Three things that make this install a little bit tricky for the installer:

1) There is a, for the lack of a better term, a 'speed pulse wire' that comes off your instrument cluster that needs to be hooked up to the unit to measure the speed of the vehicle. Most high-end stereo shops that have installed navigation units should know how to hook this up without a problem.

2) For liability reasons, most stereo shops will not make the small modification to allow a movie to be played while driving. The work around is - either tell them that you won't hold them responsible for the mod or simply remove the panel below the driver's side of the dash and take the wire that they hooked up to the parking brake and ground it. This fools the system into thinking the parking brake is always on and allows for movies to be played while driving.

3) The stock GPS antenna is not long enough to run all the way to the rear of the car. Mine was run to the front of the dash (where it meets the windshield) and it fits snugly into the center of the air vents that help defrost the windshield.

Hope that helps bud.

Clifford

yeah i'll hold off on the XM for now.. since the system plays mp3's, dvd's and everything else, i'll be ok without it for now.

so i should expect to pay no more than $100-$200 for the install? phew, i thought it'd be much more.. *sigh of relief*. now the question is, where should i have it installed at? and would they know how to wire it so that i can watch dvd movies while driving?
Old 12-10-04, 08:52 PM
Cobra V
Driver

thanks a lot for the info, Cliff!

will i have to get it installed at those privately owned speed shops(like 'Ricer World'), or can a place like Best Buy, or Pep Boys\Auto Zone do it?
Old 12-10-04, 10:54 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

thanks a lot for the info, Cliff!

will i have to get it installed at those privately owned speed shops(like 'Ricer World'), or can a place like Best Buy, or Pep Boys\Auto Zone do it?
The privately owned shops should care more about customer service and quality if you get to know and meet the owner for the install and they most likely will go ahead and do the video wire mod to allow you to watch movies while driving. The only caveat is that they most likely will be pricier.

On the flipside of the coin, Best Buy and the big box shops may be cheaper however you might be running the risk of having someone somewhat inexperienced installing your stuff. Also, in order to adhere to strict guidelines (read: laws), I highly doubt they'd do the video mod for you.

c.
Old 12-11-04, 02:39 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Eclipse AVN 2454

No doubt.... the best one out there... 2 slots... one for cd or mp3 cd... other for Navigation cd or a Video DVD ...

navi, mp3, dvd, cd .... double Din unit so it looks factory.. what else can ya ask for...

Check it out (click here)

Last edited by CamRen; 12-11-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 12:18 PM
Cobra V
Driver

can someone please tell me exactly what parts come in the box when you buy the avic-n1 system?
Old 12-14-04, 02:40 PM
jboy
Driver

Anyone every install one of these units AVIC-N1 in a SC400. I was wondering how much work is involved? After having a GS430 with the ML Nav I an going through withdrawl.

jerry
Old 12-15-04, 07:00 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, AVIC-N1 is the best on the market right now. Pioneer is about to release AVIC-N2 and it has many new great features. You can upgrade your N1 to have features of N2. Personally I am waiting till N2 hits the shelves so I can buy N1 for cheap and to upgrade it.
Old 12-15-04, 11:35 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

can someone please tell me exactly what parts come in the box when you buy the avic-n1 system?
Package Includes

DVD/CD/MP3/GPS navigation receiver with 6.5" touch-panel video monitor
Sleeve
2 Metal side brackets (installed on unit)
4 Bracket screws (mounted on unit)
Trim ring
Detachable control panel
Hideaway unit
1 CNDV-40M (East) DVD-ROM (Version 1.0)
1 CNDV-40M (West) DVD-ROM (Version 1.0)
GPS antenna with attached 16.25' cord
One 2-3/4" x 2-3/4" self-adhesive metal sheet (for mounting GPS antenna)
5 Self-adhesive clamps
1 Self-adhesive waterproof pad
1 Red connector
10' 30-pin cable (has a 30-pin connector on each end)
9.5' Extension antenna cable (has a male Motorola plug on one end and a female Motorola plug on the other end)
Power wiring harness (has in-line noise filter/10A fuse and two fuse resistors)
Preamp output harness
16' Speed signal extension lead
16' Reverse signal extension lead (has in-line fuse resistor)
2 Metal side brackets
1 Rubber bushing
1 Rear support stud
4 Self-tapping bolts
4 Machine screws (each screw has a flat washer)
4 Pan head ISO-mount screws
4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
4 Machine screws
2 Fixing screws
1 Cleaning cloth
Operation Manual
Installation Manual (English/French)
Hardware Manual
Warranty sheet
"Warning" sheet
Registration card
Old 12-15-04, 11:58 PM
Cobra V
Driver

Originally posted by retrodrive
Yes, AVIC-N1 is the best on the market right now. Pioneer is about to release AVIC-N2 and it has many new great features. You can upgrade your N1 to have features of N2. Personally I am waiting till N2 hits the shelves so I can buy N1 for cheap and to upgrade it.
any more news on when its going to be released and whatnot? thanks for the info!

and thanks for your help once again Cliff!
Old 12-16-04, 12:29 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

any more news on when its going to be released and whatnot? thanks for the info!

yw.

I always try to help if I can.

Would any other CL members happen to be making their own big screen projector out of an LCD panel?
Old 12-16-04, 12:02 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll let you know after Consumer Electronic Show, which is on Jan 9th
Old 12-20-04, 03:03 PM
jboy
Driver

Originally Posted by retrodrive
I'll let you know after Consumer Electronic Show, which is on Jan 9th

Until then, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...541245,00.html has the press release!

BTW, can anyone confirm, or deny that the AVIC-N1 has a noisy fan? I have read some rather negative press about the fan.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Eclipse 2454? The 20 GByte hard drive sounds appealing (I wonder if it lasts and if you can hear it) and I can do without the performance screen in the AVIC.

jerry
Old 01-06-05, 10:05 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my eclipse avn-2454..

i started a thread few months ago regarding the install with tons of pics..

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket navigation system(s)?