Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

This is gonna be exspensive

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04 | 01:23 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Default This is gonna be exspensive

So, the SC lately has had various "Ghost" in the stereo system. Example the aftermarket amp and sub wont stay at a consistant level. Some days I have almost no bass others I have to put the bass **** at 12-O-Clock or everything rattles (same song).

So I went to my friendly neighborhood stereo shop to see just what a "start from scratch" system would cost.
That being:

-headunit
-componet speakers in the front
- rear speakers
- new sub
- 5-Channel Amp
- new wireing
- custom sub box
- dynomating

I was quoted $3000 installed and three days time to do it.

There has to be a better way! Any suggestions?

BTW: I'm not looking for the ultra best quality stuff. I just want somthing that sounds clean with better bass than the stock system. And yes I have searched, I am just not that into stereos so most of what I found doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 12-17-04 | 01:48 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Damn man,

Bring that thing down here and we can get it done for half of that. Don't pay someone to Dynamat - you can do that yourself.

Do you really need a custom box?? That's just $$$.

Spend some time on the electronics classifieds section and pick everything up from there. Then go somewhere with all the stuff and get them to install it.

Also, 3 days is completely unecessary. They should be able to do it in 1 day, aside from measurements for the sub box.

OLT is the guru of car electronics so I would wait for him to chime in.

All I can tell you is that $3000 is

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-17-04 | 02:13 PM
jboy
Driver

Default Re: This is gonna be exspensive

Originally posted by SC4Million
So, the SC lately has had various "Ghost" in the stereo system. Example the aftermarket amp and sub wont stay at a consistant level. Some days I have almost no bass others I have to put the bass **** at 12-O-Clock or everything rattles (same song).
That sort of stuff could be as simple as a loose wire. A few minutes with a voltmeter could save a ton of money..

jerry
Old 12-17-04 | 03:09 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I'm with Jerry on this one. Either the cabling, head unit, amp or sub is failing- isolate the failed component and fix/replace it. I see each of those for sale on eBay often, for a few hundred or less.

If you choose to replace the stock head unit with something else, make sure you are comfortable with the new look of your console- not everyone is happy with the change.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-17-04 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-17-04 | 03:49 PM
SC4Million
Driver

thanks guys,

yeah, I think its time to start doing some componet shopping. But thats the easy part, it is the intall that scares me. I cant remember where I saw it at but someone wrote up a really good pictorial on how to install everything in the car. He had to damn near take the whole thing apart. I just dont want to get in over my head

Like I said, I'm not that into car audio, but I am into music. Right now the stereo sounds like ****.

As for the current sub problem, it must be somthing with the factory amp or new amp because it didnt do this before replacing the sub/ amp.

The set up is Factory Head to Factory Amp; Sub wires from Factory Amp to High Level Inputs on New Amp. New Amp to new Sub.

I have installed a few car stereos / amps in the past. but I have never tackled a job of this size and complexity.

........maybe I'll just get an Ipod and a good set of head phones. Yeah, that would be safe...

BTW, I envy the GS guys and their lack of Giant-In-The-Way-Gas Tank...
Old 12-17-04 | 04:04 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Dude that stereo place is trying to rip you a new ahole, you can spend that much in components alone. Check out the audio forum as stated before and do your homework before buying anything new. Although you may not be installation savy, I bet after doing your homework you'll be able to select and install your own components. If you need any help pm me, my 2 cents.
Old 12-17-04 | 04:08 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

yea 3000 will get u a turbo, screw the stereo, get BOOST! and a cheap radio... LOL yea i agree 3k is alot unless u are buying super cool stuff and a totally custom setup...
Old 12-17-04 | 07:33 PM
SC4Million
Driver

lol, $3k won't buy me much boost on the V8.
Old 12-17-04 | 07:39 PM
jboy
Driver

Originally posted by SC4Million
[B]thanks guys,

yeah, I think its time to start doing some componet shopping. But thats the easy part, it is the intall that scares me. I cant remember where I saw it at but someone wrote up a really good pictorial on how to install everything in the car. He had to damn near take the whole thing apart. I just dont want to get in over my head
I am pretty sure you were looking at the sticky SC thread in the Audio section. He sure did have the car taken apart. It scared the heck out of me when I first saw all of the pictures.

Suprisingly the SC's interior does come apart really easily. The only tools you need are a couple of screwdrives and 10 and 12 mm sockets. I am no wizard at car stereo installs and I pulled the console, ,back seat, radio, and trunk out in about 40 minutes last Saturday to install an XM Commander.. The total time to install was about 4 hours, and that included running to the store to buy connectors and stopping by Starbucks for a Latte.

Regarding your subwoofer problem, you should check the amp and ensure everything is tight,. If it is, wait for the amp to quit working and measure the signal coming into the amp and the signal going out of the amp, and the power coming to the amp If something is coming in and nothing is going out and the power is good, the amp has an issue. If you have no power, then the power is bad,. If you have power, but no input signal, then something in head unit or cable to the head unit is bad.

jerry