Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Is this a good headrest monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 07:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Is this a good headrest monitor?

Is this a good headrest monitor?

POWER ACOUSTIK 7.2'' WIDE SCREEN STN/LCD MONITOR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Old 12-23-04, 05:11 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks pretty tacky too me. When buying car monitors you pretty much get what you paid for.
Old 12-24-04, 05:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by rgarjr
It looks pretty tacky too me. When buying car monitors you pretty much get what you paid for.
So which brand/model do you recommend?
Old 12-24-04, 08:59 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
So which brand/model do you recommend?
if you dont mind spending the money ALPINE imo is the way to go but if you don't want to spend too much maybe getting some monitors from accelle, fahreheit would be a way to go..Maybe even try getting some raw monitors so that you can have a custom install done..BTW-what size were you looking for??I may have something for you..
Old 12-24-04, 09:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by johnee78
if you dont mind spending the money ALPINE imo is the way to go but if you don't want to spend too much maybe getting some monitors from accelle, fahreheit would be a way to go..Maybe even try getting some raw monitors so that you can have a custom install done..BTW-what size were you looking for??I may have something for you..
Hit me up when you are online!
Old 12-24-04, 10:17 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

like johnee said, the Accele or Fahreheit , as I said on the other thread are what I use and very good medium performance monitors. I bought a raw monitor from Accele, but on the Fahrenheit, you can take off the frame pretty easy.

The Accele has two resolutions of 7" monitors offered last I checked, the more expensive one is closer to the quality of the Alpine / Pioneer monitors, but still less costly overall. The problem with the Pioneer and most other monitors is the frame around the screen takes up too much space to allow them to fit on the factory headrest. This is another reason why the other two brands mentioned are good, cause they have very little frame (look at my install pics).

An important factor is that you need to decide if you want to fit them to the factory headrest or build it up wider, or use the rear headrests, etc. Again the SAVV's are expensive, but the quality is excellent and look factory. Many installs I see of aftermarket monitors don't fit as clean as the SAVV's. Again $$ vs. what you need or want.

You DO get what you pay for in monitors.

I did get one of my monitors on E-bay, but only because I looked at the picture quality at a store before buying. Purchasing on Ebay site unseen is pretty scary if you ask me

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-24-04 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-24-04, 11:29 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have any experience with ICON monitors. I was in contact with a friend who said he may be able to get me sponsored by them. Any thoughts?
Old 12-25-04, 09:39 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed you should look into SAVV if you dont want to get an Alpine type monitor. The SAVV actually have a replacment so you don't have to cut your own headrests.
Old 12-25-04, 10:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hameed you should look into SAVV if you dont want to get an Alpine type monitor. The SAVV actually have a replacment so you don't have to cut your own headrests.
Where can I get them online and do they come in 7 inch sizes?
Old 12-25-04, 01:02 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Hameed, Get the indash First, then worry about the passengers in the back....

Look on ebay bro, they are so cheap, Who cares what brand they are, U want something good with warranty

I recommend like 6'' or so, 7.2 I think is way too big,

U can also have the kit that it does not cut into your headrest... it clamps to the back of the headrest.......

Last edited by lex400pshR; 12-25-04 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 07:15 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lex400pshR
Who cares what brand they are, U want something good with warranty
There is a huge amount of difference in picture quality in monitors. If you want them as a status symbol then any kind with warrantee is fine. If you actually care what you put into your car or if you want to satisfy yourself rather then some random people on the street, use whatever RMMGS4 is recommending.
Old 12-26-04, 08:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
like johnee said, the Accele or Fahreheit , as I said on the other thread are what I use and very good medium performance monitors. I bought a raw monitor from Accele, but on the Fahrenheit, you can take off the frame pretty easy.

The Accele has two resolutions of 7" monitors offered last I checked, the more expensive one is closer to the quality of the Alpine / Pioneer monitors, but still less costly overall. The problem with the Pioneer and most other monitors is the frame around the screen takes up too much space to allow them to fit on the factory headrest. This is another reason why the other two brands mentioned are good, cause they have very little frame (look at my install pics).

An important factor is that you need to decide if you want to fit them to the factory headrest or build it up wider, or use the rear headrests, etc. Again the SAVV's are expensive, but the quality is excellent and look factory. Many installs I see of aftermarket monitors don't fit as clean as the SAVV's. Again $$ vs. what you need or want.

You DO get what you pay for in monitors.

I did get one of my monitors on E-bay, but only because I looked at the picture quality at a store before buying. Purchasing on Ebay site unseen is pretty scary if you ask me
I've looked on ebay but cannot find any of these monitors there. Any other online store that sells any of these monitors?
Originally Posted by lex400pshR
Hameed, Get the indash First, then worry about the passengers in the back....

Look on ebay bro, they are so cheap, Who cares what brand they are, U want something good with warranty

I recommend like 6'' or so, 7.2 I think is way too big,

U can also have the kit that it does not cut into your headrest... it clamps to the back of the headrest.......
I already have the "other" components. All sitting in my garage waiting for some infusion of cash to install them.

And yes, quality does matter to me. I don't put anything cheap or junk in my car! It is a Lexus bro, it has to be treated like one!

I prefer the one that goes into the headrest rather than just being clamped to the headrest. It looks more factory that way.
Old 12-26-04, 08:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by retrodrive
There is a huge amount of difference in picture quality in monitors. If you want them as a status symbol then any kind with warrantee is fine. If you actually care what you put into your car or if you want to satisfy yourself rather then some random people on the street, use whatever RMMGS4 is recommending.
Exactly! We do these mods for ourselves not for someone else.

Last edited by Hameed; 12-26-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-26-04, 10:27 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

Wow, U guys R really blowing this out of context, hehehe

If U got extra $$$ to burn, go 4 it. I just couldn't justify it.

There are tons of good companies out there that make a really good product with a good picture resolution....

At the end of the day, its whats in the dash that counts... (thats the one U look @)
The Headrests R for peeps on the street or b****s in the back...
Unless U got kids... (which I don't)
Old 12-26-04, 10:29 AM
lex400pshR
Driver

Good luck with the project bro.... Can't waite for our meet!

Most importantly, Can't waite until summer!

Quick Reply: Is this a good headrest monitor?