Need Advice from the audio gurus on "planned" audio system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 07:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hameed,
It is a new unit that they will be releasing at CES this year. It is very nice, looking like the Eclipse double din. Perks of being a dealer for Pioneer is seeing their products before they are released.
Which Eclipse double din? The AVC 2454 that DaveGS4 has?
Old 12-31-04, 07:54 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I beleive just like the eclipse and the kenwood but really really nice looking. I was thoroughly impressed with the peice. Should be a winner.
Old 01-18-05, 12:44 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by will33184
ur choice of hd-62 is very good, though i dunno if u are talking about the new set or old set
As far as I know it is the newer set

if u didnt know, cdt is coming out with new hds soon.
plus, hd is a more in your face and powerful kind of speaker, if u want somthing refined and smoother id go with dyn or the eurosports or the iriduums or custom
Are the DLS Iridiums better sounding than the CDT HD-62's I have? Where online can I get the Iridiums?

the speaker itself is the strongest part of a system
what are u gonna use for rear door? i suggest a 5.25 or 6.5 braxial set or just coaxial run off hu
No I will not be putting anything in the rear doors as it "pulls" the stage away from the front of the car. Ideally I would like to compete in IASCA competitions and installing speakers in the rear doors is a big no, no as it ruins the staging environment.

and since u are spending big bucks and looks like this is gonna be a big install, why don’t u go horns, horns are awesome for sq and sound so smooth. Its just, the install will be tricky on a GS. The Image dynamics minihorn is good.
Tell me a bit more about horns please. I have absolutely no idea what this entails.......

as for your processing unit, i would say, if u can afford the pioneer then go for it, it is basically the best in its price range and there are only a few units (mcintosh, alpine f1, denon,clarion copper ,eclipse copper, etc ) that can be even considered.

u dont need the hi lo converter, u should just run everything through rca connection. or zapco link... and u do not need a capacitor, just get a yellow top battery. ur setup and use doesnt quite justify a capacitor. and a capacitor under most circumstances will just destroy your battery and alternator at a faster rate
Yes I already have the Pioneer DEQ-P9

as for your sound deadening u are going to want to use secondskin deadening. It’s the best ive used so far in installing and what I use in my own car. To do the doors, back deck , whole trunk, under rear seats and pillars u will need ~ 3 gallons of second skin spectrum V2 and like 100 sq feet of Damplifier pro. If u want to make your engine quieter, u can get their hoodliner as well. This will leave u with enough to do other areas as well
If u want to go nuts, get another gallon and another 25 sq feet of deadener and pull up all your carpet and do the floor.
Yes, I have lots of Second Skin Audio damplifier sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Not sure if I will do the floors yet. I probably will end up doing them.......

as for your subs, how much space do u want to give? sealed, or ported, bandpass, quarterwave, abc
I will build a baffle that goes under the rear deck and install the subs there facing upward. I want my trunk to be still usable to an extent. I am more into "performance" than "looks". So doing some thing showy is not a priority to me at all.

as for the sq of the subs I have, they really are very good for your setup, and they will move with as little as 300 rms each and take as much as 600 rms each. In sealed configuration they would please you. They can get decently loud and stay controlled and smooth.

But in the end its up to u how loud u want your bass
I don't want brain melting pounding bass. Just enough to meet IASCA SQ levels - 135 db. Sound quality is more important to me.

Do you still I need to get two 15's (like the RE's you have for sale here ) or stick to two 12's like the Image Dynamics IDMAX series for my needs?