Sponsored by:

Need Advice from the audio gurus on "planned" audio system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-04, 09:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Need Advice from the audio gurus on "planned" audio system upgrade

Need Advice from the audio gurus on my future "planned" audio system upgrade. Don't know when it will happen.

My goals are strictly SQ focussed and definitely NOT bling show. Quality of sound and an excellent and clean installation (similar to what DaveGS4 has done in his GS) is what I am after. I am more into performance than looks.

I basically want to have great audio quality up front with a Navigation system and LCD monitors in the back for my kids to watch DVD movies and also be able to play games (specifically PS2).

Here is the direction I am taking so far:

Head Unit
Pioneer DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9 (already purchased)

Speakers
- Front - CDT Audio HD-62ST with the SatNet 560 crossovers for the front speakers (already purchased)
- Subs - Pair of Focal Utopia 27WX or 33WX subs (not purchased yet and would consider something else if recommended) (not purchased yet)

Amps
- Zapco Competition Series C2K-2.0X 2 channel - for the subs (already purchased)
- Zapco Competition Series C2K-2.5X 2/4 channel - for the front component speakers (already purchased)

Sound Deadening
A whole bunch of sound deadening equipment from CASCADE - trunk kit, door kits, speaker kits and Second Skin Audio (already purchased)

Other miscelleaneous stuff: (already purchased)
- 1.0 Farad Lightning Audio Capacitor
- Street Wires Distribution block
- HI/Lo Line level output converter
- 4 gauge Lightning Power wire- 194inches long
- 4 gauge Lightning Ground Wire
- All ancillary wires, etc

Navigation system
Pioneer AVIC-88DVD navigation system plus an AVD-W6210 monitor. This way the nav system is completely separate from the audio system (not purchased yet)

LCD Monitors
Pioneer AVD-W6200 for the headrests they would both have dual video inputs with some good brand wireless headsets (3 channel wireless headphones by Direct Electronics) so that my kids can either watch movies or play games in complete silence (not purchased yet)

So as you can see, the only pieces that are missing (ie not purchased yet) are the subs, the nav system + monitor, the wireless headsets and LCD monitors for the headrests.

So the big question is, what do you think of the components I have purchased and if I am going in the right direction. I am not "attached" to anything I have bought and would be more than willing to get rid of something if I should substitute it for something better.

What else do I need to complete this (other than hiring a good installer of course)?

Last edited by Hameed; 12-26-04 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-26-04, 12:39 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks as though you are headed in the right direction. I don't know much about Focal subs so I can't say much about them. I do know that their component speakers are high end. I would like to suggest an Image Dynamics IDMAX subwoofer to you, possibly the JL W7. Take a look into those. They are very good. just be prepared to spend a pretty penny when you take this stuff to get it installed.
Go here for reviews on your Component set http://www.btopenworld.dealtime.co.u..._Audio_HD_62ST
Old 12-26-04, 04:35 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If installed right you are looking at a very top grade SQ competition system. The IDMAX is also a great sub as far as quality price and output go...it would be a good alternative to Focals especially if you are going to run it IB.
Old 12-26-04, 06:03 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by retrodrive
If installed right you are looking at a very top grade SQ competition system. The IDMAX is also a great sub as far as quality price and output go...it would be a good alternative to Focals especially if you are going to run it IB.
Hi Retro, thanks for the comments!

So if you could afford the Focals, would you still get the IDMAX? I found a couple of these in 10 inches on ebay for around $300.00 new. Cannot find the Focals though on ebay.....

I fully intend to compete in IASCA SQ competitions just for the fun of it, that is why I am going in the direction indicated.

The only obstacle I can see is how I would "install" the navigation system in the console considering the fact that the HU and Processor (DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9) will very likely be installed there...... Any suggestions on that?

Last edited by Hameed; 12-26-04 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-26-04, 06:33 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Focals Vs. the IDMAX.... tough choice. Like I said before I can't say anything about the focal subs.. go to forum.sounddomain.com and click on the subwoofer solutions section. Then do a search for the focal subs you want. I would almost bet money someone has reviewed the sub. Or go over to termpro.com and search in the forums there. If you are still unsure get in touch with someone that is in involved in IASCA. they will know something about the focal subs. I do know that the IDMAX has the capability to hit in the 140 db range...just something to think about
Old 12-26-04, 09:18 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

If I was to choose between Focals vs IDMAX, I'd go Focals since they have beter quality of sound (as much as I hate to say this). IDMAX will definetely hit harder and they are almost the same as Focals in SQ in IB applications. If you are going to use sealed or ported enclosure for your woofers, Foclas win. They can get loud and they have slightly better sound quality then IDMAX in those applications.
IASCA has 135db cap that you have to hit in order to get full score for SPL (35 points is max). If you are going IB, you can easily hit the cap with 2 IDMAXes but I have my doubts with doing it with 2 Focals. How are you going to run the subs boxed? IB?
Old 12-26-04, 09:34 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly what I was thinking about the Focals... do they have the authority?
Old 12-27-04, 08:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Pirate400
Focals Vs. the IDMAX.... tough choice. Like I said before I can't say anything about the focal subs.. go to forum.sounddomain.com and click on the subwoofer solutions section. Then do a search for the focal subs you want. I would almost bet money someone has reviewed the sub. Or go over to termpro.com and search in the forums there. If you are still unsure get in touch with someone that is in involved in IASCA. they will know something about the focal subs. I do know that the IDMAX has the capability to hit in the 140 db range...just something to think about
Thanks for the feedback. I actually did talk to a couple of people already - both IASCA competitors and judges and they preferred the Focals for SQ. It is not that big a deal for me for the subs to hit 140 db. My primary focus is more on SQ than SPL.

Originally Posted by retrodrive
If I was to choose between Focals vs IDMAX, I'd go Focals since they have beter quality of sound (as much as I hate to say this). IDMAX will definetely hit harder and they are almost the same as Focals in SQ in IB applications. If you are going to use sealed or ported enclosure for your woofers, Foclas win. They can get loud and they have slightly better sound quality then IDMAX in those applications.
IASCA has 135db cap that you have to hit in order to get full score for SPL (35 points is max). If you are going IB, you can easily hit the cap with 2 IDMAXes but I have my doubts with doing it with 2 Focals. How are you going to run the subs boxed? IB?
My preference would be to have them boxed so that the install is "cleaner" and the trunk is still "useful" for throwing groceries in there for example.

The bottom line is that SQ is my first priority not SPL, so I guess I should be getting the Focals?

Is it better to buy these online rather than from a physical store? I cannot find any new focals on ebay. I remember seeing them a year ago when I first started this journey, but I had to stop it as other obligations took over. Hopefully I will be able to do this install this year before August.

Last edited by Hameed; 12-27-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-27-04, 09:47 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hameed you are really picking out a nice system. With that being said I would try to buy things from a physical store as opposed to online for sake of warranty issues. Say you have a problem with something hyou bu online, now you have to go back to installed and pay them to take out the speaker then pay to have it shipped then pay to have it reinstalled. Yes the price in the beginning may be cheaper but in the long run it may be more expensive.
Old 12-27-04, 10:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Any suggestions on what to do regarding this?
Originally Posted by Hameed
The only obstacle I can see is how I would "install" the navigation system in the console considering the fact that the HU and Processor (DEX-P9 and DEQ-P9) will very likely be installed there...... Any suggestions on that?
Old 12-27-04, 12:07 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Any suggestions on what to do regarding this?
You can either get a flip out screen with navigation (AVIC N1) and install P9 and AVIC one on top of the other. You can also install your headunit somewhere else in the dash (fiberglass it in) if you really need the screen in your dash. The processor is a box that goes into your trunk so it won't take any space in your dahsboard either.

Pirate400: They have plenty of authority when ported. Then again I would not go sealed in SQ setup; but thats just me.
Old 12-27-04, 05:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hameed you are really picking out a nice system. With that being said I would try to buy things from a physical store as opposed to online for sake of warranty issues. Say you have a problem with something hyou bu online, now you have to go back to installed and pay them to take out the speaker then pay to have it shipped then pay to have it reinstalled. Yes the price in the beginning may be cheaper but in the long run it may be more expensive.
Good point Jeff.

How much do you carry this ( Pioneer AVIC-88DVD navigation system plus an AVD-W6210 monitor) for?

Originally Posted by Retrodrive
You can either get a flip out screen with navigation (AVIC N1) and install P9 and AVIC one on top of the other. You can also install your headunit somewhere else in the dash (fiberglass it in) if you really need the screen in your dash. The processor is a box that goes into your trunk so it won't take any space in your dahsboard either.
I want to stay away from the AVIC N1 as much as possible. Which means I somehow have to fit the Pioneer DEX-P9 and the Nav screen in the dash. Not enough space there...................

Originally Posted by Retrodrive
Pirate400: They have plenty of authority when ported. Then again I would not go sealed in SQ setup; but thats just me.
Curious to know why you would go IB in a SQ setup and not sealed....... Please explain your reasoning.
Old 12-27-04, 05:51 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hameed I dont stock that stuff but I can get a price for you but that still wouldnt really help ya because u need someone close to you to warantee it for you but I will check.
Also wait until the spring because Pioneer is coming out with some unreal stuff that should blow you away it did to me, got me thinking about going Pioneer over my Alpine and I love Alpine.
Old 12-27-04, 06:25 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Why not mount the eq in your glove box?
Old 12-27-04, 08:24 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the subs I would consider getting a JL Audio 12W7. I know I'm gonna try and get one for my car. The thing however about these drivers is that they require a lot of power, about 1000 watts rms.

Quick Reply: Need Advice from the audio gurus on "planned" audio system upgrade