Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

advice please (no bass from new HU install)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04 | 02:07 PM
stock4now
Rookie

Default advice please (no bass from new HU install)

Hello Guys,

I just got the Eclipse AVN2454 installed in my car. I didn't upgrade any of the speakers yet. They're still stock at this point. I don't think my stock sub is working anymore. Is there anyway that I can check to see if this true? I know that there is a factory amp located somewhere. And, all the shop did was use a harness that they already had for the new HU, so there was no need to splice wires. I don't know if this might be the problem. Do you guys think that this is something that I can do on my own? I don't have much experience in the car audio field, but I did watch the guy take apart my dash to put the new HU in. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 12-27-04 | 02:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

First make sure that its not your setup / tuning.

Find a CD with some heavy bass on it and put it in.

On your AVN you should have two bass settings... one with the equilizer (pump up the far left of the EQ band)

Second is a setup option... my headunit is out of my car, but you access it from one of the bottom right two buttons I think. There is a 'bass' setup there with 0 - 4 and the < > symbols I think. You need to crank that up to 4.

Put the CD in and crank it up. You should be able to hear some bass or pop the trunk and feel the OEM sub for vibration.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-27-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-27-04 | 05:09 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Your OEM sub needs your OEM stereo to function. If you have installed an aftermarket headunit then you may not be able to use the OEM sub. Your OEM amp is what feeds the sub and I don't think you are using the stock amp anymore.
Old 12-27-04 | 06:48 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Hey Stock4Now, what model car do you have? I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Eclipse AVN2454 for my LX (now shopping around for prices) so I'd be very interestred to hear what you find about your subwoofer.

Also what do you think of it? Assuming you chose the Eclipse over the Kenwood and Pioneer (seems to be the popular choices on this forum).
Old 12-28-04 | 07:39 AM
stock4now
Rookie

Default car model

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a GS3.

Dave, I have already tried those two options and I don't seem to be getting much bass response. BTW, where did u have ur antenna for the navi installed? Mine is on the front dash, temporarily I hope. Also, did u have a TV tuner installed as well?

rgarjr, I was told we should be able to use the stock amp and sub, but please let me know if I am wrong. I eventually plan to upgrade everything else, but in the meantime, I would still like some decent sound.

ShadyJC, as I mentioned earlier, I have a GS. I really like the head unit. The functions are fairly easy once you get used to them. The dual drive for the CD and DVD is a big plus in my book. I really wanted a double din unit, so the poineer was out. I chose this over the kenwood bec after much comtemplation, I found that the eclipse has more of a stock look to it, and if installed correctly, it does not really look aftermarket. It also didn't hurt that I got a pretty killer deal on the Eclipse. If ur in so. cali, I would suggest this place for the purchase. The installation guys are pretty cool too, but the salesmen have some of the worst ethics I have ever seen. They'll try to screw you for everything, but stick to your guns, and they'll eventually fold.
Old 12-28-04 | 03:04 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by stock4now
It also didn't hurt that I got a pretty killer deal on the Eclipse. If ur in so. cali, I would suggest this place for the purchase. The installation guys are pretty cool too, but the salesmen have some of the worst ethics I have ever seen. They'll try to screw you for everything, but stick to your guns, and they'll eventually fold.
I'm in the LA area and actively price shopping so if you know a place I'm all ears! TIA.
Old 12-28-04 | 03:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by stock4now
Dave, I have already tried those two options and I don't seem to be getting much bass response. BTW, where did u have ur antenna for the navi installed? Mine is on the front dash, temporarily I hope. Also, did u have a TV tuner installed as well?
Mine is on the dash as well (can see it on this pic) but it doesn't bother me.

Old 01-06-05 | 11:01 AM
DavesGS
Pole Position

Default Avn 2454

Hey Shady Check Your Pm