Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Heard of Amega speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-01 | 03:35 AM
Overtaxed
Driver

Anyone know anything about Amega speakers? It's a Swedish brand but I know that it's available in the US too.

I did alot of research on car audio installers and found one that comes highly recommended and that has won Swedish and European SQ championships several times recent years.

I told them that I wanted the best SQ possible while keeping the head unit and amplifier and not doing to much damage to the car.

I asked about Dynaudios and they said that's some very fine speakers and they could get them for me if I wanted, but in their experience some people feel that Dynaudios are a little too "laid back" and "uneventfull". They did underlined that it's just a matter of taste.

For midrange och tweeters they recommended Amega that has a new line of speakers out.

For bass they recommended a 12 inch sub of another Swedish brand called DLS that is based on the Dynaudio (which is Danish if you didn't know) design.

They want to build a sealed box for the sub and power it with a JBL monoblock bp-300-1.

For the entire set-up including installation they want $1800.
Old 05-12-01 | 03:58 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Website? Any info? I'm pretty good at picking out the little details...

Percy
Old 05-13-01 | 02:05 AM
Overtaxed
Driver

Here's info on the subs from DLS. Mine is the UR12 from the Ultimate series.
http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/subs.htm

Amega's website is "under re-construction".

If my info is correct Amega was founded by a Swede working at Clif Designs (CD Technologies). The first generation Amegas was also heavily based on Clif Designs.

I read somewhere that they are optimized for off-axis applications. What does that mean?
Old 05-14-01 | 07:08 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Off axis just means that they perform well when the speaker is not facing directly at you. There should be a graph on the actual response 30 and 60 degrees as well as 0 degrees (facing you) as to their frequency response. IME, Clif Designes is more of a mid level speaker. Not quite Focal, Diamond, a/d/s/ or Dynaudio standards.

Percy
Old 05-14-01 | 09:40 AM
Overtaxed
Driver

I found a couple of reviews in mags and they said the old Amegas based on Clif Designes were OK but the new ones are great.

They do sound great to me, but my ears are not very spoiled. I can tell there is a small difference to the Diamonds I listened to, but I couldn't say which sounds better.

So, I think I'll go with Amega. I really trust the installer (they've been recommended highly by so many people) and since I told them that the price is more or less irrelevant I also trust they picked out what they thought would suit me and my car best.

I was surprised though that they didn't try and sell an EQ to me. Not that I would touch it but I would think it gives them more flexibility when fine-tuning.

After the installation they want me to come back when I've used the system for 40 hours for a final tuning and check-up. It's included in the price.