Sponsored by:

Best gear for audio line-in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 06:18 PM
gmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best gear for audio line-in?

I'm trying to set up a 1/8" jack for audio line-in on the stock/factory head unit that came with my '04 RX330. (It's not the mark levinson, not a dvd player, doesn't have GPS/Navigation - but it does have am/fm/in-dash 6 cd changer and tape inputs; i'll use the tape input if necessary).

Any recommendations on what gear to get, and best way to go about doing this? Seems like it should be simple, but i've heard different things about the best way to go. If i have to, i'll replace the head unit if that's the only way to avoid FM modulation (really don't want to go that route).

thanks,

Gmoney
gward@blarg.net
Old 01-10-05, 06:21 PM
gmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Default also..

forgot to add.. i'm mostly concerned with getting this to work, not making it too pretty. If the 1/8" female jack hangs down around my knee as i drive, and i extend it with a male connector to my ipod, that's fine; one thin cable that i can disconnect to make it invisible is fine.

thanks

gward@blarg.net
Old 01-11-05, 04:16 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the headunit does not have any aux inputs your best bet would be buying a cassette adapter and using that to hoop up your IPOD or whaterver you want. The audio quality does sound pretty good.
Old 01-12-05, 11:23 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try www.vaistech.com
Old 01-12-05, 11:24 AM
gmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Red face yah...

Thanks rgarjr, i was coming to the same conclusion myself.

The only other thing i could think of was inserting the shell (plastic) of a casette into the casette deck, to enable that mode. Without any magnetic tape in the casette, nothing would be running past the head reader, so there wouldn't be any hiss. Then i could inject audio from the ipod into the amplifier stream. Then, i'd come to my senses and realize this was a hella lotta work when a line-in to casette adapter would just do the job for me, and it's not like my direct-injection method would necessarily be any more pristine (i'm sure some noise gets created by direct injection, since the electronics will likely have slightly different impedance, etc etc)

If anyone has any recommendations on a good line-in to casette deck adapter, i'm all ears. A lot of the ones i've seen in stores look like crap; any recommendations on ones that at least perform well?

thanks,

Gmoney1
Old 01-12-05, 11:38 AM
gmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Smile Vaistech

Great info on the Vaistech; thanks. I've pinged them with a few questions and will let you know what i find out; this could be a very cool solution. thanks,

gmoney1
gwardatblargdotnet