Sponsored by:

AVN2454 install in GS4 w/Nak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 08:09 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Watching video on AVN2454 while moving

I am getting the AVN2454 w/back-up camera. I think I will be using the JDM kit that is available from Carson Toyota.

In any case, I asked a local stereo installer about installing all this stuff, and he's quoting me $2K-$3K for the install!!! That's not including the price of the HU. He's saying he'll have to rewire the whole car and install new speakers. Any way to do this cheaper where it will still sound decent? Any recommendations that I can give the installer? I believe the problem is that I've got the Nak system. My goal is to try to connect the Eclipse to the stock Nak amp. Is that even possible?

Thanks.

Last edited by sickntired; 01-24-05 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-15-05, 01:08 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sickntired
I am getting the AVN2454 w/back-up camera. I think I will be using the JDM kit that is available from Carson Toyota.

In any case, I asked a local stereo installer about installing all this stuff, and he's quoting me $2K-$3K for the install!!! He's saying he'll have to rewire the whole car and install new speakers. Any way to do this cheaper where it will still sound decent? Any recommendations that I can give the installer? I believe the problem is that I've got the Nak system. My goal is to try to connect the Eclipse to the stock Nak amp. Is that even possible?

Thanks.
Yes, to hack the Nak system is kinda tough / time consuming. But NOT $2-3K tough!!! Go somewhere else!

There is no need to use the Nak amp. The avn2454 has a built in 50X4 amp. It will sound just fine. I had the Nak in my GS400. I have an Alpine deck and it's running the factory speakers. It sounds better than when my Nak was installed. There is no way the installer would "have" to install new speakers. Only if you want them. This guy seems like he's trying to rip you off! Go elsewhere.
Old 01-15-05, 01:27 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say go somewhere else too. Even if you had to buy another amp to power your OEM speakers, it won't be $2k - $3k.
Old 01-15-05, 05:07 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

I will find another installer. What should I tell the next installer, then, about installing the AVN unit? Any install suggestions? Does the car need to be rewired? What would be a reasonable cost?

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-05, 07:16 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

before I go to my new installer, anyone figure out yet exactly which wire is the speed pulse wire?
Old 01-24-05, 08:13 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

I think I have everything I need for the install.

One last question. What do I need to do in order to be able to enter destinations and watch video while the car is in motion? My wife would be doing this when I am driving as I know better. Is it just a matter of interrupting the signal from the speed pulse wire via a switch?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-05, 07:51 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sickntired
My goal is to try to connect the Eclipse to the stock Nak amp. Is that even possible?
Please excuse my beginner's mentality, but what will power the sub and other speakers if the head unit is 50x4? Does it split power?
Old 01-24-05, 08:09 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I am having my installer figure this all out. I believe he is going to use the Eclipse to power all the speakers except for the sub. May not sound the greatest, but I think it'll do. I think he is going to also use a small amp to power the sub. Will know for sure on 1/31 when he installs it all.
Old 01-25-05, 12:19 AM
claus44
Driver

wait if you haven't gotten your 2454!! the new AVN5495 is coming out around march!
Old 01-27-05, 05:10 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Anyone know for sure where the speed sensor wire is on the GS? I just got a msg from someone that it is not in the ECU box under the hood on the drivers side. That person mentions it is behind the instrument cluster but doesn't mention which wire! Anyone know for sure?
Old 01-27-05, 05:17 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Actually, just found out which wire it was.

Its in an 18 pin white connecter behind the instrument cluster- green wire- pin 6.
Parking brake signal wire is in the same plug if you want to use it- pin 17- orange.

This may help a lot of people who will be installing aftermarket GPS's in their GS's.
Old 01-29-05, 02:18 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default I am going to install.....

......the new Alpine (NVE-N872A DVD Nav system with real-time traffic) when it hits the market, on my 2000 LS 400. It is supposed to be out in a few months, sometime this summer. I've seen the backup camera on pioneer's website too, and want to use it in conjuction with my alpine display unit (I believe there is an input for a backup camera)

I'm wondering if there is any way to integrate the Navigation system voice instructions with the audio of the NAK. What kinds of inputs/outputs (line level??) are there on the NAK and does it have separate amplifiers or are the amplifiers built into the head unit??

Also will this product help and how can it be used??

Alpine Announces VPA-B211A Hub

1-17-05 - Alpine's new VPA-B211A V-Hub Interface Adapter connects to the in-dash OEM video display. The VPA-B211A makes it possible for Ai-NET entertainment components to be added to the vehicle. With an additional third-party manufactured, vehicle-specific A/V adapter, the V-Hub makes it possible to use the Alpine graphical interface on factory radio displays and control Ai-NET systems with a remote control.

The VPA-B211A has an Ai-NET input, a dedicated navigation input and two auxiliary inputs. This opens up many doors for the addition of audio/video products, such as the KCA-420i Interface Adapter for iPod, which lets users search their iPod by playlist, artist, album or song name from the dash. The V-Hub also gives users the choice of adding either Sirius Satellite Radio or XM Satellite Radio service. Also, the V-Hub enables the addition of Alpine's new NVE-N872A navigation system.

When it comes to rear-seat entertainment, the V-Hub makes it possible to have a complete touch-screen system. By installing the TME-M770 monitor in the rear seat, this 6.5-inch wide touch-screen display can control all the functions of the monitor through its touch panel. This lets the rear-seat passengers control their audio/video sources completely from the back seat. Additionally, with the VPE-S431 video switcher/expansion module, rear-seat passengers can enjoy two different entertainment sources on two different monitors. The VPA-B211A can also help in the set up of a multichannel sound system. By adding the PXA-H701 digital processor and RUX-C701 in-dash controller for the PXA-H701, a center channel speaker and subwoofer to the four front/rear speakers, a factory set up can be turned into a multichannel system.

Any kind of help with this is much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Vic

Here's a link to the new Alpine NVE-872A Navigation System

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_in...e_traffic.html

Being a Nav system freak I can confidently say that this is going to be the BEST aftermarket unit out there. Prior to this, I had maintained that the ACURA OEM Nav system (also made by Alpine, but the user interface done by Acura) was THE BEST ......even so, I still think the Acura system will have a slight edge over the aftermarket version (I'm talking about the one in the new '05 RL)

here is a pic of the VP-B211A
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-05, 02:24 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Screenshot of the NVE-N872A

This is what it will look like when it comes out this summer:
Attached Thumbnails AVN2454 install in GS4 w/Nak-alpine_innovations_350.jpg