Sponsored by:

aftermarket headunit install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 03:16 PM
alister
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket headunit install

I've search for an hour and either there is no definitive answer or I'm using the wrong search criteria. I want to add a new headunit to my exiting Nak setup in my 99 GS400. I found the $20 plastic kit from the CL sponsor (I assume is still the best bet?). I could not, however, find information on a wiring harness. Please tell I don't have to cut the factory one to get it done. Any comments?
Old 01-26-05, 09:08 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking for the same info. Can someone come in and shine a light on this.
Old 01-26-05, 10:18 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what exactly do you want to do, get a new headunit and wire that up to your OEM amp and feed that to your OEM speakers?

I think that would definetly involve cutting some wires because you have to feed the audio signal into the amps input.
Old 01-27-05, 04:49 AM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr
So what exactly do you want to do, get a new headunit and wire that up to your OEM amp and feed that to your OEM speakers?

I think that would definetly involve cutting some wires because you have to feed the audio signal into the amps input.
Yeah i want to do this also. i like the current sound of the nak system (i don't need anything crazy) but i want a nice dvd/nav headunit, but i asume i have to buy a new cd changer. or can i use the stock 6?

any info would help

thanks
J
Old 01-27-05, 12:16 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to my buddies house today, and we are going to tackle it. He knows a ton about car audio, so I'll let you know when I get home.
Old 01-27-05, 04:52 PM
alister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J_RoK
Yeah i want to do this also. i like the current sound of the nak system (i don't need anything crazy) but i want a nice dvd/nav headunit, but i asume i have to buy a new cd changer. or can i use the stock 6?

any info would help

thanks
J
Nice to see I'm in good company.

Yes, I have a friend wanting to sell me a Kenwood KVT-911DVD setup with a few extra screens for a good deal. I like the current setup but, as a installer 'back in the day' for a few shops, I cringe at the idea of having to splice wires that may need to go back the way the were when I remove the unit.

I also couldn't find much about a possible adaptor from the factory changer to aftermarket units (like many Bose setups).

I look forward to your findings, audio28.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-05, 07:05 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, there's no diy, but I do have some good info. Me and my buddy were going pretty well with the install, until the harness. First we bought the wrong harness, and couldn't do the install. We then we were on a journey trying to find the correct harness. He went from fry's, to bb, all the way to pep boys, but no one local had it. I then called a local audio shop and found out they carried it. They were going to be closed, so I will be picking up the harness tomorrow.

The harness that you need to purchase is the Metra 70-8113 and not the 70-8112. The harness will plug up to your existing stock system with after market head unit. Hopefully tomorrow I will get things done, but for now I'm going to be celebrating my b-day. Cheers.......
Old 01-27-05, 07:29 PM
alister
Pole Position

What dash kit did you use? Try to post up here again after you get that all installed with that harness. Photos would be cool too!
Old 01-28-05, 08:39 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Wiring harness is wrong. They do not make a harness to bypass the amp system. We are trying to figure it now.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the harness for the gs audio system. I bought the harness but the pin configuration is wrong. I need to find the right pin config to make it work. This is tough work, wish me luck.
Old 01-29-05, 11:46 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

Have you looked at this post before: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=nakamichi+amp

I think that whatuusay mentions the info that you're looking for.
Old 01-29-05, 07:17 PM
alister
Pole Position

I hadn't seen the before. Good reference! That sounds like what audio28 needed.

On the upside, I took possesion tonight of my Kenwood KVT-911DVD setup that I want to install in the GS4. It came with two 5.5" screens to boot so that's an added bonus. I'm half tempted to try to install this all myself with some parts to buy online (that I learned of through here) and the knowledge I've gained from here. It's been a few years though so I'm a bit weary. I may check into installation charges elsewhere for the heck of it.
Old 01-30-05, 10:54 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Do I run speaker wires from the head unit to the amp or do I wire my speakers from the head unit to harness? I don't know where to put the speaker wires that are going from my alpine. If yes, where is the amp located at?

Last edited by Rich27; 01-30-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-30-05, 12:18 PM
alister
Pole Position

Look at the website in the message he mentioned, http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com. He has photos of the amp/ getting to it/ etc. I did see in that thread where someone hooked up their low-level pre-out to the Nak amp? That sounded a bit weird to me though. Did you try checking into that website though?
Old 01-31-05, 11:55 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

after hours of testing, we couldn't get it to work. we tried to test each wire, but it didn't work. i went to a known car audio store, and they told me i can't be done. if my speakers are 2 ohms, the head unit wouldn't be able to run it. if the speakers were 4 ohms they could do it, however the sub wouldn't work. looks like i'm going to be buying a new amp. if someone could shed some light on this, it would be great.
Old 01-31-05, 12:24 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

can someone tell me what the ohms are on a stock pioneer system in a lexus gs300 2000

Quick Reply: aftermarket headunit install