Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

I Unhooked A Wire And It Completely Shut My Car Down!!!!!!!!!!!! Neeeeed Helppppp!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 08:39 PM
Sc2jzge300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Unhooked A Wire And It Completely Shut My Car Down!!!!!!!!!!!! Neeeeed Helppppp!!!!

okay so i was taking my back seats out and the center console etc to prepare my car for a system installation...so when after i took out the rear seats and the center console, i was backing out the car and i realized that my taillight warning lights on and the abs lights on. so i checked my rear brake light in the rear windshield and it wasnt working and everytime i hit the brakes, i can hear this click from underneath the shift *** (its an automatic so right underneath the parking light area. i put a flashlight and i saw some spring rolled around two clamps or what not snapping...is that suppose to happen? how do i fix that?.......anyhow other then that theres this grey plug/wire under the stock subwoofer, right above the gas tank and i thought maybe thats for the brake lights so i had the car running and i disconnected the plug and my cars engine just shut down ...so i kinda freaked out there for a sec, i tried to crank the car without plugging it back in just to see if thats what caused it to die out on me and it didnt start...so i plugged it back and cranked up the car....after that the abs and taillight warnings lights kept coming on and the click was still coming everytime i hit the brakes. i restarted the ignition and the abs sign went away and the rear brake light started to work again although the clicking still did not go away...i kept the car running and after like 2-3 minutes the taillight sign came right back on and the brake light isnt working again...so at this point i dont know whats wrong and what to do next....PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 02-15-05, 09:30 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

you need to go plug back in what ever you unplugged and then reset the cars ECU. See if that helps. I think what you unplugged has something to do with the gas tank.
Old 02-15-05, 11:37 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds like you unplugged the fuel pump...
Old 02-16-05, 03:25 PM
Sc2jzge300
Driver School Candidate

then whats the deal with the ABS and my taillight warning signals? and where is the rear windsheild brake light wire because its not turning on, maybe it slipt of...?
Old 02-16-05, 05:48 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

your best bet is to search on it -- there's a ton of great information here, it just takes a little patience to find it.

Also, make sure all your bulbs are working for your brakelights.
Old 02-16-05, 06:21 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may need to sit back and think about what you just disconnected from your car. They are so many connectors in your car and you're the only one who know what you did.
Old 02-16-05, 09:03 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You may need to sit back and think about what you just disconnected from your car. They are so many connectors in your car and you're the only one who know what you did.

right beneath the rear deck is the gas tank, close to the top of the gas tank is the mounting point and wiring connector for the fuel pump.

He unplugged it and turned the car off.

at least that's the way I see it.
Old 02-17-05, 02:07 PM
leosls400
Driver

I think your rear center brake light connector is under the subwoofer cover on the rear shelf. You have to take cover off to get to the light, this is how it is in my LS400. Also, the clicking you are hearing is the safety release mechanism in the shifter. When car is on and if the brake is not pressed, you cannot get it out of "P"ark, when you press brake, this safety mechanism disengages and allows movement of shifter. I also think you disconnected the fule pump, so as others have suggested, plug everything you unplugged and reset your ECU.
Old 02-18-05, 06:30 PM
Sc2jzge300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leosls400
I think your rear center brake light connector is under the subwoofer cover on the rear shelf. You have to take cover off to get to the light, this is how it is in my LS400. Also, the clicking you are hearing is the safety release mechanism in the shifter. When car is on and if the brake is not pressed, you cannot get it out of "P"ark, when you press brake, this safety mechanism disengages and allows movement of shifter. I also think you disconnected the fule pump, so as others have suggested, plug everything you unplugged and reset your ECU.
hey thanks leosls, but i have a question...that "safety release mechanism" that ur talking about..well it never use to click out loud like the before so why is it doing it now? and what do i have to do in order for it to stop? if i plug back everything i unplugged and reset my ECU do you think it'll stop clicking? how do i reset the ECU...unplug the negative terminal on my battery for like 5-10 minutes right?