Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Viper 791XV Preinstall Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 12:43 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper 791XV Preinstall Questions.

Hello CL,

I have a Viper 791XV and I will finally be installing it sometime soon.

I also purchased the DEI 555U UNIVERSAL TRANSPONDER BYPASS for remote starting and The DEI 508D PROXIMITY RADAR MOTION DETECTOR. I have been reading on what other users have had done with their systems and wanted to know if there is anything I shouldl tell my installer prior to my appointment.

Some things I've learned are to:
1.) Make sure the SOLDER all connections versus using T-caps.
2.) Ensure that the installer is a VIPER AUTHORIZED Dealer/Installer or the warranty is void.
3.) Make sure the installer prints a diagram of my cars electrical system. (LexAristo)
4.) Give them all the time they need. (LexAristo)
5.) Get the key that goes into the 555u cut off or grinded so if someone ever finds it they can't use it to start the car.
6.) Mount the Shock sensor in a place that is easily accessible, in case I need to adjust it after the install.

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 02-20-05 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-19-05, 12:57 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Darius,

I had my 791 installed professionally and it took him 4.5 hours since I told him to take his time. The remote start is a great addition and I use it everyday. Main thing is making sure that the person who installs it on your car, prints out a sheet diagram with your car model on it. Other than that, my installer is in authorized vendor for Viper so it will be covered under warranty.

bryan
Old 02-19-05, 01:38 PM
JoeGS300
Driver

i have the clifford rsx 3.5 remote start/security alarm system. its great and i love how it pages me when my baby gets disturbed by something. i had it set to pretttttty sensitive. one time my pager went off when a bird pooped all over my windshield.
Old 02-19-05, 02:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoeGS300
i have the clifford rsx 3.5 remote start/security alarm system. its great and i love how it pages me when my baby gets disturbed by something. i had it set to pretttttty sensitive. one time my pager went off when a bird pooped all over my windshield.

How is your range on this? Did you ever try to test out the range or how far were you ever from your car and your pager went off?

thx.
Old 02-19-05, 03:09 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoeGS300
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. That's why I bought the proximity alarm. If someones standing too close - warned. If they don't get away, the alarm will page me to see if there's a problem.

Bryan, thanks for the info! I added your comments to my check list. I think I'll find a copy of the electrical system and BRING IT TO them. Haha. Just to be sure .

The Matrix RSX 3.5 and the Viper 791XV are the exact same system right?

One more question - How does this integrate with the facory system. Do you even use the factory alarm anymore? What about trunk release, I use this everyday?
Old 02-19-05, 03:45 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Darius,

You can still use the stock lexus remote to open the door. The thing is the moment you open the door, the alarm may go off. You then turn the key in the ignition and wait till the cluster lights turn on. Then you push the secret button (your installer will tell you where he puts it) and the alarm goes off.

I never had a trunk release, but with the viper, we programmed the AUX button to be my trunk release. WHen i press the orange button 2 times, my car is started. The way this thing differs from the LMW remote start is that you press the same orange button 2 times and it kills the engine. THe lmw, you have to walk all the way to the car and open the door, then step on the brake.

The range is great, I had a friend stand next to my car while i ran down the street to lock and unlock the car. The remote is good for about 200 feet and will let you know when its out of range.

Last edited by Wald GS; 02-19-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-19-05, 06:33 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks again Bryan.

I learned one more thing. Get the key that goes into the 555u cut off or grinded so that whoever finds it can't use it to start the car.

I can have my muffler guy cut in the 2 seconds with his torch

Last edited by TwentyTen; 02-20-05 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 07:54 PM
JoeGS300
Driver

the range is about a quarter mile, maybe less. advertise is a quarter mile. it can be longer if you have a direct view of the car. the stock alarm still works. i use the stock alarm+my clifford when i remote start. i do this when i want to remote start and i leave the headlights on auto when i wake up in the morning. if i leave it on auto when i dont want to restart the lights dont flash when the alarm goes off. i think the alarms are the same. they are made by the same people.
Old 02-20-05, 08:45 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Good feedback. What I am trying to see is that Clifford rsx3.5 advertises a quarter mile range. Now compustar 2wss advertises 1.5 mile range.. Now this is a big difference on ranges but from what I read(not sure if true) is that compustar takes longer for the signal to arrive to your beeper to notify you if someone is meddling with your car with that range..

Now with regards to viper791xv and clifford rsx3.5.. some people say its the same thing, but others say its ALMOST the same thing with slight differences.. Now if the 2nd reason is true I would like to know what exactly are the differences..

Darius, good luck with the install man.. How come you didn't opt for the tilt sensor also so this way you will know if someone is trying to tow your car?
Old 02-21-05, 08:26 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Good feedback. What I am trying to see is that Clifford rsx3.5 advertises a quarter mile range. Now compustar 2wss advertises 1.5 mile range.. Now this is a big difference on ranges but from what I read(not sure if true) is that compustar takes longer for the signal to arrive to your beeper to notify you if someone is meddling with your car with that range..

Now with regards to viper791xv and clifford rsx3.5.. some people say its the same thing, but others say its ALMOST the same thing with slight differences.. Now if the 2nd reason is true I would like to know what exactly are the differences..

Darius, good luck with the install man.. How come you didn't opt for the tilt sensor also so this way you will know if someone is trying to tow your car?
Thanks! Two of the differences that I've read about are the alarm tones are more unique with the Matrix RSX 3.5 and the Viper alarm may sound like every other Viper alarm The other difference is strictly cosmetic; the Clifford has a Carbon fiber remote cover and the 791xv has a Metallic Blue cover. The CF cover looks MUCH better!!!

There's a tilt sensor? That'spretty cool but I don't think I'll need it with the shock sensor and proximity alarm.
Old 02-25-05, 09:14 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

good luck with that prox. i've had 3 of them and every installer ive ever talk to hates them. I've had nothing but problems with mine.
Old 02-25-05, 01:00 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by inovashn
good luck with that prox. i've had 3 of them and every installer ive ever talk to hates them. I've had nothing but problems with mine.
What kind of problem????? Please tell!
Old 02-26-05, 10:13 AM
JoeGS300
Driver

i guess it goes off to easy for it to be effective. i just added a brake-to-steering-wheel lock. its sort of like the club but it hooks up from the brakes to the wheel. can never be too safe.