Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

2 (more) simple installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-01, 06:19 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...running the new 12V line ...im using the stock hole on the left of the battery. Do you know where it goes, cause i do not see it underneath everything. Dont tell me i have to take apart the dash to get to it...Anyone use the same hole to do it???

Secondly, dyn crossovers...im guessing that box that is mounted on the door MIGHT be a crossover of some type too? im just trying to think of a better place than really tight at the bottom of the inside of the door.
Old 05-27-01, 08:28 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Themi,

I think either Mean Gene or Manny used this location. Can't be sure. I didn't use this since there were too many wires wrapped up in the cluster so I took another approach and that was drilling the firewall at an exact location. One of my other buddies owns a GS4 so he knew exactly where to drill. (He had the sound system installed before I did) But I do believe one of the GS guys have used a power wire in the stock location.

That black box that you see is NOT the crossover. Don't mess with it! Probably VSC yaw sensor. The crossover is just a simple capacitor that's inside the enclosure of the midwoofer for the stock system.

Percy
Old 05-30-01, 11:37 PM
Jazziz
Driver

Themi,

I ran my 2 gauge, (for future capacity needs), thru that location and it was quite a struggle getting it into the rubber grommet, but not impossible. I used an 8 inch section of coat hanger with about 3 inches sticking out past the end of the wire. I capped the tip of the coat hanger with a tiny hard piece of plastic I had gotten from work to avoid puncturing any other wires, spiral wrapped my stiffener with electrical tape, then lubed it up with a generous amount of petrolium jelly. It took me about an hour to eventually work it through, with the help of my wife, that was the hard part, maintaining her patience. It came into the passenger compartment about 8 inches above the black box you referred to.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-01, 12:21 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Default Power Wire through Firewall

Percy, Jazziz, Themi, Mean Gene, and others,

Can you guys please post some pics of your power wire going through the firewall (engine side is fine)? I ran my 0/1 through by pushing the stock grommet aside but can't get it to seal completely (I think water can get in now - DOH!).

Thanks,
Old 07-16-01, 08:04 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

When I added some subs for a show a couple of months ago I beleive I used the location you're talking about. I ran 4 awg. through there, its a little difficult, just be resiliant. If you are having a problem sealing, just use a silicone or a caulk to seal the hole. Get something that will block water and will be easy to remove if you have to redo it.
Old 07-16-01, 10:14 PM
CoreY2K1
Driver

is it necessary to push the grommet aside and go through the firewall that way? i was hoping to go right inside the grommet with all the other wires. i'm using 4 gauge...