Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

New owner.Stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 07:25 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just found this board after browsing on the net but I have owned my LS400 90 model for about yr and I have a question about audio systems.
It is really a ***** to change the cassette deck on these cars since no one makes a cd kit for them.Every place I went to told me they would have to customize a kit to fit the cd area after it is installed.I am trying to get a bad *** double din Clarion cd player(the one with the big screen)I also plan on installing an amp in the back.I also understand the speakers in the doors are just like the nissans(maximas,300zs) and they have their own separate amps in each door.
I am have been discouraged every where I go.The amps in each door will have to be bypassed and the cd will need a customized kit.One guy suggested that i go to the dealer to see if they have stereo upgrade for these cars.Anyone heard of this?

I am also getting the Zennettis series 55s silver wheels with 245/40/18.
Anyone seen those?
Thanks guys!

Old 05-31-01, 09:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If they have a stereo kit upgrade at the dealership, it's the first I've ever heard of it. More than likely they won't. With the Lexus, you'll have to go all custom work. Fortunately, if you're good with tools and have a good amount of common sense, you can do the installation yourself. Or if you really trust a pro installer (and I mean REALLY trust them), then go with them. Speakers will have to be custom mounted as well as the head unit and any other aftermarket goodies. Well worth the time invested though!

Never saw the wheels.

What are your system goals? Just a bit better sound quality? More bass?

Percy
Old 06-01-01, 04:50 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default yeah better sound quality and more bass

This is not the dealer and this place is called American Radio.They claim they can customize a kit.They all said they have the Jigs(schematic) which they made from another car.If they had to customize it without the schematic then that would be around $250.They are charging only $75 to install my double din kenwood(includes the custom kit).I am about to run and have them install it.
In about a month I will also buy something called a free air sub(10/12 inch) for the back speaker and too bad no one carries it.I think kicker makes it.They claim it is better than going with the built enclosure in the back.I also bough an amp just for the free air sub.(single channel).Four channel amp will be pushing all four speakers in the door and at that time I will be replacing all the speakers since they all have those individual amps.
Am I doing good for a newbie who knows nothing about car audio?
I will let you guys know how the install went.
Old 06-01-01, 06:05 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

IMHO, the American Radio chain is one (small) step above Circuit City and Best Buy in terms of installation capability.

I'd be very wary of having them touch my GS.:eek:
Old 06-01-01, 07:58 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I definitely agree with RealMarty. ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GO WITH THEM?!?! This is where all of the nightmares that I have about "pro installers" come into play.

Percy
Old 06-01-01, 11:03 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default an alright job

They did quite an alright job with the double din head unitand the customized kit..This is a Kenwood double din headunit with cassette and CD.Very nice and making a kit that would fit this car is nothing from what I saw them do .Now I need to buy a free air sub (kicker) for the 10 inch sub in the rear and get a four channel amp for the door and tweeters.The 10 inch sub will have it's own amp. which will be a single channel.
Old 06-03-01, 09:01 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Free-Air Sub

No offense but it sounds like U're very new to the audio game? Don't let the shop sell U something that U don't need/want. Feel free to post up here & all of us will do our best to help. We still need to know what U want out of your system - sound pressure or quality? Personally, I'd steer clear of Kicker subs. They are good woofers but require lots of power to move them. U might consider JL Audio or even Pioneer for the free-air sub. I just can't believe that your shop told U that a free air sub will sound better than a sealed enclosure?! Free airs have their place but, IMO, a well designed & constructed sealed box will give U the best overall bass. If you're happy with the work that they did on your head unit, then by all means go back for the rest of the equipment. However, it's no big deal to install a head unit - I'll even confess that I used a Metra Ford install kit in my system & just fabricated a trim cover to go around it!!:eek:
Old 06-03-01, 09:35 PM
kobiejohn
Rookie

a quick note on the freeair application, all the subs mentioned are good quality, I would suggest taking some material you are familar with into the store which carries both and listen to them. Keep in mind they are not going to sound exactly the same in the store as in the car, but it will give you a very close idea of which one you prefer. I remember a few years back the subs were all in a comparison test (free air) and the oz audio 250h sub came out on tops, the author stated he did think a free air sub could actually sound that good in a free air application, the sub is no longer in production but I recently spoke with one of the techs at oz and he said he still has one. Try to take a listen and if your interested i can contact oz to verify they still have it.
Old 06-04-01, 10:49 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default Getting tired of shopping around

No one in atlanta carries a free-air sub from kicker or anywhere so I am going to have them build a sub with the enclosure.I will also buy a 4 channel amp in addition to my single channel.The single will be for the 10 inch sub and the four channel amp will be for all the speakers in the door.I don't even know why someone at circuit city will not recommend this built enclosure for the sub in the back and have me shop around for a free air sub from kicker.
Old 06-04-01, 02:08 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Getting tired of shopping around

Originally posted by blkstealthpaid4
No one in atlanta carries a free-air sub from kicker or anywhere so I am going to have them build a sub with the enclosure.
Have you checked with Car Tunes? Sound Sensation? Atlanta Auto Sound? Gwinett Sound?

All of the above are more capable shops than the average chain auto sound shop.
Old 06-05-01, 08:12 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Crutchfield!

If U really R set on Kicker, try www.crutchfield.com. They carry the Kicker line or U can even call them for their recommendation! Good luck with your project!
Old 06-11-01, 08:02 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default These places you refered me has none

Someone said Hi-Fi buy usually have a box etc.. that is made for luxury cars like the LS that will fit in without any customization.I am about to check with them before having something buid a box for the custom sub.Is it true that theses cars have fillings in the door panels and fenders with sand for the quiete ride ?This guy was telling me that it was a bicth to just run a wire from the headunit to the amp/speakers in the back.He said you will have to go through the fenders(sand) etc...
I even called circuit city and they don't work on Lexus' because of the amount of work involved.
This damn state!
I know someone can do the work just like I found someone to customize a kit for my double diun headunit.
I also hate to order this free air sub and I want wherever I buy this sub from to install it.