Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What hell is wrong with my system??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 05:00 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What hell is wrong with my system??

Hey guys, as you know I installed my audiobahn 12" sub and pioneer amp about 2 weeks ago. However, last friday night, my sub stopped playing for most of the night but then started to hit little by littl until it came back to working fine. I thought nothing of it, but now my sub stopped working monday after school and has not come back. Here are the things I have confirmind working:

1.) The subwoofer - Took it out and put it in my friends car with an aftermarket amp, worked fine
2.) The amplifier - Took it out and put in my friends car with both: his sub, and my sub. Both played off the amp
3.) Line lever converter - Just bought a new one today and tried it, still didnt work
4.) Connections inside the box, all visible connections

So here's where it gets wierd, I whipped out my voltemeter, turned on my stereo, and checked the speaker wires goin into the line out converter, and they were all getting voltage (implying that theres no loose connections or anything right?). So...what the hell is the problem?? Could it possibly be my RCA cable? Do those ever blow out?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

PS. No blown fuses anywhere, the amp is getting power, etc.
Old 03-03-05, 06:47 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have a good ground too.

Then check all your RCA connections. If that doesn't work then try putting your friends amp in your car. If you get no sound, try replacing your cables. After that, I don't know what to tell you except trying an aftermarket HU.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 03-03-05 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 07:14 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
Make sure you have a good ground too.

Then check all your RCA connections. If that doesn't work then try putting your friends amp in your car. If you get no sound, try replacing your cables. After that, I don't know what to tell you except trying an aftermarket HU.
Yea thanks man. The ground is solid as a rock, I sanded off a square inch of the fender (on the inside of the trunk), and the ground cable is held in by a metal screw, so I believe thats not the problem. All the connections are solid, but I think I may have not hooked up my new LOC correctly, its more complicated than my last one (so Ill givethat another go), and then if its not that, Ill go and buy another RCA cable, and if its not that, then I just dont know...
Old 03-03-05, 09:22 PM
Sc2jzge300
Driver School Candidate

alright let me ask u something...when u hook in the power wire, ground, and remote...does the amp turn on? does it have a light where u can see if its on or not?
Old 03-04-05, 09:50 AM
Eric Holdaway
Driver School Candidate

You may want to make sure that you are getting AC voltage, not DC, where you are hooking up the LOC. If you are getting DC, your LOC saved you an Amplifier.
Old 03-04-05, 04:52 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eric Holdaway
You may want to make sure that you are getting AC voltage, not DC, where you are hooking up the LOC. If you are getting DC, your LOC saved you an Amplifier.
Hmm I will check that for sure. Butthe wierd thing, I was using this setup for about week problem free, then she stopped workin. As for the amp, turns on with the ignition, and the blue LED on the front lights up when she turns on

Also, I got a new RCA cable today and tried that, that also did not work. So the RCA cable is fine

Any other suggestions? Thanks alot guys
Old 03-04-05, 08:07 PM
Eric Holdaway
Driver School Candidate

If your radio's output took a dive... ie. is putting out DC, then alll the rrest can be fine, but still no ssound.
Old 03-04-05, 09:47 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eric Holdaway
If your radio's output took a dive... ie. is putting out DC, then alll the rrest can be fine, but still no ssound.
So what would I do to remedy this, if this is what really did happen?
Old 03-05-05, 12:31 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your still uncertain that it could be your RCA patch cable then get youself some new ones and just connect them up to see.
Old 03-05-05, 07:22 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

I already did. Today Im gonna take out my rear deck again and run the speakers lines to the LOC from the before the stock sub amp, not after. Maybe the stock sub amp burned out?
Old 03-06-05, 03:33 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Problem, loose positive wire running from the stock sub amp, Im an idiot, thanks for all your help. OH, I also stuffed my box with poly-fill and have the sub facing the left side the trunk instead of up, SOOOOO much better