Sponsored by:

Bluetooth-verizon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 07:08 PM
pbels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth-verizon

Has anyone had luck with the 2005 and a VERIZON BLUETOOTH PHONE?
Old 03-04-05, 01:21 PM
thelarry
Driver School Candidate

Everything I've read (and my wife would tell you I'm compulsive about this) that Verizon is limited to hands-free. The newest patch will allow the car to display "Incoming Call" and will actually ring, mute the radio, and it says transfer data (like a phone book) to a computer. I've been at a few Verizon places (although not an official Verizon store), and they still say that the car connection (as far as the phonebook upload) will not work. I currently have Sprint, and really want to switch to Verizon and get the v710, but I'm not convinced that this is the right thing to do.

Let me know if you get any more information.
Old 03-04-05, 10:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I was just about to get the Motorola V710 Blue Tooth Phone, but then the Verizon guy tells me if I can wait 1 more month, they will have an new Motorola Blue Tooth phone with some upgrades, but most importantly the most updated software for better blue tooth compabitility. He also said they should also have some additional blue tooth models available (since they only have 2 at this time).
Old 03-05-05, 06:11 AM
thelarry
Driver School Candidate

I think he's talking about the Motorola E815...

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=663&gi=5

I would still be pretty sure that Verizon will not enable the technology that will allow you to upload your phonebook. As I mentioned, I really do want to have Verizon (service, discount through work, plan benefits), so I'm now thinking of buying a cheap bluetooth phone off of ebay just to upload the phonebook (as some have suggested on these forums).
Old 03-05-05, 08:01 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thelarry
I think he's talking about the Motorola E815...

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=663&gi=5

I would still be pretty sure that Verizon will not enable the technology that will allow you to upload your phonebook. As I mentioned, I really do want to have Verizon (service, discount through work, plan benefits), so I'm now thinking of buying a cheap bluetooth phone off of ebay just to upload the phonebook (as some have suggested on these forums).
Hey thelarry, Thanks for the scoop / link on the new Motorola phone. At least I have something to look forward to and a target date. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-05, 02:03 PM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Hey thelarry, Thanks for the scoop / link on the new Motorola phone. At least I have something to look forward to and a target date. Thanks again.

Don't count on the new Motorola bluetooth phone being fully functional in your Lexus. The v710 cannot upload a phonebook into a Lexus or Toyota, even when flashed with the most recent software. This is intentional on Verizon's part as bluetooth phones from virtually every other carrier will work with the cars. Also, the v710 will work fully with some other cars, notably BMW. To expect that Verizon will have a change of heart and install the necessary software into the newer bluetooth phone to make it fully operational in a Lexus is folly.
Old 03-24-05, 11:40 AM
dasadler
Driver School Candidate

Default Verizon will not work completely

I have a 2005 Rx 330 w/ Bluetooth integration. My son, who is a cellular expert, has a Verizon Bluetooth phone. He was able to integrate it (pair it with my car) and make calls. However, he told me that Verizon (unlike other carriers) deliberately disables some Bluetooth functionalities of their phones. For example, the ability to transfer data (phone book) from the phone to another Bluetooth device has been disabled.

This is because Verizon wants the users to buy data transfer capability from them using their proprietary technology – not the native Bluetooth technology.

Using a Bluetooth phone from any other carrier will allow full integration.

Funny, Verizon has the widest coverage area which is good for consumers and would normally increase their subscriber base then they do something like this that limits the users.
Old 03-27-05, 10:13 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asolare
Don't count on the new Motorola bluetooth phone being fully functional in your Lexus. The v710 cannot upload a phonebook into a Lexus or Toyota, even when flashed with the most recent software. This is intentional on Verizon's part as bluetooth phones from virtually every other carrier will work with the cars. Also, the v710 will work fully with some other cars, notably BMW. To expect that Verizon will have a change of heart and install the necessary software into the newer bluetooth phone to make it fully operational in a Lexus is folly.
Well the new Motorola phone is not out yet (still says 2nd QTR of this year), so I am patiently waiting, but need a phone soon. The Blackberry from Verizon is also Bluetooth, but I don't need all those organizer / email features.

Should just pull the trigger on the Motorola V710 this month? Your comments would be most appreciated!
Old 03-28-05, 11:31 AM
thelarry
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm caving

I finally decided...I'm going to get the V710, and buy a cheap phone on ebay to use to upload the phone booth. I decided that they will probably reduce the price of the v710, and that the e815 will still not have the ability to upload the phonebook. I finally picked up my new '05 RX and really want to use the bluetooth functions. If you go to this link, which I found throught the motorola website (hellomoto.com)...

Inphonic

It looks like the v710 is free!

At least here in NY, verizon's service is definitely the best. Since most of my friends and family have verizon, most of my calls will be free. Also, I get a discount through work.

I hate to give in to this, since it is ridiculous that Verizon won't allow full functionallity, but it doesn't seem like much of a choice. I'm hoping that by the time my contract ends, all of this will have been worked out.
Old 03-28-05, 11:56 AM
dsadler89
Driver School Candidate

Default Motorola V710 Bluethooth

I am currently using the Motorola V710 and although I am generally satisfied, I would not recommend getting the phone at this date given that there a better models coming out soon.

There are two reasons for this recommendation. The first is related to which carrier you are intending to use. In the U.S., the V710 is available from Alltel, US Cellular, and Verizon Wireless (VZW). If you are intending to use VZW, do not bother with the V710 as the disabled data transfer capabilities defeats the purpose of the phone book upload feature of the vehicle. I am not sure what Alltel and US Cellular does with the data transfer capabilities.

I use Verizon Wireless. They are great in terms of coverage, but have made a business decision to intentionally disable the OBEX (or data transfer) capabilities of the phone. Motorola builds the V710 with it enabled, but VZW claims that it has disabled the bluetooth data transfer capabilities for 'security reasons' (an inexperienced bluetooth user could upload a virus onto the phone). Other service providers (Cingular/AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile, Sprint have not disabled the OBEX features). As an alternative to the OBEX, VZW offers a data service that you must pay additional for. This would allow you to transfer data to an online VZW account. I have not used this service, so cannot tell you much about it.

The second reason I do not recommend the phone is really about the phone itself. As a straight phone, it is fine (and that is why I say I am generally satisfied with it). However, the battery life is poor. Many things affect battery life, but in general the V710 does drain pretty fast. The camera that comes with it is also of poor quality. Although I rarely use the camera and did not choose the phone for the camera, I do notice that it takes poorer pictures than my previous phone (Sony Ericsson T68i). The firmware (embedded software) freezes occassionally. The later builds of the phone may have fixed this and I believe VZW may have released a firmware update to fix earlier builds.

The one I am using is actually a replacement. My original V710 failed to take a charge after about 4 months of use.

Anyway, good luck with whatever decision you make. Check out http://www.phonescoop.com for more information on the V710 and upcoming models.

Note: You could always do as a previous post mentions and that is to buy an unlocked fully functional V710 on ebay. However, I wonder if VZW will allow you to use the phone on its network given their 'security' concerns.
Old 03-28-05, 12:05 PM
dsadler89
Driver School Candidate

Default Bluetooth Headset

P.S. If you decide to get the V710, a decent bluetooth headset is the Motorola HS850. I say 'decent' because no bluetooth headset transmits voice clarity as well as a corded headset. However, given that there is not too much background noise (the noise cancelling feature of the headset will cause the first syllable of your sentence to cut out), it is one of the better bluetooth headsets in terms of practicality, design, and range. I've tried a few (Jabra, Ericsson) and the HS850 worked best for me.
Old 03-30-05, 07:37 PM
mer24
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus bluetooth implenation the culprit

i hate to say this but I have a Verizon 710 and updated the software. No phonebook transfer in my LS420. However, before blaming it all on verizon, Lexus takes a lion share of the blame. You see. I just got my new BMW X-5 2005 and what happened. The phone book transfered automatically. So, if the Verizon phone can transfer the phone book on a BMW, why can't it do it on a Lexus? The answer is the implementation in the car. Actually, if it wasn't so expensiveI would be out of my LS430 lease and into a BMW or Merecedes. This is just one of the little annoyances I've had with my expense luxury sedaan. I remeber when I complianed about the nav system here and I kept getting it was the way it was supposed to be. That is until; Lexus came out with a free update which still in not as acurate as my new BMW NAv system. So, maybe its time we asked Lexus to implement bluetooth the way BMW did and eeryopne would be happy. Stop blaming Verizon and start blaming Lexus.
Old 03-31-05, 12:43 PM
dsadler89
Driver School Candidate

Default V710 transfers on the BMW?

Originally Posted by mer24
i hate to say this but I have a Verizon 710 and updated the software. No phonebook transfer in my LS420. However, before blaming it all on verizon, Lexus takes a lion share of the blame. You see. I just got my new BMW X-5 2005 and what happened. The phone book transfered automatically.
Mer24, I am curious to learn about your phonebook "automatically" transfering to the BMW. Is it using the OBEX profile or another profile to conduct the transfer? Can you check on your phone and tell me which firmware version you are running on the V710? I know I cannot transfer any data using my V710, regardless of whether it is to a car, laptop, or PDA.

The V710's inactive OBEX capabilties is well documented issue, but I am hoping you might have a different version of the phone/firmware. What region of the country did you activate your VZW service? Many of us would like to have the capability to transfer the phonebook without having to buy a BMX X-5.

Thx!
Old 03-31-05, 04:14 PM
mer24
Driver School Candidate

Default Verizon V710 works on my BMW with phonebook transfer

Software version 8700_01.40.OR. I live in the NY Metropolitan reason to the Northwest of NYC.
It does not say anything bout the transfer protocol.

All I know after pairing to the X-5, the phone book transfer. The BMW web site clearly states that their implementation of blutooth allows for phonebook transfer of this phone. They transfer has to do with the BMW motorola chipsets.

I cannot transfer to a PC with Bluetooth but can with a cable.

Look, this is a Lexus problem. Other manufacturers, save Lexus and Toyota have fixed the problem with this phone. They wanted to please their constumers. We showed it to our dealer today and all they say phonebook transfer is not capatable wit this phone, only hands free. When the NAV disc was a problem, they did not acknowledge it at the dealer and one da a new free disc arrived. It is still not as accurate as my BMW.

I looked at the GX-470 prior to getting my X-5. My first X-5 had problems and that is why I was thinking of switching. The reason I stayed, however, was the dealer acknowledged that there were some known probllems and worked with me to fix it, not clam up like the Lexus dealer.

My next care will not be a fancy Toyota with free loaners on service. My BMW is serviced for free every 15,000 miles not $430 every 5000 miles on my LS430. If I could afford to buy out my lease, I would. The car has had several recalls, including the transmission being rebuilt in the first month.

I do not feel Lexus cares. We run like sheep when Consumer Reports rates it number one. I am sick of the dealer attitude in service.

I give up Sorry about the long winded post, just venting.
Old 05-29-05, 05:21 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I just got a V710 yesterday. Is there any way to tell if the version of the phone that I have has some sort of updated software that will allow it to work with Lexus/Toyota? I'm not so concerned about the phone book transfer feature, but I would like to know if it will ring through the car, mute the stereo, etc. Thanks for any help you can provide.

e

Quick Reply: Bluetooth-verizon