Sponsored by:

Help! Did I burn out my amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 09:20 PM
APU6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Did I burn out my amp?

I have a 5 channel Sony amp that I purchased brand new in 2000. I was driving home tonight and listening to the stereo when the sound suddenly cut out without any warning (i.e., no popping sound , etc.). All sources (CD, AM/FM, CD Changer) did not produce any noise. I turned the head unit on and off and it did not work. When I got home and opened the trunk (the amp is located in the trunk), there was a burnt smell like burnt plastic. I checked all the fuses (the fuses on the amp and the fuses on the power wire) and they are all fine, but the amp still did not turn on when I powered the head unit. I went inside the house to have dinner and came back out less than 30 minutes later to check on the amp. When I opened the trunk, the burnt smell was stronger and there was some smoke. I disconnected all the fuses to stop the power from going to the amp to prevent a fire (imagined what could have happened if I left the car overnight!).

Does this sound like I burned out my amp? If so, why didn't it trip any of the fuses on the amp?

My other guess is that my power line leading to the amp may have been chafffed or damaged and rubbing against metal. But I thnk this should have shorted out my fuse on the 4 gauge power wire from the battery and it didn't.

Does any body have any thoughts on what the problem could be? If it's not the amp, then I really want to know to prevent a potential fire hazard.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-24-05, 02:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-GS400
My other guess is that my power line leading to the amp may have been chafffed or damaged and rubbing against metal. But I thnk this should have shorted out my fuse on the 4 gauge power wire from the battery and it didn't.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike:
No question, this is a serious problem if not found and repaired. My guess is what you mentioned - chafing & damage of wiring. You may not have a direct short, but enough current can be flowing to heat up and melt insulation without blowing the amp fuse - the amp fuse is probably many amperes. One thing that may tell you if it is the amp is to completely disconnect the amp by pulling all the connectors, then put the amp fuse(s) back in and temporarily reconnect power - see if you get any smoke or if the burning smell returns.
If you did the install, you'll need to trace out your wiring and check it out. If someone else did, then they may have to do this for you.
One other thing to do if you're handy - take the amp out of your car and open it up to check it. Sometimes the problem is obvious. Look for burnt components, and anything that doesn't seem right. You can also have the amp bench tested by someone else to check it for functionality.

Jerry.