Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Blown fuse: is it the amp or wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 07:14 PM
leany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown fuse: is it the amp or wiring?

Hi I'm a newbie so bear w me. 92 sc400.
I went thru a car wash last week . The 20 amp under-hood radio fuse blew immediately afterward. I checked the trunk and the drain hose from the fuel filler compartment had come loose. I removed the wet Nak. amp, dried it w hair drier @ med.heat level, cleaned the electronic connections, and reinstalled the amp. Alas the fuse blew again as soon as I put the fuse in. The ignition was off. What do you guys think:: 1. a short in the amp? or 2. a short in the wiring.?

I don't want to incur a $ 275-$375 repair on the amp at FCSR (Factory Car Stereo Repair) if the consensus is that the wiring is the problem.

Thanks for your help. LEANY
Old 03-28-05, 07:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Smells to me like a short between a +12V connection and ground. Could be in wiring connectors OR amp.
If you haven't opened up the amp to dry it, I'd do that, and I'd leave it out of the car for a couple of days to dry as well. After that, you can try powering up the amp on a bench. Before that, though, I'd try to dry out the rest of the car on a sunny day (may not be possible these days on East Coast...). Open the back of the car up as much as possible to the air, a little evaporation will go a long way since you know the problem is likely to be temporary, knowing that the drain hose came off. If it is the wiring, it will probably dry out. Make sure you've also checked ALL fuses that can be affected.
Old 03-28-05, 08:05 PM
leany
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you kind sir. This makes a lot of sense. That's why ladies and gents the engineers make (should make) the big bucks.
Thanks again.

Oooh ... another thought . Although I reinstalled the amp, I did not reinstall the CD player (which is defective). Could not reinstalling it cause a problem?

Last edited by leany; 03-29-05 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 08:14 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leany
Thank you kind sir. This makes a lot of sense. That's why ladies and gents the engineers make (should make) the big bucks.
Thanks again.

Oooh ... another thought . Although I reinstalled the amp, I did not reinstall the CD player (which is defective). Could not reinstalling it cause a problem?
I really doubt that it would cause any fuses to be blown if not installed.