Sponsored by:

Not too happy with Elemental Design

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 01:06 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Not too happy with Elemental Design

I ordered the 11kv2 as a JL 10ib4 replacement back in January knowing it was backordered. I was expecting about a 4 week wait, give or take a week or two. I didn't get the package til today; note I placed the order on January 26 and today is April 6. I wasn't mad b/c i've been working on a suspension project.
Anyway, guess what. Either in transit or from the factory, the sub got bent. There's no way i can mount this sub without it rattling. Edesign wanted me to call UPS. UPS told me to send it to them for them to do an inspection. I asked for turnaround time and they said they didn't know, plus they said they wouldn't notify the shipper until the inspection had been done. I said no way, so they suggested an on site inspection, to which I agreed. We'll see how long that takes.
Anyway, all in all I'm not too impressed with Edesign service. Right now i'm expecting a lot from this sub when i get a functional one.
here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Not too happy with Elemental Design-cimg0817-small-.jpg  
Old 04-06-05, 01:07 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

another one
Attached Thumbnails Not too happy with Elemental Design-cimg0818-small-.jpg  
Old 04-06-05, 02:25 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH, looks like a shipping problem, dont be mad at ED for that, though that is one helluva long time to wait.
Old 04-06-05, 03:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mount the sub without it rattling? You've GOT to be kidding me? It's ridiculous to even suggest that - that sub is now garbage, unusable unless fixed at the factory, if that's even possible.
Have you been speaking with Kaosmoon of ED?
That certainly looks like a shipping problem to me as well, because if I was in the speaker business I wouldn't be in my right mind if I allowed that kind of thing to reach a customer. I don't blame Elemental Designs for telling you to go to UPS about it, but maybe they can give you more support in the matter if you need it.
That sucks. Hopefully it works out in the end.
Old 04-06-05, 07:46 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

You know I really dont want to start something here but I feel as though I should be able to say my 2 cents...I used to be a regular visiter at sounddomain.com and was on top of most new companies in the car audio world(still visit from time-to-time). when E-designs came out everything was great but it soon went down hill fast...main reason? you right! bad costumer support . Go over to forum.sounddomain.com and search for reviews of the company. There is a HUGE thread on them! So when I read the E-designs was becoming a sponsor of clublexus, well I almost fell over.

no2faber, what you are experiencing is others have been through. I wish you luck.
Thats all Im going to say about the issue and I will leave it up to others to do a little research!
However, I will say that each company had their supporters and non-supporters.

Last edited by FireCode; 04-06-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 10:17 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

there was a slight tear on the box but that's a serious bend we're talking about. it's metal. i mean it's possible it was damaged during shipping but i'm thinking it was a defect from the factory. it should be interesting to see what the UPS inspection person determines.

in regards to Pirate400's comment. i went the JL route and I got a bad apple on the 10ib4. brand new in the box but the sub rattled w/ out even being put in my car. i really wanted to give another sub a try. i was thinking of getting the IDQ 10, but sounddomain told me it wasn't a free air and they'd void my warranty if i used it as one. so elemental designs seemed like something that had good quality and bang for the buck.
i guess it's just not my luck w/ car audio.
Old 04-06-05, 10:24 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, it would take some serious pounding to get a bend like that. Unless the box wasn't properly packaged, I don't see how dropping a box with a sub in it can cause that kind of damage. That metal looks warped and needs to be followed up...
Old 04-07-05, 09:03 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by no2faber
there was a slight tear on the box but that's a serious bend we're talking about. it's metal. i mean it's possible it was damaged during shipping but i'm thinking it was a defect from the factory. it should be interesting to see what the UPS inspection person determines.

in regards to Pirate400's comment. i went the JL route and I got a bad apple on the 10ib4. brand new in the box but the sub rattled w/ out even being put in my car. i really wanted to give another sub a try. i was thinking of getting the IDQ 10, but sounddomain told me it wasn't a free air and they'd void my warranty if i used it as one. so elemental designs seemed like something that had good quality and bang for the buck.
i guess it's just not my luck w/ car audio.
The quality really isnt the problem, its the bad customer service.
Old 04-22-05, 05:49 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

got the new sub today
wish i have time to put it in this weekend but i think i won't have time til after finals

I'll open a new thread when i get it done.
Attached Thumbnails Not too happy with Elemental Design-cimg0843-small-.jpg  
Old 04-22-05, 06:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see everything worked out for you.
Old 04-22-05, 10:14 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

no2Faber,
Is the 11kv2 a free air subwoofer that mounts into the factory subwoofer location of a SC300/400?
Old 04-24-05, 02:27 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

yes
the 11kv.2's physical specs are very similar to the JL 10ib4 and should be able to fit with a 3/4" or 1" spacer. I used a 3/4" with the JL and it left very very little space, but with the Ed sub i think i can get away with the 3/4 spacer.

JL Mounting Depth: 5.69"
ED 11kv.2: 5.25
Old 04-25-05, 08:26 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Are you upgrading the sub amp to drive your 11kv2 ? What could I expect to pay to buy the 11kv2 ? Please let us know your comments on how it sounds and how much of an improvement this is, thanks.
Old 04-26-05, 10:27 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

i bought a kicker kx400.1 amp. the 11k.2 is $115.00 shipped and it comes with a 3 year warranty. go to the elemental design website. it's a pretty good deal so i couldn't turn it down. you won't get the most out of your sub if you go with the stock amps.
i'll let you know how it sounds when i put it in.
Old 05-02-05, 02:20 PM
sc300ccret
Driver

Not to thread jack, but where do you get a JL 10IB4? They are disco'd aren't they?

Mike

Quick Reply: Not too happy with Elemental Design