Sponsored by:

Time for an audio upgrade (suggestions please) SHOW YOUR SETUPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 04:53 PM
ONe21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for an audio upgrade (suggestions please) SHOW YOUR SETUPS

My wife wants a Cd player in her car, so I decided that I should satisfy her needs. I don't want to spend too much money on it. I'm going to try to stay below $400 (this is for a Cd headunit or cd changer). $300 would be better, but I'll be a bit flexible.

My goal is a nice clean install that looks stock. I threw around the idea of getting a stock Lexus Cd changer and calling it a day, but I don't know if that would satisfy me... I mean her. My main concern is the install, because I've seen some cheezy installs (i.e. big plastic plate with head unit in the middle and large spaces on top and bottom) I don't like how the little rim on the head unit hangs over the stock den area either; can you remove that without it being ugly?

I have access to fiberglass and carbon fibre, so I CAN custom fab something to make it look nice, but I need ideas. I'm not great at bond work and working with glass, but I think I can pull if off.

Suggestions? PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT
Old 04-09-05, 05:15 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Originally Posted by ONe21
My wife wants a Cd player in her car, so I decided that I should satisfy her needs. I don't want to spend too much money on it. I'm going to try to stay below $400 (this is for a Cd headunit or cd changer). $300 would be better, but I'll be a bit flexible.

My goal is a nice clean install that looks stock. I threw around the idea of getting a stock Lexus Cd changer and calling it a day, but I don't know if that would satisfy me... I mean her. My main concern is the install, because I've seen some cheezy installs (i.e. big plastic plate with head unit in the middle and large spaces on top and bottom) I don't like how the little rim on the head unit hangs over the stock den area either; can you remove that without it being ugly?

I have access to fiberglass and carbon fibre, so I CAN custom fab something to make it look nice, but I need ideas. I'm not great at bond work and working with glass, but I think I can pull if off.

Suggestions? PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT
I dont know much about it but our cars do have a pinoneer 400w amp from the factory and what looks like a weak 8"-10" sub right behind the rear seat in the center. Is it possible to upgrade that sub?
Old 04-09-05, 05:19 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RjRacing
I dont know much about it but our cars do have a pinoneer 400w amp from the factory and what looks like a weak 8"-10" sub right behind the rear seat in the center. Is it possible to upgrade that sub?
uhh I dont know that 400w, whered you hear that from
Old 04-09-05, 05:26 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
uhh I dont know that 400w, whered you hear that from
Through a buddy and I see the factory amps all over ebay. I have seen it right behind the rear seat, above the fuel pump.
Old 04-09-05, 06:20 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I seriously doubt that thing is 400w.
Old 04-09-05, 06:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

A forum dedicated just to this!

Moved.
Old 04-09-05, 08:41 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I tried the ABS way and I wasn't overly happy with it. The ashtray isn't perfectly shaped. From past experiences I would stick with stock, put in a cd changer and then XM/Sirius.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 04-09-05, 08:59 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Originally Posted by Pirate400
I seriously doubt that thing is 400w.
I thought the same thing b/c its really small, but that is what its labled as on ebay.