Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Ok, complete new sound system idea (overall schematic paint image for my 90 LS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 11:37 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Ok, complete new sound system idea (overall schematic paint image)

ok here is a link to something i just drew up wondering if this is about how it should look

i got a couple amps in mind

my 6x9's are pioneer 3ways 220watt peak
my 8" is a 600watt peak (might put 2 so thinking 4 channel amp)
not sure what the ohmage on them are though

does this all look right?

http://community.webshots.com/user/PlutoBHG

by the way for the 5.75" i meant to put 5.25"

Last edited by PlutoBHG; 04-10-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 01:21 AM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

not sure why the photo isnt working...when i copy/paste the link from the pic it works...strange

http://image46.webshots.com/47/0/9/7...9mmxbRF_ph.jpg
Old 04-11-05, 05:16 AM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlutoBHG
ok here is a link to something i just drew up wondering if this is about how it should look

i got a couple amps in mind

my 6x9's are pioneer 3ways 220watt peak
my 8" is a 600watt peak (might put 2 so thinking 4 channel amp)
not sure what the ohmage on them are though

does this all look right?

http://community.webshots.com/user/PlutoBHG

by the way for the 5.75" i meant to put 5.25"

PlutoBHG,

Your design looks workable. However, the first question to ponder is exactly what do you expect out of your system? Are you interested in being heard two blocks away? Are you seeking clean and well defined sound while sitting in your ride? What's your musical taste? The answers to these questions can help you design the best system for your money...and probably result in better suggestions on your proposed design from ClubLex members.

I used to design sound systems for dance clubs, so I'm into big clean, open and well defined sound...without a trace of distortion. Such systems aren't difficult to design, but require a little forethought.

Personally, I wouldn't use 6X9s on the deck along with your sub...unless you're using these units as mid/high sources...from about 200Hz and up. You may encounter phase problems on the low end trying to push bass through the 6X9s and your 8" sub.

Rod G
Old 04-11-05, 06:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Pluto, I'll try attaching for you.

THis is for a 1990 LS, right (updated your thread title)?

I'm going to move your post to the audio/video subforum but that will leave a redirect link so everyone in the LS forum will also see it
Attached Thumbnails Ok, complete new sound system idea (overall schematic paint image for my 90 LS)-319900979mmxbrf_ph.jpg  
Old 04-11-05, 11:49 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pluto, you can do this, but RodG has said it nicely - depending on what you're looking for in terms of sound quality, you may not get what you want. Always depends on how many $$$ you're willing to throw at it. In general, 6x9 3-ways are not your best choice in terms of sound quality. Also, you will need more than (1) 8-inch woofer to generate any significant bass. Driving the woofer with a 400 watt amp will not help, and may actaully cause you to blow it quickly, because you may find yourself turning up the volume to generate more bass.

Hey RodG, as an aside, your statement "I used to design sound systems for dance clubs, so I'm into big clean, open and well defined sound...without a trace of distortion. Such systems aren't difficult to design, but require a little forethought." is amusing. These systems ARE difficult to design, if they weren't, everyone would be able to do it. Give yourself a little credit.
Old 04-11-05, 03:39 PM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Pluto, you can do this, but RodG has said it nicely - depending on what you're looking for in terms of sound quality, you may not get what you want. Always depends on how many $$$ you're willing to throw at it. In general, 6x9 3-ways are not your best choice in terms of sound quality. Also, you will need more than (1) 8-inch woofer to generate any significant bass. Driving the woofer with a 400 watt amp will not help, and may actaully cause you to blow it quickly, because you may find yourself turning up the volume to generate more bass.

Hey RodG, as an aside, your statement "I used to design sound systems for dance clubs, so I'm into big clean, open and well defined sound...without a trace of distortion. Such systems aren't difficult to design, but require a little forethought." is amusing. These systems ARE difficult to design, if they weren't, everyone would be able to do it. Give yourself a little credit.
Engin_ear,

You're right! Guess I should give myself a little credit...I didn't learn how to do it overnight! It was after years of going to clubs in NYC as a youngster then reading everything on sound system design I could get my hands on! I noticed your Icon has a 1200 with the Ortofon tips...brought back good memories!! I still have my 1200s w/Ortofons back in storage in the states. My mobile rack consisted of the legendary UREI 1620 (finally replaced it with the Rane "1620" w/additional processor), Rane AC23 crossover, QSC power amps (3 3000As for the low end), Guass subs in custom made scoops, altec horns, altec mid-boxes (if you remember the old Voice of the Theater lines), JBL tweeters w/hanging cluster design etc. Looks like you're from or currently living in Jersey, so you may know exactly what I'm talking about!
Old 04-11-05, 07:22 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

yes it is a 1990 LS400
im looking for good quality (not the best cause of $...) sound and a little base, i dont listen to rap but i want to hear the bass when im jamming my floyd and stuff like that so an 8 with a little unf should do it? i will keep the 400 too much advice in mind, but i am looking for a nice amp with a bass control remote so i can keep it at a reasonable level, im not worried about impressing anyone out side of the car , only myself inside the car really also...i have the 5 1/4's installed, they are eclipse two ways, i went ahead and put pioneer 4"s in the rear doors and i wasnt sure that just putting the new sub and head unit would make it sound clean/loud enough so i figured id build two boxes for the 6x9's and use them not for bass but for mid/high range as well with a little more kick...my head unit has preamps o/ps for speakers and sub so i was going to just let the sub take care of most of the bass...any suggestions for sound quality instead of the 6x9 3ways? (bought the pioneers already but will return if i get some better ideas)

basically the goal is to play pink floyd fairly loud with not too much bass but adjustable if i feel like it and have it sound good
Old 04-12-05, 07:33 AM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

no suggestions? i also thought about mounting the 4"s in the rear deck and buying either another pair of 5 1/4's, some 6.5's or cramming the 6x9's in the rear door boxes...wasnt sure what would work better and i already got the 4's in there so...what do you think would sound better?
Old 04-12-05, 10:34 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Pink Floyd may melt your speakers. (j/k)
In my opinion there is no substitute for getting a system to sound accurate, no matter which type of music you listen to. Beyond that there are then tweaks that you can do for different music types.
Many of us have put larger speakers than 4" in the rear doors for enhanced midbass. Unless you plan on entertaining rear passengers at the expense of yourself, it typically works well to use increasingly larger speakers as you go toward the rear of the car. For a suggestion, instead of 6x9 3-ways, I'd use a good set of 6 1/2 midbass speakers (not coax), then use one or two 10's for subwoofer, enclosure optional.
We have debated rear fill here on CL for a long time. Some people prefer the soundstage primarily up front (usually the rock crowd), while others prefer a more surrounding, non-localized, more intense sound (rap, dance, etc). The latter usually applies to music that is not live staged, and is synthesized, etc.
Your last post seems to indicate that you would be trying to pair 4" speakers with other sizes. Highly NOT recommended. Instead, get a set of matched component speakers if you're inclined to do this. They will be matched in frequency response, they'll come with their own crossover. Just throwing speakers at the problem will not give you what you're looking for, it MAY give you volume due to the sheer number of speakers, but you'll wind up with peaks and dips in the freq response that will not sound good. Your music will be loud, but some of it will be missing and/or irritating.
Also, the better the highs and mids sound, the more you'll be wanting good bass to go with it.
Old 04-12-05, 06:44 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

any suggestions for an amp? somebody said driving my 8 with 400watts is too much, whats a good amount? and how much should i put to the 6x9's or 6.5s if i get them instead?

right now thinking of replacing the 6x9 3ways with 2way 6.5s

but is my 4channel 800watt amp a good idea or no?
Old 04-13-05, 06:37 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

To reiterate, one 8" is going to give you very little bass. Not recommended, unless you just don't like bass. The only thing 400 watts is going to do for you is give you a real good chance of blowing the speaker. If you're going to use 8"s for a woofer, it is customary to use 2 of them. (unless you tell me that you're using a JL 8W7, that would be a different story)
What happens with all of the other speakers that you're proposing is that with only one 8", you cannot even out your frequency response without cranking up the subwoofer, which will not be up to the task. The cabin speakers will be much louder in highs and mids.
If you do continue on your path to use the one 8", you should check the spec sheet on the woofer to see what the recommended RMS power level is. If you do not have that or can't get it, I'd recommend limiting the amp to 100 to 200 clean watts. Either way, you'll have to be careful to not crank it up so that it distorts. You can bridge your amp, but turn its gain down.
For 6.5's that are good quality, 75 to 100 clean watts RMS is sufficient. For higher quality speakers, some people use higher powered amps..

Last edited by engin_ear; 04-13-05 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-14-05, 04:00 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

im probly going to bridge 3 8"s together

and i found perfect boxes for my 6x9"s so im gonna keep them and amp them

thanks for all the info!