Sponsored by:

a fix for some stock cd changer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 04:58 PM
sluggo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a fix for some stock cd changer problems

I posted this on another board, this is my first post here. Sorry if this is known info, just wanted to share.

I had some luck today with a stock Pioneer 12-disc changer that had not worked in about 2 years. The problem was that after loading a magazine of discs, the unit would go though the magazine, index the loaded slots, and would often stop at one slot or another and the dash dispay would show "ERR". Or, if it did manage to load a disc and start playing, when I tried to change a disc it would often stop in the process and the display would show "OPEN". Either way, I had to open the changer, hit the reset button, and sometimes I had put a knife blade into the player and scootch a stuck disc back into the magazine.

So I took the changer out and took off everything so I could see the loading mechanism. I wired in a 12V supply and faked the door and magazine switches. I saw how the magazine would push the disc into the pinch rollers, and then the disc would just stop there while the rollers still turned. The unit would then push the disc back into the magazine and retry two more times, then move onto the next slot. Sometimes it would load a disc from a slot, and sometimes it would fail to load the same disc from the same slot.

Figuring the pinch rollers were dried up from time and temp, I used some Vinylex (Lexol's vinyl treatment) to clean the rollers. It took 15 minutes and 6 or 7 cotton swabs before I finally got a swab that came away clean. I added some more Vinylex to the clean rollers and waited a while, then went back and swabbed off the excess. Now when I tried loading discs they loaded every time, from every slot. I tried a couple of different discs, including bare CDR media and commercial CD's with lots of artwork.

So I put it all back together and put it in the car with a full magazine. It worked perfectly. Every slot was read, and changing discs during play worked just fine.

If you're having the same sort of problems I was having, you might give this a try.

Luck -

Sluggo

PS You may be able to clean the rollers with the changer still in the car, but you'll have to trick the loader into dropping out of the way. There's two switches you need to press - one that detects the closed door, and the other that detects the presence of the magazine. The door switch is a little silver tab and the mag switch is the big black pad.

Last edited by sluggo; 04-16-05 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 05:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Good info Sluggo. Thank you for the post
Old 07-02-05, 02:14 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Thumbs up Fantastic Posting !!!

Fantastic Lecture! Awesome posting, thank you again.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motor...3aerprot1.html
http://www.properautocare.com/classi...arsalspec.html
Old 07-02-05, 03:44 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Been Looking

I have been looking for thiss post for a couple of weeks.
I had read it a few months ago and it is the BEST answer to the 12-disc cd-changer
problems that I have ever seen. It would be service to this Forum to make this 'sticky'