Sponsored by:

Sponsorship: is this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 06:01 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sponsorship: is this for me?

I was waiting at a local stereo shop while waiting for my appointment for my hair. All of a sudden I'm talking to the owner ladi da.... we've met before. Next thing you know the conversation leads to sponsorship talk.

its kind of good timing b/c my car is almost at its halfway point IMO. he offers the following:

Alphasonik sponsorship w/ 2 shows for the year.. thats easy!
-2 maybe 3 12" PSW612 Subs the black/chrome one to fit my theme. approx 700rms per
-all the associated speakers inside the car and amps to power them all.
-custom trunk enclosure w/ dynamat.
-2 visor TV screens
-2 headrests screens
-DVD player
-NO headunit b/c i specifically want to keep my stock headunit.

-it happend so fast I had to get out of there and told him I'd get back to them tomorrow. I gotta think about it because I really am no audio pro. I also have a few ideas of my own for the custom setup.... I asked for fiberglass and he said of course. Car would be held up 2 days max which is what kind of got me all weird.... had he said 4-5 days then I would of been like, ok they are really gonna take their time and be careful. But 2 days max is like are they just gonna do a doo hicky job?

anyways...... he tells me retail on this setup would normally be around 7-8k but w/ the sponsorship it would come out to $xxxxinstalled. If this is the price then I'm gonna add in a few TV's for the trunk also so we'll see.... I'm not a big audio head but I do want quality.

does this sound pretty good to you guys? as for the shop, he has a few shops in the local OC area. He gets most of his business from the local walk in's that want to put a bit of bass in their vehicles. But i wouldn't consider their shops to be on the competitive circuit. Tell me what you guys think?

Last edited by UptownGS; 04-19-05 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-18-05, 06:07 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any pics of your car now

do you do shows now

is 2300 more than what you wanted to spend initially ?
Old 04-18-05, 06:09 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Were you wanting to $2300 into your car??

Sounds like a great deal but as you said - 2 days isn't very long to do a job as big as that.

I would be wary. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jonny
Old 04-18-05, 06:11 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ehh i dont know about the two day installation job. If he's going to do all that, install all that gear and get the fiberglass work done on your car... yeah... i'd say 4-6 days sounds safe. Perhaps you should ask about his other sponsered cars and ask for reference numbers. The gear sound good though.
Old 04-18-05, 06:18 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

here was my synopsis walking away from the shop:

#1 he does incredibly fast work and his notion of fiberglass entails a flat fiberglass board w/ maybe a few little window openings.... hence 2 days max

#2 He is a BS'er and is saying 2 days max to get me to sign and I get a crap job.

#3 He is a BS'er and is saying 2 days max when it will actually take 2-3 weeks, god knows how much time since he at this point has no standing behind his word.

in all honesty I hope #3 is what is at hand. Although, I'd obviously want everything in writing w/ drawings of the setup before we'd start.

PS.... no pictures until fanito.

anybody got any idea's of some cool trunk setups?
Old 04-18-05, 06:23 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

oh sorry forgot the other questions:

originally I was thinking $4-5k for the system but was not ready for the system until after all bodywork and paint was done.

so in a sense, i wasn't coming in expecting to pay $2300 just yet but I certainly would rather pay $2300 now rather then 4-5 later. I never put much thought into sponsorships b/c in the past the term has been mentioned but has never really sprung into anything.

I do not show my car for reasons I'm not going to get into at the moment. If i Had to show, then yes, I will be able to show at certain shows.
Old 04-20-05, 01:31 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as an owner of car audio shop myself. your synopsis was a good try. and maybe pretty close. some shops might say 2 days just to get the job booked and make it sound they can do it real fast so you wont be out of a car for too long. but then they realy take two months. the other ones can be tru too. his definition of a fiberglass install might just be the front of the box painted with a small fiberglass cover panel. etc. ask to see one of his portfolios or pics of other cars he;s done in the past. then judge by his previous work.

i know for myself, if i see someone who is into their car, and shows it off at car shows, i want to try and sponser them as well. (as a bonus to get my name out there and gain more business- obviously) so sometimes a cheap price might not always be bad.

well good luck with your decision.
Old 04-20-05, 07:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would NEVER do this unless you see pics of previous work, get a real good exact explanation of what's going into your car, see the shop guys at work in the shop to get an idea of whether they're chop artists, see actual cars the guy has done before (in person) especially with the fiberglass work, and talk to someone at Alphasonik directly. Waaay too easy to get scammed. He can tell you all kinds of stories after he has your car in the shop and it's all apart, and that's not when you want to find out.
Old 04-20-05, 08:29 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

nah I dont think I'm gonna do this anymore.... i'll lose out on my $100 deposit but who cares they'll probably give me the 100 back in store credit. Anyways, I just couldn't trust them w/ the work.... i' think I'll use my money to get my car painted and do my system on my own.... CDT here i come baby!