Sponsored by:

Infinity 12" sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 10:15 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Infinity 12" sub?

Whats good for Infinty 12" subs? I'm currently running a Pioneer 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer with Polypropylene Cone Model: TS-W300R on a JL Audio 250/1 amp. Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-05, 02:38 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Please clarify your question. Are you referrring to an amp to run your sub? Or....
Old 04-26-05, 04:37 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

No a 12" sub. to run with my JL amp.
Old 04-26-05, 10:48 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

How about a JL 12W6 V2? In an enclosure, sealed or ported, depending on your music preferences. This can be powered from your 250/1. Where and how would you like to mount it?
Old 04-27-05, 06:24 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not a big fan of ported enclosures so I'd probably go sealed. Right now I'm getting too much rattle from the back window where the 3rd brake light is. If I sit in the backseat and put pressure on it it stops it, but i was wondering if i could wedge something (small piece of rubber) between where the window meets the back of the inside of the car?? I do have the dynamat trunk kit and i'm not getting rattle outside the car (not even license plate) They have a dynamat spray i was going to try out and spray underneath where the stock sub was mounted (Stock sub has been disconnected) I don't know how effective this stuff is. Anybody ever use it before? Sorry to get off track, but is my amp capable of running 2 12"'s or should I stick w/1? Also how good is a Q-logic enclosure? It's what I have now but I don't know if I'd keep it to run a more powerful sub.
P.S. i'm mostly hip hop but I've been known to pop in a lil Deftones or Pantera in heavy traffic!

Last edited by superpats; 04-27-05 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-27-05, 07:53 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

First thing is, the best thing to do with your rear deck is to yank the back seats (usually you're doing this anyway when doing woofer work) and get to the exposed rear deck so that you can Dynamat Extreme it. The cost is reasonable and this will kill much of the deck vibration, but not all. I would not use the spray under there. For your third brake light, you'll need to play with that until you get it tight, yeah, you can use padding, velcro, dense rubber mat, etc., whatever works for you.
The wood Q-Logic enclosures are just OK, but I don't think much of the plastic ones for any serious applications. You can always build one that's solid, and to your own specifications, if you're handy and want to spend the time.
You'll have a tough time running (2) 12's with only a 250/1, unless you get efficient ones that don't have too much excursion (and thus no thundering bass either). Depends on your system goals. Usually for hip-hop, ported enclosures are better, ESPECIALLY if only one woofer. If you build a ported enclosure correctly, it will sound good, and give you higher output in the "hip-hop bass frequency band", if you will. Also depends on how you like to listen to your music.
No matter what you do, if you're going to increase your bass output, expect to have to do many tweaks to your car until you get it the way you want, especially in the area of de-rattling.

BTW, since I see your screen name and you're in Mass., I can only assume you're a Patriots fan. Since I'm an Eagles fan, I had to think twice about helping you. (joking, of course)
Old 04-27-05, 08:09 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
BTW, since I see your screen name and you're in Mass., I can only assume you're a Patriots fan. Since I'm an Eagles fan, I had to think twice about helping you. (joking, of course)
Well I appreciate you putting football aside and helping me out.