Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

2 12" Subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01 | 12:31 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Question

I installed a 10" free air sub and if I turn the bass control to +4 the bass starts overpowering the tweeters/mids.

I could only imagine what two 12" subs sound like. You guys with that setup (biggie27, disc 108 or anyone else), can you tell me if it overpowers the other stock speakers?

Also what level is the bass control on when you are just cruising and listening to your music? Do you ever put it on +7? I'm sure that will cause some mini-earthquakes.

Last edited by The_Best_GS; 06-16-01 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-16-01 | 01:11 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Off the topic... where are u located in brooklyn man?

Old 06-16-01 | 03:23 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Sub?

What's powering the free-air sub? R U running the factory amp on it or have U gone aftermarket? Been a long time since mine was stock but since the factory 4" speakers are really inferior in quality & power, it wouldn't take much to overpower them with bass!
Old 06-16-01 | 04:27 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

DIESELMAN63 wrote:

Off the topic... where are u located in brooklyn man?
I live in Canarsie... Are you a Brooklynite also?

Mean Gene wrote:

What's powering the free-air sub? R U running the factory amp on it or have U gone aftermarket? Been a long time since mine was stock but since the factory 4" speakers are really inferior in quality & power, it wouldn't take much to overpower them with bass!
I have a MTX 4250D mono amp and my 10" MTX sub just blew :eek:. Now I am without bass for the weekend.

What causes speakers to blow? The **** control (for the bass only) was set in the middle and the bass control (on the lexus head unit) was set to +2
Old 06-16-01 | 05:41 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The_Best_GS
[B]DIESELMAN63 wrote:

I live in Canarsie... Are you a Brooklynite also?

[

Yes, I am in the Bensonhurt/Bay Ridge area .
Old 06-16-01 | 06:39 PM
vj604
Driver

im out on LI, i have 2 cheap JBL 10's in the trunk...i keep my bass setting on about 7 or 8 usually ...i am usually listening to thumping house or trance or something...ive turned down the snesitivity on my amp, becuase i ve got the stock amp hooked in series with the new amp and so i still want the bass response from the 4 midranges....i dont get horrible overpowering or rattling mostly cuz teh gas tank gets in the way of good sound in my SC.
Old 06-17-01 | 08:21 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy Double Whammy!

Best - Usually it's distortion from underpowering a speaker that kills them, not the other way around. But after looking at the MTW specs from their website, it seems like U had a PERFECT woofer/amp combo! Might have just had a bad woofer - seen that alot with the new Kicker L-7 woofers ( inferior build quality which I'm sure Kicker will correct ). This bass combo is the answer to your original question though. U had a some solid power driving a better-than-factory woofer & it just dominated the factory 4" components & their wimpy amp! Time to upgrade those next when U're repairing the bass malfunction - sorry to hear of that but hope MTX will honor their warranty!
Old 06-18-01 | 01:41 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I got an AudioControl RCA volume control for my subs. It sits on the RCA connection to your sub amp. I had line run from my amp to the level control installed in my glove box. Now I have as much or as little bass I want without affecting the stock speakers.

Brian
Old 06-19-01 | 11:06 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Gene and Everyone,

I got word the other day from a friend of mine who will be doing my stereo install that Kicker HAS corrected the problem they were having. So it SHOULD be safe to buy the L7's now!!

Old 06-22-01 | 05:50 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Thumbs up Update!!!

I replaced the 10" free air-sub with a 12" Rockford in a custom box. This is the set-up I should have gone with initially. It sounds WAYYYY better. I get less vibration/rattle and the bass is clearer/tighter that the free-air.

Yesterday I noticed that the back of my car was a tad lower than another GS that was parked beside it. I wonder how much that box weighs...
Old 06-22-01 | 07:16 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Good Job!

Best - That's why Percy & I push sealed enclosures. Because of the fixed volume of interior air space, the bass is tighter & faster than a free air would be ( with an indefinite air volume surrounding it ). Not that free airs R bad - they have their place if space is a big concern. It's just hard to beat a small sealed box for overall SQ bass!