Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

GS430 Sound System Upgrade Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05 | 03:26 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Default GS430 Sound System Upgrade Help!!!

Guys,
I just joined a club of fast, slick and beautiful cars. I bought 2001 GS430 Black on Black with 84k miles at the Manheim Dealers Auto Auction in a very good shape. As you know this is the biggest east coast dealeers auction when dealers trade cars, I bought at a steal price of $19k, you can't beat it. Needs few things though. Looks like the person before me had a system and took it out when sold the car, it is a regular lexus system not the Levinson. The back door speaker do not work and it is missing the back woofer. I wanted to upgrade all 6 speakers front and back and free-air woofer to fit it on the back deck, any suggestions? What speakers? Amm? Sub? I was thinking of 5 channel JL amp and Infinity Kappa speakers if the fit and Infiny Perfect free-air 10 inch sub..
Old 05-11-05 | 04:41 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
Guys,
I just joined a club of fast, slick and beautiful cars. I bought 2001 GS430 Black on Black with 84k miles at the Manheim Dealers Auto Auction in a very good shape. As you know this is the biggest east coast dealeers auction when dealers trade cars, I bought at a steal price of $19k, you can't beat it. Needs few things though. Looks like the person before me had a system and took it out when sold the car, it is a regular lexus system not the Levinson. The back door speaker do not work and it is missing the back woofer. I wanted to upgrade all 6 speakers front and back and free-air woofer to fit it on the back deck, any suggestions? What speakers? Amm? Sub? I was thinking of 5 channel JL amp and Infinity Kappa speakers if the fit and Infiny Perfect free-air 10 inch sub..
I had the Infinity free air sub in the deck. It sounded ok, but rattled the rear deck so bad I took it out and threw it into a sealed enclosure. Sounds tighter and no more rattles.
Old 05-12-05 | 03:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You're going in the right direction. I'd first suggest you search the threads here for ideas, there are plenty of install pics and writeups.
Where are you in NJ? North, South?
Old 05-13-05 | 08:04 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

yea.. i am from east brunswick NJ, I know I am trying to find the best solution. I always liked the sound of Infinity Kappa Speakers. for the price they are very good and sound warm, i went on infinity website and put my car into fitting guide, they say it would fit 6.5' front and back doors and a 12' in the back rear deck. So I was thinking of putting Kappa Perfect 6.1 components in the front door, and 6.5's kappas in the back door and a 10 kappa perfect freeair sub in the deck or 12' JL ib4 and powering it with JL 500/5 amp. What do you think?
Old 05-13-05 | 08:43 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Well, I like your choice of speakers and amp, the 500/5 is excellent. You're looking at a lot of work though - that stuff is not drop-in. Also, you can't get JL 12IB4 anymore, there are other good choices. There are 4" speakers in the doors of the 430, front AND rear, and the sub is 10". The door speakers are in plastic enclosures that have to be removed if you are going to put in anything bigger. Many of us have done this, it requires making wood baffles to replace the enclosures. What I suggest you do is 1) do a lot of searching of the CL threads, there's a TON of info on doing these mods, as many of us have done it, 2) pull a door panel to get a good idea of what you would have to work with. There's also the issue of tweeters in the A-pillar area that you can replace, assuming you get Infinity separates that would fit.
You're other choice is to get an installer to do this for you, save you a lot of headaches.