Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stereo Questions ... Gene/Precy

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 02:27 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEY guys I just have a few question I would like to ask.

my sc400 has: 2 ecplise alluminum 15" svc powered by RFbd 1000 runing a total 2 ohm load, 5 1/4 " Mb quarts separates & 6 1/2 "MB quarts Coax powered by RF G800a4 running in 100W each channel @4 ohm (punch not power series) with a 1.2 cap, alpine 7865.

1st question.

I like to play my stereo fairly loud. Extremely loud actualy . I have found a certain volume setting (volume 25) that plays it extremely loud and clear, but after about 3 minutes driving around and without touching the volume setting. I notice that the extra high frequencies seems to suffer, but the bass does not. For now I have simply turned down the volume (volume 23) and I can cruise all day with this setting. Now can this be occuring because my amp for the mids and highs is the RF punch series and not the power series? My gain on my amps are about 1/2 turned up. Or maybe a week battery (but my car starts up with no problems)? any Ideas. Should of gone with PPI's huh...

2nd.
I also want to dynamat my sc400's entire trunk. I been looking around and found a great deal on dynamat trunk kit (75$). It has a total of 20sq ft consisting of 3 different dynamat types. Will that be enough? I know it's a dumb question, but I have a hard time measuring beacause I have a flase floor with 15's in the spare . Also how much better is dynamatt original vs dynamatt prem.

3rd
To install dynamatt all I need is an utility knife, hair dryer, and a roller. Correct?

4th
how much better will my speakers perform if I add foam stuffing in the sealed box?

THANKS AGAIN!! in advance...

Old 06-19-01, 07:42 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hearing

sc - I think that the answer to your first question is not a problem with your system. It's got more to do with the human ear & our hearing process. The ears R more sensitive to high frequencies & highs are very directional as opposed to bass waves which are omni-directional. That's why it's critical to place the highs in a location which R aimed toward the listeners. If U're jamming, I just think that the bass begins to overwhelm both the high frequencies & your ears' ability to pick up on them. At lower volumes the bass doesn't dominate the cabin as readily so U don't notice it as much. s far the Dynamat, w/o measuring your trunk I'd think U're safe with a 20 square foot roll - can always add more. The Premium does the same job as the Original in terms of resonance dampening but the material is about half the thickness so it's best for sides & overhead projects, plus there's a little less weight. The tools U mentioned R the ticket for installation - be sure & wipe down the bare metal with a good 3m solvent to clean off all the old residue although Dynamat will stick over most junk. The poly fill project depends on what U want - it tends to make the woofer think it's playing in a larger box by slowing down the backwave so if U want to try for some more SPL, it's worth a try. It's a trial & error thing at best - I helped my friend build his shop demo van which, back in 1988, won the USAC Nationals & we just put some poly in each woofer enclosure & measured the SPL gain/loss with a meter until we maxed out the pressure. IMO & IME (!!!), not worth the trouble unless U compete or just want to play & have access to a good meter so U can measure the changes. As far as the difference between the RF Power & Punch series amps, the RF specs say that the only difference is a better X-over in the Power series but after tearing into them, they're built better ( hint - lower impedance stability!! ) & had the opportunity to bench test one & it made about 25% more power in a 2 ohm load than a similar Punch series but R rated as the same - can U say "cheating?":eek:
Old 06-20-01, 07:51 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It could very possibly be that your ears are fatigued. With that type of sound pressure level I wouldn't be surprised at all! When tuning out a system I would only be able to critically evaluate for about 10 to 15 minutes and then save the settings, otherwise if I kept going on the tuning session, the settings become all messed up. You really hear it the next morning when your ears are refreshed! This is with the volume at a low level. At higher levels the ears really tire out quickly, especially at midrange and treble frequencies.

Hopefully you don't play at loud levels while cruising. If you do, be very careful as it draws attention to your system. I've heard of more SPL systems ripped off due to the inadvertent advertising more than anything else.

As for the sealed box...you don't have ANY type of filler? At the very least, use polyester fiberfill in the box. Just stuff the sealed enclosure with the fiberfill until it feels fairly full. Gets rid of the tin can sound. The fiberfill can be found at any local fabric store.

Try to keep those Dbs down!

Percy

Old 06-20-01, 03:11 PM
Carboxy
Rookie

Default sc400 amp

A,
do you know any nfo about a lexus sc400 amp? I want to buy one from a friend and I wanted to hear your opinion on it etc.. installation and if it's worth it or not?
R
Old 06-21-01, 03:59 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Default re: I'm not going crazy :-)

Hey guys I understad what u guys are talking about hearing fatigue. But I dont think thats it. I had a friend's listen to the system and he noticed it too. Just to be sure I listened to the system with open doors from the outside. Can it be the amp is "clipping". My friend indicated that clipping is when the amp is trying to amplify a signal but its "dirty". . Anyways... in either case that would mean that there is really nothing I can do about it. i just wanted to make sure that it's not like an electric problem or a sign of a weak battery. I'd like to thank both of you guys to reply.. I think I'll try to filler in my box.