Sponsored by:

SC400 Pioneer non-cd to Nakamichi

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-05, 08:05 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC400 Pioneer non-cd to Nakamichi

My '92 SC400 has a Pioneer deck with 6-disc CD through a FM modulator. What is odd to me is that the CD Changer is in the middle of the trunk, not the side as in all the pictures I have seen. I would like better sound, but I have a few questions regarding an upgrade to a Nak. First of all, would a Nakamichi CD Changer mount in the existing area in the middle of the trunk. Second, would I be able to mound a Nakamichi amp in the right quarterpanel like it normally is. And third, what would be needed, and how difficult would it be to run any additional wiring needed for the CD changer, and delete the exisiting FM modulator remote. Also, slightly unrelated, I am not sure if my subwoofer is working. I checked under my rear seats - no standing water. However, the bass does not seem like it has any power to it, and it sounds to me as if I am only getting bass out of my speakers. Unless the subwoofer is a really weak unit, I don't think it is working. If pictures are needed for anything I have said, let me know and I will take some.

Scott
Old 06-05-05, 11:02 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default It ain't stock, that's for sure!

Got a pic of the middle of the trunk?
Old 06-05-05, 02:49 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few pictures--crappy quality though since my camera battery needs charging so I used my cell phone camera.

Scott
Old 06-05-05, 03:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that's clearly an after-market install, but you probably knew that already. If you got a Nak CD changer and amp, there is of course room for it in the stock right quarter panel location (see pic of mine below). If you really wanted the CD changer in the middle, you'd have to fabricate a bracket to hold it, since the mounting points are on the bottom. Unless you want to try using it upside down (and it's not built to operate in that position).

Your biggest prob is gonna be using a Nak amp and CD with a Pioneer headunit - the wiring and connectors are different. Most of those w/a Pioneer headunit just get an aftermarket amp and changer and use the Nak Hack wiring diagram ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135995 ) to get it to work.

Whether or not your woof is working now is a moot point if you are about to upgrade to a new amp anyway. Wire that new juice up and see what happens- if still no bass from a new amp and wiring, then guess it's time for a new woof, too! Plenty of woof upgrade examples if you search.
Attached Thumbnails SC400 Pioneer non-cd to Nakamichi-image038.jpg