Stereo problems-humming noise/ what amp-sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 01:05 AM
zakkubin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo problems-humming noise/ what amp-sub

92 sc400
OK here is my first problem. I paid a stero place like $400 for 4 speakers and to install a Pioneer ( FH-P5000MP ) stereo. The problem is there is that humming engine noise in the speakers like the old pole position game. They wont fix it because I didnt buy the head unit from them... They said my alternator is bad? .On a side note after there install work -my entire door panel has now became so terribly loose that I have to tell my passengers to pull the door shut by lowering the window and pulling from outside.-they wont fix that either.... Anyway what can I do to get rid of that humming noise???

2nd problem is really just a question- What is the best value amp/sub I should buy. I dont want to mod anything my power and rca wires are already ran to trunk awaiting amp. I only have 4 speakers (plus the eventual amp) component ones up front (shop said tweeters would burn my radio up if they hooked them up) I still have the permium nak. sub back there but was told it wouldnt run with aftermarket head unit... Is this true if it is what is the best value sub i can buy that will just drop right in the old ones place. On thea AMP I only want 1 amp to run this all nothing fancy is needed here I just want a decent sound system.

Im only 18 and work at mcdonalds so money is an issue here. Would it be possible to get the amp and sub for around $300? ok this is long but any help would greatly be appreciated.

PS. I had some more money saved up but i just spend like $400 on tires.

This is the link to my head unit if it helps.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...157288,00.html

Last edited by zakkubin; 06-05-05 at 12:13 PM. Reason: didnt include model of car
Old 06-06-05, 12:47 AM
cam2Xrunner
Rookie

I'm more familiar with Toyota's but I would assume your Lexus has a factroy amplifier? Is that bypassed? Are the speakers wired directly to your new headunit?
Old 06-06-05, 11:33 AM
cal9126
Pole Position

i have a simliar problem only i still getting rpm noise when a shop installed my pioneer hu they bypasses the amp with rca's and it humms like a ***** when the car is only tuned on
Old 06-06-05, 05:39 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U usually get the alternator whine noise when you have an aftermarket pushing your 4 speakers. This happens because of poor ground on the amp or you have low quality rca patch cables, or you run the rca cables along with the power wires so it picks up noise by being close to them.
Old 06-06-05, 06:10 PM
zakkubin
Driver School Candidate

Default anwsers...

Ok the sound people told me that my oem amp wouldnt work with aftermarket speakers so I couldnt use it and I didnt have enough $ to buy an amp and sub... so they were just going to install my pioneer deck which would power only 4 speakers... But I did pay them a little extra to run all the cables I neededfor the amp to the trunk. The cables (I think 3) all run together into my trunk- This may be the problem? Anyway those cables arent pluged up to an amp or even the battery just the back of the head unit... The wierd thing is that I noticed my sub was working a little and the oem amp was hooked up. So I unhooked the oem amp and sure enough my stereo speakers seized to make any noise. ( not even the humming) anyway so they didnt even do what they said they were going to do. plus they said oem amp wouldnt work with aftermarket speakers...

So is my system wired wrong now?shouldnt the deck power the 4 speakers and the amp power just the sub? Can I just replace the oem amp with a better one?
Could the oem not be grounded right causing the humming? Thanks for everyones information.
Old 06-26-05, 01:30 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mine does the same things and my grounds are good and my power and rca's are all seperate. i still cant figure this out.
Old 06-26-05, 07:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like some funky wiring they did in there. What might have happened is they used the factory wiring harness to run the signals from the head unit to the factory amp and then back to the speakers since that is the original factory setup, otherwise there is no other reason for your speakers to stop working when you unplug the factory amp. They are right in saying you can't use the stock amp since it will not work correctly. The stock amps are only setup to work properly with the stock HU.

My recomendation would be to get the rest of your system ASAP and get everything reinstalled completely bypassing the factory harness preferably somewhere else since the guys you originally took the car to don't seem to guarantee their work. Also, read RGARJR's post. Run your signal lines on the opposite side to the power cable. Also make sure your grounds are good.

About why they don't want to touch the door panels, they get very brittle after several years and likely broke some of the support brackets off. You're gonna need to take it off and fix it or get a replacement peice. I wouldn't go back to those jokers.
Old 06-27-05, 08:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I wouldn't go back to those jokers.
This could be the problem:
Attached Thumbnails Stereo problems-humming noise/ what amp-sub-kerry_joker.jpg