Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

SC400 amp install confusion -HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 09:59 AM
CalculonSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 amp install confusion -HELP!

I have searched this forum deep into the night and have been able to gather only bits and pieces of information that is helpful to me. I know members of thes site have successfully done what im trying to do, so maybe someone out there can aid me.

Ok, i am currently right in the middle of overhauling my car stereo system. I am replacing the stock speakers with phoenix gold components, 4" in front and 6" in back. I am removing the lame free air sub and the amp that is powering it. I am installing two sony amplifiers, one for the component speakers and one for my 15" phoenix gold subwoofer that is going in the trunk.

The problem is, I want to keep the stock headunit.

So this is what I beleive to be true: I have the base sound system, meaning that I have the nak hu, 4 inch spakers in front and back, and a single amplifier powering the sub. A 12 dsc cd changer sits atop the amp. the only reason i feel i need to state the obvious is that the shop manual wiring diagrams dont seem to correspond with what I have. I cannot determine which harness carries my speaker wires and the other wires that I will need to run to my amps.

Basically, there is four terminals that pop out from behind the headunit. Could someone tell me which one (or ones) have the wires i need to run to the high level inputs of my amps? I can post pics if that would help but i havent done it in a long time so I may need some help doing that.

I have also beeen looking at using an rca converter instead and i know some fo you have used this method. Again I cannot figure out which wires I would plug into the converter.

I am a car stereo novice but my friend is an electrician that has done 3 or 4 stereo installs, so between the two of this we should be able to figure it out, but my friend admits that he has not seen a car stereo as complicaed as this!

any help would be greatly appreciated, as my center console as well as most of my interior is gutted right now.
Old 06-05-05, 10:30 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your search should have shown you the Nak Hack, which shows the function of each wire coming out of those 4 connectors.
Old 06-05-05, 11:51 AM
CalculonSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My search of keywords nak hack led me to a link to the base model sc wiring diagram. The same wiring diagram that has been confusing the heck out of us. I am confused as to why there is nothing going out of the head unit and into the cd changer. But thats not really the main problem...

The diagram shows the wires grouped into four sections (b1-6, c1-10, d1-6 and a1-10) totalling 32 terminals coming out of the head unit.Of the 32 available terminals, 9 are unused.

Physically looking at the harness,I counted 43 terminals with seven of them being unused.Looking at the terminals from left to right the first connector is a 15 pin. the second is 12 pin. third is 6 pin and the fourth is10 pin.

Am I missing something or does my harness not match up with the diagram?
Old 06-05-05, 12:18 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How "deep" did you search, anyway?

Sounds like you have a Nakamichi stereo, not the base model.

So you should be looking at:

http://www.technicalhelp4u.com/scnak.exe