Sponsored by:

After an exhaustive search, I have decided on Kenwood for NAV

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 07:03 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After an exhaustive search, I have decided on Kenwood for NAV

Greetings all, haven't been here for quite some time. Well, I've had my '98 GS 300 for around 3.5 years now, and was looking for a new toy. Since I replaced the in dash stereo right after I bought the car with an Alpine mp3 player, I figured it was time for a change. So, I went on a hunt for the right DVD/GPS-NAV/MP3/LCD player for my car, and came up with the following:

KENWOOD P-NAV7015 ( DDX7015 & KNA-DV4100)

Here's some reasons why, if you're a huge music fan like I am....

IT READS DVD+/-R MP3 DISKS! That's right - I created a full "data" mp3 disc with about 4.5 gigs of music on it, and it not only read it, but played it automatically. Not only can you set the screen to display the full ID3 tag (ARTIST, NAME, TRACK, ALBUM, YEAR, COMMENTS) (With the down arrow, this takes two screens at a time) but this information DOES NOT go away if you hit the volume or change tracks (the Pioneer D1 changed if you did this).

Also, I couldn't find another unit (neither the Eclipse AVN2454, Pioneer N1, N2, D1, nor Alpine) that would read MP3 DVD's. I now can put my 40+ GB of mp3's on about 10 blank DVDs and keep just one wallet in the car!

Also, there is only a very tiny delay (about .5 seconds) in between mp3 tracks, plus you can FF/RW mp3's. It's very responsive as well.

It's being installed tomorrow with the NAV unit; this is the first time I've ever paid to have any car stereo equipment installed.

PICS TO FOLLOW shortly.
Old 06-14-05, 07:58 AM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I also intend on doing the same project this week.
How much is your complete setup costing you?
If Im correct, the 7015 doesnt pop-out, but its a complete in dash 6.5" screen?
The route that your going, it does play your MP3s and it does have a DVD player but I was comparing it to the Pioneer d1.
But first, Kenwood just released their 7017 so the 7015 should drop in price or you may want the newer one.
Otherwise, Im wondering if you compared the 7015 to the Pioneer D1?
Heres what I found, although the D1 doesnt allow you to play DVDs, a simple 6 or 10 disc DVD/CD/MP3/Blablabla can be added for only a couple of bucks.
The D1 is also a flush mounted screen, not a popout.
The D1 has an ipod connection where if purchased you can attatch your iPod and it will show all of your songs listed on the D1's screen AND it charges your iPod... all that while its stored away in the glove or center console.
Further, the D1 is set for Nav when you buy it, you dont have to buy a seperate Navi unit.
Take a look here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d361aNY...fo&i=130AVICD1
Dont buy it from there... I think I can get it around 1250 then the iPod thing for about 80.
Although I sound very confident in that D1, I probably havnt done as much research as you have. Can you give me your feedback on the comparison of the 2?
Thanks man and good luck with whichever you go with!
Thanks!
Old 06-15-05, 12:09 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shnerez420
Hey,
I also intend on doing the same project this week.
How much is your complete setup costing you?
Had I installed it myself, around $1800. I paid an incompetent place to install it, and I'm going to re-do it myself.
If Im correct, the 7015 doesnt pop-out, but its a complete in dash 6.5" screen?
It is an adjustable screen, but snugly and comfortably fixed in a double din size opening.
The route that your going, it does play your MP3s and it does have a DVD player but I was comparing it to the Pioneer d1.
- I can listen to DVD MP3's AND run NAV simultaneously.

But first, Kenwood just released their 7017 so the 7015 should drop in price or you may want the newer one.
Otherwise, Im wondering if you compared the 7015 to the Pioneer D1?
Heres what I found, although the D1 doesnt allow you to play DVDs, a simple 6 or 10 disc DVD/CD/MP3/Blablabla can be added for only a couple of bucks.
The D1 is also a flush mounted screen, not a popout.
The D1 has an ipod connection where if purchased you can attatch your iPod and it will show all of your songs listed on the D1's screen AND it charges your iPod... all that while its stored away in the glove or center console.
Further, the D1 is set for Nav when you buy it, you dont have to buy a seperate Navi unit.
Take a look here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d361aNY...fo&i=130AVICD1
Dont buy it from there... I think I can get it around 1250 then the iPod thing for about 80.
Although I sound very confident in that D1, I probably havnt done as much research as you have. Can you give me your feedback on the comparison of the 2?
Thanks man and good luck with whichever you go with!
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last edited by sparky3; 06-15-05 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 05:05 PM
Shnerez420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that youve completed your project, would you suggest your unit or would you suggest I use the D1?
Thanks!!
Old 06-15-05, 08:11 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

The D1 has a very out of date Navigation system from all the reviews I've read. I love my unit more and more everyday! Once I figure everything out, that is!