Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help with my Audio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05 | 06:46 PM
Gt BubBle
Rookie

Question Help with my Audio!!!

Hey guys i need some help with an install i just made. I bought a pioneer AVH-P6700 when i was installing it the guy told me he had to Bi-pass the factory amp, so bought a 1200 Wt 4ch Amp with one fan, some brand i neva heard about for cabin speakers and a jensen 650Wt Class D Amp for the Pioneer 1000Wt Sub. Anyway i had it installed in the trunk and everything was working fine, now what is happening is that when i turn up the volume after 20 mins the cabin speakers turn off then turn back on in like 3 mins, but the Sub still plays.

Can someone tell he whats going on and what i can do to stop this. The installer said that i cant turn the radio up above 40 because the stock speakers is stressing the amo...which i think is garbage, But i do know the amp is hot...is that the reason ? if so if i put that amp in the cabin where it is cooler will that help?

Or should I get another brand i e MTX or RockFord.. i know they use heatsinks instead of fans so they displace heat better.

Please Help someone!!!
Old 06-15-05 | 07:52 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

1) What's the brand of amp? You never get anything more than you pay for. I'm likely to suggest mounting the amp back on your installer's shelf once we hear the brandname.....An amp must not only be able to amplify signals cleanly, but must also be able to dissipate its own heat, or it fries itself. Heat is the biggest enemy of electronics.
2) It sounds like your amp is "thermalling", meaning going into thermal shutdown. It is getting too hot. It takes a while for it to cool down and allow itself to turn back on again. This is not good for the amp or anything else. You probably do want to get a better amp, assuming everything has been wired correctly. Meanwhile, make sure the amp is in a location wherehot air can rise up and away from the heatsink, and that it's not in a location where the hot air is trapped or flows across the body of the amp.
3) Stock speakers shouldn't stress the amp unless they aren't wired properly. In fact, I'd expect just the opposite.
4) Sorry to say but Jensen is basically garbage, doesn't belong in a Lexus IMO. MTX or RF are better, Alpine/Eclipse the next step up, and we can go on from there...
Old 06-15-05 | 08:47 PM
Gt BubBle
Rookie

the amp is a volfenhang or something like that... dont laugh at me.. man i think i am gonna take it back tomorrow because its really pissing me off. I thought it was the reason i am using the stock speakers so i know they are wired correctly it has to be that amp.. i hope they take them back because he told me it was a average brand.. i knew i should have stayed with audioBahn.
Also its mounted on the back of the trunk i dunno if thats a good spot.. I feel robbed
Old 06-16-05 | 10:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Volfenhag amps are cheaply priced, so I wouldn't expect much, but I have no direct experience with them. I'd try using a better amp. Let your installer just extend the wires out to another amp and see what it does before mounting the thing in your car. You'll know when you have an acceptable one. Let it run for 20 mins fairly loud. If the problem occurs with other amps, something is miswired or otherwise not correctly installed.
No ones gonna laugh atcha. With amps it's ALWAYS better to save up a few extra bucks and put an extra $100 or so into it - it comes back later when your amp doesn't fry itself, doesn't die on you and cause a lot of uninstall/reinstall headaches, no downtime, constant on/off cycling doesn't bother it, and you can take it out of one car and use it again in the next. Of all the pieces of electronics, a good amp is the most likely to be re-usable.

Last edited by engin_ear; 06-16-05 at 11:00 AM.