Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Alpine head units in GS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 04:12 PM
CoreY2K1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i installed an IVA-C800 and DVA-5205 combo in my GS, but it seems the units stick out a bit farther than they should. i was going to modify the the existing bracket by drilling holes on the sides about 1/2" - 3/4" back from the stock holes so that the units will sit more flush. is that about the right distance? my old Pioneer stock faceplate is going to modified to fit the new DIN spaces...
Old 06-26-01, 02:33 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

That should work. I have the same front setup in my gs as yours. We did have to redrill the iso-brackets to sink it back farther. Just measure how much farther back you want to sink it a drill the brackets. Watch out for rear clearance, I had to tuck the wires on the bottom edge to get everything to fit.

I also mounted the remote eye for the 5205 in the center air duct with a L-bracket and some epoxy. You can not see it in the duct because of its dark color. It works out pretty good, if I am listing to cd or radio and my daughter needs to control the dvd she is watching in the rear seat she just point remote towards air ducts. Another better location is the dome lite but I did not want to pull my headliner, that would have been a real pain in the axx.

As for as the cover a purchased some 1/4" glossy black Plexiglass and cut to fit with a dremel (sp?). I have since contacted a woodgrain/dashboards company and the said if I sent the piece in the could make a cover piece to match the rest of the interior. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-01, 09:15 AM
CoreY2K1
Driver

thanks for your help. how tough was it to work with plexiglass? i've never worked with plastic before although i do have alot of experience with wood...
Old 06-27-01, 01:42 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

It is not too bad, I don't have a lot of experience with it. More than anything its time consuming for me, but I see techs who deal with it more frequently than I do and they can whip out a piece in no time.

The outside shape was done a table saw, I do not know if this is the safest way but worked to get a very close semi v-shape for the cover piece. Then the two din pieces were cut out with a dremel. I used the din trim ring which comes with both pieces to give a close proximity of the holes size needed. Traced it onto plexi ( the paper which comes on the plexi was left on until it was at the last stages so it would not have any scratches on it) and drilled a starter hole close to one of the edges. Then slowly cut out on the inside edge . I cut the hole too small intentionally and then filed the edges out by hand. If you get good you can cut the line perfectly without having to file the edges.

If you want all the edges to be glossy you can sand them with around 800 grit sandpaper and then get a hand butane torch and carefully go over the edges until they are glossy, I haven't done this to mine yet.

Hope this helps, I would post some pics but I am not sure how to do this.
Old 06-28-01, 04:31 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

kobiejohn,

Why would you have to even use the remote eye on the dva5205? I have one myself and a cva-1005 and when you use either a cva-1003, cva-1005, or Ivac800, you just connect the "remote out" wire from the brain (white/ w brown stripe) of the radio brain to the corresponding wire on the dva5205 and now the remote eye built into the head unit will also work the dva5205... Just thought that might help.
Old 06-28-01, 05:31 PM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Correct you do not have to hook up the eye, but if you put it in a good location it is easier for rear passengers to control the dvd player, they don't have to reach around and point at the ivac-800.

I also have rear alpine tme-monitors, they have the white/brown coming out of the brain box. Has anyone been successful to get this sensor to work the dvd thru they sensor on the monitor? I have spoken with alpine tech. support several times but have been unsuccessful to get them all to work together with the iva and dvd. This is one of the reasons I hooked up the remote eye sensor.
Old 01-02-06, 09:24 AM
ls4on20z
Driver School Candidate

Default anyone ever install an aftermarket radio w factory navigation on a GS????

i have a '99 GS400 with factory navigation has anyone ever installed a aftermarket radio below the navigation system to replace that small area where the radio controls are??

just wondering if there is a wiring harness for it to work in and still keep the navigation controls?

let me know if anyone has come across this

or have seen it done

email me at:

ur2slow4me2c@aol.com

thanks for any help