OEM stereo adapters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 08:51 PM
goldz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Reply to onelasttry

Hi!
Yes, I do have a camera. I'll try to get some good pics tomorrow. However, as you seem knowledgeable about Lexus electronics, maybe you can answer a question on compatibility. Currently, I have a lead on a 6 disk changer from a "99 GS. Will it work in a '99 SC?
Thanks,
Goldz
Old 03-24-03, 09:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

well, i'm not familiar with anything but the sc models unfortunately because i have only focused on the sc models in my studies. I just haven't seen the gs units.
Old 03-24-03, 11:48 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the head unit not only controls the cd changer but also displays the changer's status (you know, disc number, track, timing) it seems like a pretty tall order to get an afternmarket cd player to work with the oem head unit - or am I just insane?
Old 03-25-03, 09:40 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

yeah i just saw today that the blitzsafe even had one out but obviously that would be great if it actually worked...... i swear the whole board would probably buy the product if it worked. i posted soemthing in the sc forum but im sure this won't get as much attention.

Arthur
Old 03-25-03, 03:27 PM
silent66
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus SC Info

Originally posted by onelasttry
well, i'm not familiar with anything but the sc models unfortunately because i have only focused on the sc models in my studies. I just haven't seen the gs units.
I am looking for some details on the connectors and pinouts of various Lexus audio components including headunits, and amplifiers. If you have any pics or info, or info links you can provide, that would be great.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 03-25-03, 06:07 PM
goldz
Driver School Candidate

Default pics of convertor

Hi,
I was going to insert some images of my stereo, and the Blitzsafe convertor, but being new to this I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it done. When I click on IMG to insert my pictures, a dialog box opens up and prompts me to "enter text to be formatted". I think I'm supposed to type the url of the pictures, but they're on my hard drive. Any suggestions?
Goldz
Old 03-25-03, 09:33 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

IF THE 98 TO 2000 SC400 USES THE FIRST GENERATION 12 DISC THAN THE ADAPTERS COULDNT POSSIBLY WORK. THEY ARE SO RARE I HAVENT SEEN THE SOUND SYSTEM ON THE LAST 98 UP SC CARS.THE FIRST GENERATION CD CHANGERS WHICH USE THE 2 PIECE 10 BY 6 PIN PLUGS ARE ALL INTERCHANGEABLE WITH EACH OTHER BUT NOT THE 2ND GENERATION GLOVE BOX CHANGERS WHICH HAVE DIFFERENT HANDSHAKE PROTOCAL FROM HEADUNIT TO CHANGER ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..SO THE 2ND GENERATION ADAPTERS WHICH WORK ONLY AS A GLOVEBOX CHANGER REPLACEMENT ES,LS,RX, CARS COULDNT POSSIBLY WORK ON FIRST GENERATION RADIOS......................................................................... SO I CANT BELIEVE THE BLITZSAFE ENGINEERS BLEW UP THE CLUBLEXUS MEMBERS RADIO. ALSO I DONT SEE HOW THE ADAPTER IS GOING TO WORK ON THE 98 UP GS RADIO BECAUSE IT DOESNT EVEN HAVE A CD CHANGER CONNECTOR ON THE BACK OF THE RADIO.. THE CHANGER PLUGS INTO THE AMP ON A CABLE THAT COMES WITH THE GS CHANGER AND IS NOT PREWIRED............................................. THE NEW BLITZSAFE ADAPTERS PLUG INTO THE BACK OF THE RADIO NOT THE PREWIRED GLOVEBOX CABLE. IT BYPASSES THE CD CHANGER CABLE .AND YOU HAVE TO RUN A NEW ONE TO THE TRUNK AS NONE OF THE CHANGERS THEY OFFER WILL MOUNT IN THE GLOVEBOX. I DONT THINK THEY ARE GOING TO SELL MANY AS THE ADAPTER AND CHANGER WOULD COST MORE THAN BUYING A WORKING USED CHANGER WHICH WERE MADE BY PIONEER AND HARDLY EVER BREAK. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................... I CAN SEE WHY SC OWNERS FROM 92 TO 2000 WANT A BETTER CHANGER. THE 12 DISC IS FIRST GENERATION PANASONIC AND THEY SOLD IT TIL 2000. PIONEER WAS ON THIRD GENERATION BY THE 1993 LS400 6 DISC AND IS A WONDERFUL CHANGER THAT NEVER BREAKS,IT WILL PLUG RIGHT INTO THE SC WIRING HARNESS AND WORKS OFF SC HEADUNIT ON 6 DISCS INSTEAD OF 12. IT CAN BE MOUNTED VERTICALLY AND COULD BE REACHED EASILY WHILE STANDING ALONG THE REAR FENDER INSTEAD OF BENDING OVER IN THE TRUNK.
Old 03-25-03, 09:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

go here and get a free acount then upload them. then you can use the url of each photo. they need to be JPG format and that can be accomplished by just simply choosing "save as" when the picture is open.

http://future.boomspeed.com/
Old 03-26-03, 10:25 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

SO THE STEREO GODS HAVE SENT US A SOLUTION.... i think this is the first time anyone has ever actually given us a DEFINITE solution to our stereo problems without having to replace our headunit.

you have replaced your cd changer already? or how do you knwo this would work exactly? if this is true i am going to buy the changer and run it into my glove or something.

thanks lexusaudio
Arthur
Old 03-26-03, 06:52 PM
goldz
Driver School Candidate

Default 6-disk changer compatability

Well, the picture hosting service was down, but now I'm finally registered. Haven't got my confirmation # yet though. Pics really don't matter as it's a moot cause anyway. I've decided to find OEM components.

The post by lexusaudio didn't really answer any questions for me. He seemed to suggest that a Pioneer 6-disk from '93 and on LS 400s would work in SC models, but I'm guessing that's only true for pre-97 SCs. In 97 or 98 the SCs went to a Pioneer 6-disk player in the trunk, so maybe the head unit is different in the '97-2000s. Or not?

My SC is a '99 that I got a deal on, because it needed a couple of things, including a CD changer. I just was looking at buying a trunk mounted 6-disk player out of a '98 GS300 that worked with a Nak head unit, but it won't work for my SC because the molex connector is different than the counterpart in my trunk, plus it has a port for an m-bus connector that I don't have a wire for either.

In regard to the guy from BlitzSafe frying my radio, here's the story:
The real culprit is Autotoys.com. They sold me a convertor guaranteed to work with a JVC 1100 they also sold me - on '98 and up Lexus' with a Nak head unit. Well, it didn't. The connectors didn't fit my Nakamichi at all. They wouldn't take it back, and they quit corresponding with me. So, rather than be stuck with $300 worth of crap I couldn't use, I contacted BlitzSafe, the maker of the convertor unit and explained my problem. Ira, the main guy, asked for pictures of my Nak head unit, and I sent them. He said he'd need the head unit and his convertor, and should be able to make it work. Once he got the unit, he realized (as do all you SC owners) that the volume **** stays in the car, when the head unit is out. He could have seen that from the pics I sent, but he didn't. Evidently he only had worked on units out of the 4-door Lexus variety. To send him the volume **** would have meant sending him my temperature control **** as well, because they're integrated (as you SC owners probably know) and this was December in North Dakota. I needed that temp ****. Anyway, I guess Ira tried to make the convertor work for my unit, but lacking the volume **** was probably too much of a handicap. He should have quit right there, but he must be like me, and he didn't. Anyway, when I got my head unit back, it was messed up. With the convertor installed or without it, my volume is stuck on MAX, no matter if I use the radio, or the tape deck. I wouldn't know about the volume with JVC 1100 CD changer, because the convertor did not succeed in making it work.

So, here I am. I have a worthless convertor, a JVC changer I'll be lucky to get $100 for on e-bay, I'm down $300, and my Nakamichi head unit is screwed.

Now I am looking for a replacement Nak head unit, and if anyone knows if the Naks from the earlier SCs work in a '99, let me know. I also want a Pioneer 6-disk changer that will work in a '99, so again, if you have one, please let me know.

That's my sad saga. Hope it helps someone else out there.
Goldz
Old 03-27-03, 09:27 AM
silent66
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus LS400 / LS430

If anyone has any pics of the OEM radio connectors, CD changer connectors, or even has an idea where I can get samples of them, I would be interested to know. Sometimes you can get replacement radio harness or CD harness pigtails from the dealer for theft replacement, but the Lexus dealers out here all say that you have to buy the entire harness.
Old 03-28-03, 05:22 PM
goldz
Driver School Candidate

Default oem connectors

E-mail me at goldstone25@msn.com, and I'll send you pics of the connectors in my 99 SC.

Oh, and for anyone else it may concern, SC 300/400 Nakamichi head units from 92-2000 are interchangeable.
Old 04-08-03, 01:05 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So has anyone used a 93+ 6 disc changer out of an LS in a 92-97 SC400? I have a 93 SC400, want to keep my head unit stock, but want a better, skip free cd changer. I would really like to hear some success stories before doing this myself.
Old 04-09-03, 02:42 PM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS Changer to SC400

Does the LS400 6-CD Changer need to be from a Nakamichi system in order to match up to the Nakamichi system in my 95 SC400? Does it need to be "Nak-to-Nak" or will a "normal" 6-CD Changer from the LS word with my Nak?

Also, will all the graphics, red control lights and CD status on the headunit ALL work properly with this LS changer??
Old 04-09-03, 11:00 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

all the first generation lexus changers are cross compatible whether from a pioneer or a nakamichi system. the first generation lexus changers are distinguished by all having 2 connectors at the changer end ,a 10 pin and a 6 pin connector.......................................................................................................................... so you could use an es300 92 to 96 cdx-m9071zt or a ls400 93 94 cdx-m8036zt with very good reliability and results .. the first generation pioneer changer cdx-m9471zt found in a 90 to 92 ls400 had a factory defect so not as good as the later ones. the 93 to 97 gs 12 disc would also work but not recommended as it was first generation fujitsu ten and is even more trouble than the sc 12 disc which was first generation panasonic.all first generation changers by all the companies were trouble as it took several tries to get all the bugs out of them. so thats why i recommend the es 92 to 96 es300 and 93 and 94 ls 400 . by then pioneer had all the defects engineered out of them................................................................................... if you really want the ultimate changer for your sc 400 it would be the model i am working on right now to solve the sc repacement changer problem. it is the conversion of the current state of the art indash lexus cd changer for plug in and play use.in the trunk of the sc models 92 to 98. it would be the 4th generation factory changer and use the factory magazines this 6 disc pioneer made changer would mount with factory available brackets on top of the amp where the 12 disc is now in the trunk. everything will be lexus oem cd changer quality but electronically reconfigured to plug directly into the present sc cd changer wiring.i am in the testing phase for this new development and i expect it to be the definitive replacement for all those aging 12 discs. i even plan a 12 disc version of the indash pioneer changer converted for use in 92 to 98 sc 300 and 400.

Quick Reply: OEM stereo adapters