CD Changer (Nakamichi)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 10:47 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CD Changer (Nakamichi)

Hello.
My CD changer got all sudden stop working (still making noises when it works). It was working fine last night. But it stopped working this morning...The display in the car for audio is working and it says ''Err''. I unplugged battery, a Fuse for that, used blower to clean up magazine of its and inside of CD changer and clean the connection part with the CD changer in the trunk to fix this problem. However the display for audio keep saying Err...Does anyone experienced this kind of symptoms before and knows how to fix this problem? I will be appreciated if you could help me for that...Thank you.
Old 06-26-05, 07:45 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be a sign you need to get a new CD changer. Try resetting the changer. There is a reset button in the inside compartment where the magazine goes towards the front. Try different discs also.
Old 06-26-05, 02:00 PM
Kaukau
Driver

I tried to resetting the changer by pressing the reset botton already. Also I tried to different discs. I use an original music discs only. However it still keep saying ''Err''... Thanks for your replying, though.
Old 06-26-05, 07:40 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for replacements on ebay. Sometimes they pop up in the classified sections here. If you don't mind doing some custom installation work, get a 1996 ES 6 disc changer. They plug right into the wiring harness and they change discs quicker and resist skips better. They use differnt 6 disc cartriges.Good luck.
Old 06-28-05, 08:43 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Post Thank you :)

Look for replacements on ebay. Sometimes they pop up in the classified sections here. If you don't mind doing some custom installation work, get a 1996 ES 6 disc changer. They plug right into the wiring harness and they change discs quicker and resist skips better. They use differnt 6 disc cartriges.Good luck.

Thank you, T0ked, for continuous replying. I try look for a replacements on eBay. I was thinking decompose the CD Changer and take a look of stero receiver part by myself but...maybe not...It would be a time consuming... Did you change the OEM to (92-96) ES 6 disc changer by yourself or? Thank you again.
Old 06-28-05, 12:18 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey, I put an ES changer in my SC almost two years ago. Works really well.
I got it from car-part.com since the ebay auctions get out of hand really fast. I only paid $150 for mine.

Last month though, the changer stopped recognizing my cds, it gave me that dreaded "err" message. I opened it up and moved the laser eye back to the inside part of its track. I haven't had any problems since.

Like T0ked said the only annoying part about it is the placement of the ES changer. I have mine sitting next to my 12 changer on the trunk floor on top of sponge packing material.

Ed
Old 06-29-05, 12:07 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Hey, I put an ES changer in my SC almost two years ago. Works really well.
I got it from car-part.com since the ebay auctions get out of hand really fast. I only paid $150 for mine.

Last month though, the changer stopped recognizing my cds, it gave me that dreaded "err" message. I opened it up and moved the laser eye back to the inside part of its track. I haven't had any problems since.

Like T0ked said the only annoying part about it is the placement of the ES changer. I have mine sitting next to my 12 changer on the trunk floor on top of sponge packing material.

Ed
Thank you very much for the useful information, Ed ! Maybe my cd changer is also having the same problem you had before...Since ES's cd-changer is an interchangeable, I try to look for it both ebay and car-parts.com. I will see a hard part how to locate an ES-cd-changer somewhere in the trunk room after I get it. Thank you again for the useful information
Old 06-29-05, 01:17 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default My Solution

Check out this thread. It is the ES300 CD-changer in a Nak system in my SC400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157800

Old 06-30-05, 05:58 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Another Thing to try

I read this is a forum somewhere.
But it May help:

I found the common problem with the changers is that the cd never fully loads. On mine it would do exatly what yours is doing. I took the cover off and held the sensor down and loaded it and found the rubber roller that loads the cd was not getting enough bite. I took some brake cleaner and worked it into the roller to swell the rubber a little and then bent the rod down a little. Just let the rubber drie out before you put it back together. Has been working perfect for a year with no problems. May be you problems as well but maybe not.

Old 07-01-05, 02:14 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CompuMan
Check out this thread. It is the ES300 CD-changer in a Nak system in my SC400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157800

Thank you, CompuMan!

This information is very useful and reliable. Thank you!
Old 07-01-05, 02:24 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Smile Thank you, CompuMan

Originally Posted by CompuMan
I read this is a forum somewhere.
But it May help:

I found the common problem with the changers is that the cd never fully loads. On mine it would do exatly what yours is doing. I took the cover off and held the sensor down and loaded it and found the rubber roller that loads the cd was not getting enough bite. I took some brake cleaner and worked it into the roller to swell the rubber a little and then bent the rod down a little. Just let the rubber drie out before you put it back together. Has been working perfect for a year with no problems. May be you problems as well but maybe not.

Dear CompuMan,

Thank you for posting a thoughtful message again! I appreciated so much your posting.
I have a question here... You mentioned that you ''took the cover off''... you mean the bezel of the CD changer cover or a whole entire plastics of its? I also would like to know the location of the sensor, how did you manage to bent the rod down a little? It sounds like that a professional service skill required to do that...Do you think that I had batter not to take a risk to do that by myself or...because I do not have any skill to do a maintenance on cars. I only can do changing engine oil by myself...that’s all I can do... I take my car to the Toyota dealer repair shop near by and ask what’s the problem and estimation to fix the cd-changer today or tomorrow.
Thank you again.

Best regards,
Old 07-01-05, 04:29 PM
sluggo
Driver School Candidate

I posted this a while back - it may apply to your situation =)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159163

sluggo
Old 07-02-05, 02:09 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Smile Fantastic!!!

Originally Posted by sluggo
I posted this a while back - it may apply to your situation =)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159163

sluggo
Hello Sluggo,

Thank you very much for your posting and fantastic message!!!
Awesome! I appreciate that you share your knowledge and experience with me, thank you.
I made an appointment with Toyota body shop nearby tomorrow, however before I take my car there, I will try and follow your instruction that you told me on your posting. I hope I can fix my CD changer by myself. Just wish me a luck, please.
By the way, I have a question here. Would mind if telling me that where can I have a Lexol's vinyl treatment? Is there any suggested brands for its? like 303 protectant, Zymol's vinyl, pure glycerine, Meg's vinyl cleaner...so forth... Thanks again!
Old 07-02-05, 12:07 PM
sluggo
Driver School Candidate

Hey Kaukau -

I used Vinylex because it's safe for synthetic and natural rubber types. I don't use ArmorAll or other products that have a silicone oil base. The silicone does add a nice shine and will initially cause the rubber to swell up, but does damage over time. I used to repair audio tape decks that had been "cleaned" with various products that were not nice to the rubber pinch rollers, so I'm kinda paranoid about that stuff. All you want to do is clean the crud off the surface of the rollers and replace the plasticizer that has evaporated from the rubber, and Vinylex does both safely. It's also the best thing to use on your car's vinyl interior parts.

I have not tried some of the other brands you mentioned, so I can't comment on them. If you see something that has silicone oil in it, however, it's best to avoid it.

Get some cotton swabs (like Q-tips) and put some Vinylex in a shot glass. Dip the swab in the Vinlyex and wipe back and forth across the surface of the two rollers. Clean as much of each roller as you can see, changing swabs when they get dirty. The top roller is driven by gears, so you'll have to clean as much as you can, then cycle a CD through to change the position of the top roller to get at the rest of the surface. The bottom roller spins freely and can be cleaned completely just by rotating it by hand.

For the switches, you might try putting a piece of tape over the small one on top, and maybe use a small wad of newspaper to wedge the bottom switch in the down position. This will leave you both hands free for the cleaning.

luck =)

sluggo
Old 07-02-05, 08:23 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thank you for your answer Sluggo. That is a great description of what to do.

Quick Reply: CD Changer (Nakamichi)