Eclipse Headunit restarting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 05:43 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eclipse Headunit restarting?

Hey,

After about 3 months of having the eclipse avn in, it started to restart on it's own. Like i noticed that during city driving, it'll just shut down as if i shut off the car and then turn back on like normal. Basically restarting. I've tried to pinpoint the problem so i paid close attention to it when on the freeway. It didn't do it on the freeway. So i'm guessing alternator not giving enough juice? Also, how hot should the unit reallie get? because the unit gets pretty hot to the touch, like if i were to touch the area where the ESN light flashes. I also relocated my battery to the trunk using 4gauge wiring.. should i have gone like 2 or 0? Everything else electrical wise is stock aside from techkits.com grounding kit. So if ya kno what the problem is, please chime in, or if ya suggest i just take it to the eclipse dealer and see what's wrong since i have a 3 yr warranty.

Thanx,
Anthony

*edit. also running off of a yellow top optima
Old 07-10-05, 10:10 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the restarting check your power leads to make sure they are getting constant juice. Check your ground to see if it's holding firm. For the heat thing it depends on how long your are driving around. If you're driving to the store, it probably won't get that hot. If you're driving for 20 min or more it's most likely going to get pretty warm.

Don't know if that helped, it was kinda general. I had an issue with a Kenwood resetting every time I started the car up. It turned out to be the lead wires. Never hurts to check.
Old 07-10-05, 11:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

It's one of 2 things.

- bad connections to the headunit (plug, wiring, etc...)

- Power supply shutting off IN the head unit due to defective parts OR overheating in the dash and shutting off. Since you said "during the day" and it has been hot lately- unlike the winter we came from a few months back with cooler temps- sounds like it is overheating in the dash and shutting down. Cali does get warmer in the summer

Slide it out of the dash and ride around with it extended a little bit out from the dash (like half in/half out) so air gets into it and tell me what happens.
Old 07-11-05, 06:21 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i guess it may be hte heat... but for some reason i'm not too sold on it completely. it does this at nite as well when it's cold out, so i'm thinking it mite not but it could be since it is on top of the tranny tunnel and can get heated pretty quickly in there. if it is the heat, think a couple cpu heatsinks/fans with thermal paste may help?
Old 07-18-05, 11:55 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you figure it out let me know cause my eclipse is doing the same thing.
Old 07-19-05, 12:53 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

well with sf being fog city right now, i can rule out the heat reason. it's not hot anymore but it restarted like twice last nite. i mite just go back to the dealer i had install it and have em get me a new one if they can't figure out the problem.
Old 08-11-05, 07:04 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

new info to bump

okae to add to the problem, everytime i use my high beams, like say flash or just leave them on, the unit would restart or just shut off depending if i'm flashing or leaving the high beams on. i'm tired of it now and am taking it in tomorrow.