Sponsored by:

How to hook up a new headunit in the SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 10:29 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hook up a new headunit in the SC

I've searched around awhile and can't seem to get any definite answers. Any help would be definitely appreciated.

First, how exactly to I wire up a new headunit into the SC system? I've heard you only wire into the first plug (A) but the line level hack shows not many wires will match up.

Do I need a high to low converter since there is a stock amp or can I just remove the stock amp and tap the stock outputs to reach the speakers?

Do I need a custom mounting kit made? Some on this board have said you don't and a deck can be mounted without one.

Would a standard 1.5din pocket work to fill the gap or would that to have to be custom?
Old 07-13-05, 03:46 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Anybody? I've seen so many SC's with aftermarket HU's I thought this would be easy.
Old 07-13-05, 04:48 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me save you and suggest that you use the search to find ans to your questions. Here's a link for SCs with the factory pioneer system. Wire diagrams. Good luck with your system upgrade.
Old 07-13-05, 08:20 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Let me save you and suggest that you use the search to find ans to your questions. Here's a link for SCs with the factory pioneer system. Wire diagrams. Good luck with your system upgrade.
That wire diagram is exactly what I'm having trouble with. How does that show me where to hook up my wires, they don't match up with my HU's outputs?
Trust me I've been searching and searching to no avail. Most threads I find are either off topic, unanswered or people just telling them to search without knowing wether a search will answer the question or not.
Old 07-14-05, 07:41 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

you can buy the metra harness for toyota with premium sound...and it will plug directly into the car's harness...but it uses your radio's rca outputs and sends them through the factory amp...which sounded like crap for me, and had a lot of engine noise. i had it like that for like two days...just because i was too busy to work on it. if you want to bypass the factory amp and use your radio to power the speakers directly, which is how i have it right now, you can run speaker wires from the head unit to the trunk where the factory amp is..under the cd changer, and wire it into the factory amp's outputs. the metra harness for a regular toyota sound system...the one that comes with two plugs...you can take one of the plugs and it plugs right into the harness that goes to the factory amp. then just wire that to the wires you ran back from the head unit, this way you dont have to splice into the car's harness. if you need the pdf file to figure out which wire is for which speaker let me know....i have it at work.
Old 07-14-05, 10:57 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Thanks blksc300mt,
Send that pdf over if it's not too much trouble. Is this the metra plug your talking about?
link

Can I ask what how you mounted your deck too? Thanks for the help
Old 07-15-05, 12:15 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

Sure dude....umm..thats the harness you need to connect to bypass your factory amp. If you want to bypass your factory amp you need to get both harnesses. The harness you need for behind the radio is this one: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do
Just dont use the rca plugs on it...and run wires to the trunk from the back of your headunit. If you want to run an aftermarket amp you can just run rca's to the back and...well thats pretty simple. As for mounting the stereo...when you take out the factory stereo thers two brackets on the sides...and tthe holes line up with those of a new single din hu...so i just bolted mine in..and put a single din pocket under it...for now i have a half din extra space. The opening in there is a wierd shape tho...so its hard to make it look right. Someone used to make a filler plate but i dont know if its available anymore. I'm just leaving mine the way it is for now until i get the Kenwood double-din touch screen unit.
Old 07-15-05, 12:19 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

oh yea...i'll get the pdf for you tomorrow...i have it on a cd at work....and theres a pic of my radio setup that i had put in the gallery a while ago...so you can see how it is.
Old 07-15-05, 09:06 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both Metra harnesses and they are of no use. Our Sc headunits use a common ground system and your new head unit uses a floating ground. When you use the Metra harness the ground for all the speakers are shared, which introduces the noise. It also adds more wiring to an already tight space behind the headunit.

The EASIEST solution is to only use the Power, acc, and Power ant from the harness in the dash. Then wire from your aftermarket headunit speaker leads to the trunk and splice the harness after the stock amplifier under the CD changer. It sounds more complicated than it is. I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-05, 04:31 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I have both Metra harnesses and they are of no use. Our Sc headunits use a common ground system and your new head unit uses a floating ground. When you use the Metra harness the ground for all the speakers are shared, which introduces the noise. It also adds more wiring to an already tight space behind the headunit.

The EASIEST solution is to only use the Power, acc, and Power ant from the harness in the dash. Then wire from your aftermarket headunit speaker leads to the trunk and splice the harness after the stock amplifier under the CD changer. It sounds more complicated than it is. I hope this helps.
Thats basically what i was telling him to do...only i didnt want to cut into the car's harness...the metra plugs just plug right in and you can splice into those instead..so you can always put it back to stock if you want. If you bypass the factory amp...you have a seperate ground for each speaker....
Old 07-16-05, 01:14 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Sorry guys but I'm getting really confused here. Can you check if I got this right?

1. I connect the wires from the back of my headunit to the Metra 70-1761 wires and plug them into the stock wiring

2. I go back to my factory amp, dissconnect it and plug in the Metra 70-8112 into the inputs and splice it into the outputs

3. I separately wire the RCA's from the back of my headunit to my subwoofer amp.

Is this correct?

aftermarket HU---->701761---->stock radio plugs----> 708112---->Amp outputs---->speakers
Old 07-18-05, 05:48 PM
jacques
Pole Position

Bump for the question.
Is it right/wrong?
Old 07-18-05, 11:46 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

Ok....the 70-8112 is what goes behind your headunit..just dont use the rca's on it...or you'll get engine noise. The 70-1761 is the one you use in the trunk at the factory amp. I sent you the pdf...if you look where the factory amp outputs to th speakers..youll see which wires on that 70-1761 to splice for which speaker. And yea...the rca's for your subwoofer amp just run seperately...has nothing to do with this. good luck....
Old 07-19-05, 01:07 AM
jacques
Pole Position

Thanks for helping out blksc300mt, I'll post how it goes.
Old 07-21-05, 03:48 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

could i get that pdf file also???

Quick Reply: How to hook up a new headunit in the SC