Sponsored by:

add a sub?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 10:44 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question add a sub?

ok, this probably sounds pretty stupid but ive got a sub enclosure and i want to just tap it into the stock sub. i remember seeing a wiring diagram awhile back pointing out the right wires to use bu i cant seem to find it again. Whats the best and simple way to do this? thanks
Old 07-19-05, 11:45 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It might help if we knew what kind of car you had, but I suppose they all have the woof in the same spot. What's stopping you from just locating the woofer, then tapping into the 2 wires that connect to it?
Old 07-20-05, 03:11 AM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

Gttosc,

You can easily tap the stock sub. However, considering the power capacity/sensitivity/impedance of your sub enclosure you may not achieve good results. The typical stock amp may not adequately power your sub.

I installed a sub box and amp in my 1990 Celsior (LS 400)...see my recent post. I used the stock head unit's sub feed to power an aftermarket amp for my box. What is the power rating for your sub? Are you planning to use an aftermarket amp to power the sub?

Rod G
Old 07-20-05, 06:07 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gttosc
ok, this probably sounds pretty stupid but ive got a sub enclosure and i want to just tap it into the stock sub. i remember seeing a wiring diagram awhile back pointing out the right wires to use bu i cant seem to find it again. Whats the best and simple way to do this? thanks
Were you talkin about my crappy diagram?

Old 07-20-05, 12:17 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 sc300, and i would power it with my amp but it doesnt have the connections where i can just tap into the rear speakers to get the audio input. And no it wasnt that diagram hehe. And im just doing this temporarily before i can save up to replace the entire system, i just need some more bass and the stock 10 isnt cutting it.
Old 07-20-05, 01:07 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Yea my amp doesnt have high-level inputs either, thats why you need a LLC (line level converter). A LLC will turn those speaker (high) lever inputs into usuable RCA (low level) inputs which will plug into your amp. Im currently running 2 12"s off my stock headunit (Ive got my Panasonic 7401 waiting for me to get time to install her), all you need is the normal wiring and that LLC. If you have any questions, feel free to ask
Old 07-20-05, 01:26 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

thanks aerostar, i think thats what im gonna do. would i be able to find a line level converter at like a radioshack? or do i have to order online or something?
Old 07-20-05, 01:34 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Circuit city sells a Tsunami LLC for about $20, but Id recommend getting one like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

Thats what I have and I absolutely love it, cheap too. Or if you want, Ive heard very good things about these ones:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/audpl2linout.html
Old 07-20-05, 02:12 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

now ive got the audio comin in, but how do i hookup the remote wire? Which wire do i tap into from the stock sub for it to work? Also, should i wire a separate power wire or could i just get the power from the stock setup somehow?

Last edited by gttosc; 07-20-05 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 03:41 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

The best place I found (after some searching with a voltmeter) is the power antennae. Its already in the trunk and has a switched ignition wire running right to it. Lemme do a search and see where I said exactly which color wire it is

Here ya go https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152519

It is the RED WITH GREEN STRIPE wire running into your antennae motor

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 07-20-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 09:26 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

perfect! now how about the power wire? should i run a wire through or could i just use the one from the stock sub if possible? would it be enough power?
Old 07-20-05, 10:38 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should feed your aftermarket sub amp power coming directly from the battery and ground it on a good location point. The remote turn on wire is a bit tricky cuz the OEM amp (Pioneer) doesn't seem to have a 12V signal, when the radio is on. So what some guys do is just find a 12V ACC wire so that the amp is on whenever your car is on.
Old 07-21-05, 05:56 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgarjr
You should feed your aftermarket sub amp power coming directly from the battery and ground it on a good location point. The remote turn on wire is a bit tricky cuz the OEM amp (Pioneer) doesn't seem to have a 12V signal, when the radio is on. So what some guys do is just find a 12V ACC wire so that the amp is on whenever your car is on.
Yes like the reg with green stripe wire running to his power antennae. As for the power/ground wires, ALWAYS run new lines. I would go with anything less than 4 gauge
Old 07-22-05, 09:43 PM
gttosc
Driver School Candidate

everything is in and working! thanks aerostar