Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Nakamichi system upgrade ... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 12:19 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nakamichi system upgrade ... Help!!

I just bought a '99 GS 400 with the Nak system and have a ton of questions. I am trying to figure out if I should just leave this system alone or how much trouble it would be to upgrade. My installer is telling me to either stay with the Nak or replace everything. I really liked the equipment I had in my prior vehicle but I don't know if it will work in the GS400 or not. The Eclipse 8443 deck is awesome, the CDT ES-620 EuroSport components are pefect for my music tastes and I had a 10" Elemental Designs Sub. I have two Avionixx amps that are good but they are fairly cumbersome - one is a 4 channel with 150/RMS per channel and the other is a 2 channel with 200/RMS per channel.

How much power does the stock amp have in the Nak system?
Will the 6.5 EuroSports fit in the doors?

The Avionixx 600.4 amp will easily power the Eurosports and the ED sub. Would running the rear doors and deck speakers off the Eclipse deck be adequate for some rear fill? or should I try to use the stock amp or my other amp?

I need advice. I only know enough to be dangerous and don't want to do something I will regret. The Nak system sounds pretty good for OEM but it seems like a lot of that is due to construction of the listening area more than the equipment and if that is true I would really like to take full advantage of it.......just not sure how the best way to go about it.
Old 08-03-05, 08:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel tremendously qualified to answer this question.

I had the stock Nak system in '99 GS and ripped everything out but the headunit.

My advice in your case: RIP EVERYTHING OUT !
(provided you're willing to drop some money on the new stuff)

I pulled some engineering tricks to be able to keep the stock Nak headunit and still do what I wanted to do with the system. I'm still going to rip out the headunit soon to make way for a full nav unit.
DO NOT KEEP THE STOCK AMP. It sucks. It has no DYNAMIC power.

The system you've proposed sounds like a good one. Eclipse headunit, good - 10" ED sub - good, may even drop right into the GS. CDT - good, don't know whether they'll fit in or not, you'll need to measure. The depth is important, but your installer may be able to space them out so they clear the window.
Watch out for tweeter fit into the doors.
I would defiinitely NOT drive anything from the headunit. Use the 150W 4-ch amp to drive the 4 in-cabin corners (F/R, L/R) Then see if you can bridge the 200W 2-ch amp to drive the sub. You'll need to mount 2 amps in your trunk but the results will be worth it.
With this equipment, a good installer, and some tuning, your results will be excellent.

Last edited by engin_ear; 08-03-05 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 03:04 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Is the whole Nak system running off that one amp to the right of the spare tire?
Old 08-04-05, 04:24 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Yes. It is.
Old 10-04-05, 03:11 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

It has taken me two months to make up my mind but I am ripping everything out and installing my own equipment. IMHO the only reason the Nakamichi sounds decent is because of the cabin enviornment. The speakers are cheap, the amp is pitiful, a freestanding sub has no chance....especially when grossly underpowered, and the head unit lacks the refinements available. However, the system still sounds ok but I think it could be MUCH, MUCH better.
Old 10-04-05, 07:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Absolutely correct. You are making the right choice.