Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

New Head unit....new amp needed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:18 AM
Krupski2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head unit....new amp needed???

I have some questions about installing a new head unit.

I am looking at either the Clarion DXZ 855MP or the Kenwood KDC MP928 for my 2001 GS300. My CD changer died, so I pulled it out and I need a CD player. These are the 2 head units I am looking at. As much as I like Dave's setup, I do not need a TV, DVD, or Navigation.

I also have Sirius running on a FM Modulator. So whatever I buy, I am going to get an auxilary input and run the Sirius digitally through the new head unit.

Here comes my question. I have talked a few people and they have told me that I must bypass the Nak amp and then I am going to need to install a aftermarket amp for the sub in the back....is that true? If so, that is another 150-200 that I wasnt ready to spend. However, if I wait, then I am going to have to take it all apart again anyway.

Thanks guys.

Dave
Old 08-12-05, 01:29 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

you dont have to, you can rewire your stock amp but it would be better to just get a small amp to power the sub...200 is probably overkill for the stock one but you will get alot better sound if you replace is...encase it...and amp it
Old 08-12-05, 10:51 PM
Krupski2
Driver

Thanks for the help. Any idea on how what the wattage I should get for that sub in the back? Rewiring the stock amp would be a B*%&%, so I doubt I will do that. I would rather pay the 100 bucks for a new amp. Yeah, encasing the speaker would make it sound better. However, those days are long gone. I want to make it sound better, but I dont need a TON of bass anymore.