Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts
Default Re: finally

Originally posted by BananaGS
double sided tape for the crossover, and zip tide it down
Anh - EXCELLENT thread, thank you very much. Many people have been interested in speaker swap-outs but were unsure exactly how to do it (Percy: hint).

This should go in an FAQ or in the Articles section, Michael.

One question Anh - why is the crossover box needed? Does that replace a factory one? Thanks again.
Old 07-08-01, 09:57 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

all high end systems come with crossover, the purpose of it is to filter and block the bass signal for the small speakers, these speakers are design for voice and and higher pitch instrument (ie, not drum)

With a crossover, you can play as loud as you want :eek: without much vibration and distortion, the sub in the back is designed to handle bass (the drums ), the people voices sound very weird through the sub...

- so, for door speakers, you want to block the low freqency (use high-pass crossover)
- for the sub, you want to block the high (ie people voices, instrument) frequency (use low-pass filter, ie 80Hz crossover, any freq lower than 80hz will get through, just the leave the bass sound.:eek:

On my door, the crossover used to direct the mid-range frequency to the speaker, and direct the high freq to the tweeter, blocked all bass freq.

Factory does not use crossover (save cost), so the speakers only sound good, if you don't turn it too loud. Also aftermarket speaker made out of better material ==> produce clearer sound at the same or louder volume

I've been in the car stereo business for sometime already. I am glad I can help. Lexus has every well design for the enclosers which I decided to re-use. It's a band-pass box with a port, just that they use very small and cheap speakers

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-08-01 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-09-01, 03:07 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

hey bananags,

thats exactly what the audio shop did with my speakers, i ran 6.5 oz matrix speakers with an xtant amp and its sounds awesome. but my question is, if i sell the car, is there any way to put the stock speakers back after the speaker enclosure is cut?
Old 07-09-01, 06:38 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default SilverGSguy

noooo, you can't put it back, but who gonna open the door to see what is in it when it sounds good already,
as along as you don't want to keep the speakers after you sell the car ha ha

if you tell them, you got better speakers in there, the buyer will like it even more, if not, then they are not deserve to buy your car
:eek:

if you do want to keep ur speakers, get something cheaper with the same size and put it in...unless you have Dynaudio or something in there, I wouldn't keep the speakers anyway, they are not that expensive

Anh
Old 07-09-01, 01:56 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Great speakers i was thinking of getting those Polk audio to go along with my JL subs. One question though is it okay to switch out the speakers but keep the factory amp, because i have the nav in my car, and from my understanding is that i have to keep the factory amp because of the Nav. So is there an improvment or will it sound the same it not worst because of the demand in more power for the speakers? please help
Old 07-09-01, 02:08 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default KNKGS400

Even with factory amps, the new speakers sound alot better (clearer) than the factory speakers.

definitely worth every penny. I am planning to add in the amp later, but for now, I am very happy with the result. I think it can be improve more with aftermarket amp.

The stock speakers are 2 ohms rating, aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms rating, so you are getting 1/2 the power to the (new) speakers, but I do not notice this, just crank up the volume a little more

i can't comment much on how the car need to have the factory amp for the NAV. I see no problem for you to add more amp, leave the factory amp alone, just trap the speaker signals out (to the speaker from the factory amp) and feed them into the new amp==> from the Nav stand point, nothing change. just louder :eek:

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-09-01 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-09-01, 08:14 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

hey, how much do those polk speakers cost and what is the rms power rating on them? if you plan to run an aftermarket amp, go with a component system because the crossover makes a big differece.
Old 07-11-01, 05:26 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Anh,

Is your car comes with ML system. Do you recommend to swap out the ML speakers inplace with the Polk Audio? I have ML system and I wonder if replacing the ML speakers with Polk Audio will be worth the time.

Daniel
Old 07-11-01, 06:57 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

no,
I don't have the ML system. Can't give comment on Ml system. but see the Lexus Q&A on swaping out speakers whether it's worth the trouble or not.
https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/fa...ject=982103262

I think ML makes real good sound already, you can change the 2 rear door speakers out to see if they make any different, and sell the speakers if you don't like it.
All i can say is: Polk makes very good speakers.

SSilverGSguy
I get the polk around $100 on ebay, new, model EX2560 and EX2550
they are rating
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product...=13&speaker=70

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product...=13&speaker=61

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-11-01 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-11-01, 08:37 PM
GSman
Pole Position

BananaGS,

Great tutorial! Did you also swap out your rear door speakers? If so, how difficult was it? Are there existing enclosures in the doors to modify for the 6.5"? Did you use separate tweeters from the EX 2560 system in the rear?

Thanks,

Last edited by GSman; 07-11-01 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-11-01, 10:21 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

yes, I just did the front, planning to do the rears speakers sometime this week or next.

yes, the rear should be the same or similar to the front speakers. I have not decided on the location for the rear tweeters yet, but i'll post the pics then i put them in.

anh
Old 10-19-01, 03:31 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GlobeCLK

Originally posted by BananaGS
yes, you can completely take apart every pieces of the door
Hello BananaGS, back to the old topic.

If I remove the 4 door wood pieces....... and put the door panel back on, will everything stay in place? Does it seem like the wood is holding on to something else, and the panel won't hold or the handle won't stay or something? I wanna get the wood trim pieces painted but don't wanna leave my car at the shop so I'm thinking about takin the wood off myself.
Old 10-19-01, 05:02 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Question? IS there room for 6.5" speakers in the front and the rear?

Or is 5 1/4 max? Also what is the depth of the front pods? I have a set of diamond audio 6.5 and they are about 4"-4.5" deep, REAL DEEP.
Old 10-19-01, 05:11 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

CSHFLW, Ask Percy in the Electronics forum, he can help you out.
Old 10-23-01, 01:53 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

One great tech article... You have answered many concerns with this one...

So the sound is okay with the 4 ohm speakers?! That's a major concern of mine too.(Nak 240 or 280 watt system)

What 10" free air woofer do you recommend with the stock system?

Quick Reply: change out the speakers...