Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Warranty question with ML speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05 | 03:26 PM
jleedog
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty question with ML speakers

I just bought a CPO 2003 GS300 sport with Navi and ML and noticed the other day that the front driver's side speaker near the window frame does not output sound. I called my dealer and he said it will be fixed under warranty, but i'm curious whether or not ML makes speakers and if i should make sure they replace it with the ML speakers as opposed to non-ML speakers.

Anyone have any experience with just 1 non working ML system speaker and what the dealer did in terms of replacement?

thanks in advance,

jason
Old 08-28-05 | 08:55 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=jleedog]I just bought a CPO 2003 GS300 sport with Navi and ML and noticed the other day that the front driver's side speaker near the window frame does not output sound. I called my dealer and he said it will be fixed under warranty, but i'm curious whether or not ML makes speakers and if i should make sure they replace it with the ML speakers as opposed to non-ML speakers.

Anyone have any experience with just 1 non working ML system speaker and what the dealer did in terms of replacement?

thanks in advance,

jason[/QUO
there arnt any other replacements for mark levinson speakers so they would have to put in a mark levinson speaker. there are no aftermarket replacements for ml. the amp chanel could be out but iis usually the door speaker. if you have navigation there is a seperate pioneer made amplifier that powers the front door speakers for audio and voice guidance. so it could be the problem and not any of the mark lefvinson parts which are probably also made by pioneer. markl levinson is a home stereo company and makes no car stereo equipment themselves.
Old 08-28-05 | 10:11 PM
jleedog
Driver School Candidate

interesting...

it is just the front driver side upper little speaker; i'm going to bring it to the dealership sometime this week. The speaker does not exhibit sound at all for both audio and navigation, so i'm hoping it's nothing too serious. I just dont want them to put in lesser parts than what i paid for with that car having ML and all.

but from what you're saying, ML does not make speakers so the speakers in my car are probably pioneers. Also, do i share the same speakers then with non ML cars? Where is the pioneer amp for the navi/audio speaker located?

i only ask because i have the greatest distrust in car dealerships for some reason; i have no experiences to back that up, but for some reason i just dont trust them. this is my first car that has a dealer backed warranty. I"ve always just driven hand me downs.

what so-cal dealership has the best service that i can trust?
Old 08-29-05 | 05:42 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

i am sure the speker will have the ml name on it . the dealer doesnt know they are made by pioneer . lexus dealers are very good at replacing broken audio parts under warranty. its just when the warranty is over that the parts get very expensive and cannot be easily replaced with new aftermarket. so the used lexus audio parts business is very good.for example a a new gs cd changer lists for $2.400.00 so most owners who need one after the warranty is up go used. the levinson amp on the gs is in the trunk. its too big to fit in the dash behind the gflovebox like the pioneer amp does.
Old 08-29-05 | 10:29 AM
jleedog
Driver School Candidate

sounds good.. gonna call the dealership right now to schedule an appointment. i hope this fixes also the low volume of the navigation lady. I can barely hear here most of the time!

thanks for your help audio

jason
Old 08-29-05 | 10:43 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

it sounds like its the 1 channel pioneer navigation audio amp for the drivres door thats bad. it switches from nav guidance to audio . its a 500.00 item new so good to get it in warranty.
Old 09-06-05 | 12:36 PM
jleedog
Driver School Candidate

they replaced the "radio spkr assy, frt 1-side" which was list price is 171.92 and then labor was 41.80. I didnt see anywhere on the speaker that says ML, but it looks just like my other one on the passenger side.

i'm assuming this is the ML replacement otherwise, for a list price of a quarter sized speaker to be over 200 would be ridiculous.

jlee
Old 09-06-05 | 10:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Mark Levinson is actually a part of Harmon International, home of JBL, Infinity, Mark Levinson and Revel. ML makes their components to their specs, very high end stuff.

As for Pioneer, don't know the parent company, but pretty sure they make their own gear.

The ML amp and electronics are ML designed, and as far as I know, ML manufactured. Not too sure of who they outsource (IF they outsource) the speakers from, but HIGHLY doubt it's pioneer. The ML speaker may have the same spec in size, but that should be where the similarity ends.

I've been hearing more ML stuff going bad than Pioneer/Nak systems. Amps overheating, speakers blowing, etc. Wonder what's going on?

Percy

jason[/QUO
there arnt any other replacements for mark levinson speakers so they would have to put in a mark levinson speaker. there are no aftermarket replacements for ml. the amp chanel could be out but iis usually the door speaker. if you have navigation there is a seperate pioneer made amplifier that powers the front door speakers for audio and voice guidance. so it could be the problem and not any of the mark lefvinson parts which are probably also made by pioneer. markl levinson is a home stereo company and makes no car stereo equipment themselves.[/QUOTE]