Sponsored by:

Sealed or ported??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 06:39 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sealed or ported??

Hey guys, I had my system set up recently. I saw some people on this site have this set up, so I went with that. I had 1 cu ft sealed box built for my Infinity Perfect and I had shop bolt it underneath the rear deck firing 4 inches away from the stock hole through the stock hole. The bass was not bad, but I did not like the sub, so I sold it and gto the new Boston G5-GTR 12" instead, let me tell you, what a great sub!! like night and day. The shop sells both JL and Boston and said that this sub is so great that the only JL that beats it in SPL is the W7!! Anyway, I got that one instead put into my box. Anywhere I went they said that this set up is not correct and the placement of the box is no good due to cancelation of the sound waves. And it would be better to put it firing towards the trunk lid, sealed sitting on the floor. They took it off and I heard it. It was nice. More impectful and not distorted as I thought it would sound. They said they can built a new box and have a the amps mounted flashed on the custom panel along the sides of the box and have the stock sub hole opened to let the bass into the cabin?!I had my previous Acura set up with 2 Rockford 10" sealed firing towards the trunk, and I thought it was too distorted. I see a lot of people on this site having a ported box and using stock sub hole as a port. Any ideas?? What would be the best set up to get SQ and tight bass, not boomy. I never heard ported box sound in the car, how does it sound? Also can you guys show me some pics of your set up if you have them.. I heard SQ comp Audi S4 car in one of the shops in NJ. They had 2 15" new Rockford Power series subs sitting free-air/infinite baffle on the custom fiberglass rear deck completely sealed of from the trunk, I guess thats the hole trick with IF set up, to seal it correctly. And let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever heard. Sounded so powerfull, impectfull, clean, total SQ.. And I thought my ears would pop.. lol.. But a lot of people on forums say SQ is just not correct?!!
Attached Thumbnails Sealed or ported??-1_001.jpg  
Old 08-26-05, 05:07 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Boston subs are terrific. They specify a 1 cubic foot box for them, so you are right in the neighborhood. Somehow, your box looks big (did I just say that?!), maybe closer to 2 cubic feet. What are the dimensions of your box, anyway?

Boston 'likes' their subs in sealed enclosures, and I concur with this as I prefer a more tight, controlled bass. If you are looking for more output, a ported box will traditionally offer a bit more amplitude with some sacrifice in control.

Check out the new Boston passive radiator, for use with the new Pro subs. The guys at Boston say this is the Bee's Knees with their subs, offering more output while maintaining sound quality because the rear soundwave can't actually exit through the passive radiator. I am currently building a new box for my 12" Boston incorporating the radiator. My Boston GT-28 amp (bridged mono) will provide plenty of power for a single 12"...

GTR High Performance TunableRadiator™

# Designed to perfectly compliment Boston G5 Subwoofers
# Increases output without added amplifier power or enclosure volume
# Suitable for high output needs where space is limited
# User-tunable adjustments
# Slim-mount design; only 3-inches of depth required
# Removable dustcap for quick tuning adjustments

Boston GT-28 (one of my big amps):
Dual-Mono Power @ 4-ohm(12.6VDC)
1x700W
Dual-Mono Power @ 2-ohm (12.6VDC)
1x1000W
Old 08-27-05, 06:31 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea.. they are great.. my box is 1cu ft.. so what do you think about the placement? should I built a new box facing the trunk or leave it like that shooting through the stock hole? what do you think?