Sponsored by:

1st gen gs help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 08:17 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen gs help!!!

Hey all.. let me give you some background info first.
I was rear ended a while's back and was forced to make little (read:ghetto) changes to my sound system in order to get by. I pulled my stock sub out of the rear deck leaving it's place empty. I installed an old sealed box w/ a 12" pioneer powered by a 200w amp in the trunk. Did I mention that the stock amp is acting goofy?

So I decide to get a new head unit in order to power the stock speakers. I purchased an Alpine from Best Buy and had it installed the other day. Looks great, but now I can't put the volume higher than 10 without my speakers making a funny sound.

Any ideas? Did they install it wrong? Is the head unit too strong for the stock speakers? Should I replace them?
Old 09-14-05, 08:43 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please describe the "funny sound".

Distortion perhaps?
Old 09-15-05, 05:02 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

definately distortion... it only happens on beat. sounds like a burst of static, but really high pitched.
Old 09-15-05, 05:25 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have this problem b/f you replaced the h/u?

Make sure the installer didn't wire up all four of your speakers to only 2 channels of the h/u. Test it out by adjusting your fader and balance, and make sure they work accordingly.

Also this might sound strange, but does the aftermarket h/u have too little power (less then your oem amp)?
Old 09-15-05, 07:14 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

nope... didn't have this problem before the h/u.
I messed around w/ the fader and balance... all speakers are working fine. It only happens when the put the volume too high... 10,11,12,13... depending on the song.
Actually, someone mentioned that the new h/u may be too powerful for the stock speakers, rather than not powerful enough. Will getting aftermarket speakers help?
Old 09-15-05, 07:43 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Its hard to tell how high the volume is, based on the figures you gave me (10-13), I will need to know what the maximum setting is.
If you're near max then its probably the h/u's internal amp, it's clipping (the amp is trying to make more power then it can, which will translate to distortion).
If you do get new speakers try to match up the RMS power ratings.
And carefully pick the after market speakers. Don't be tempted to buy the inefficient (usually higher end) speakers, b/c you won't get what you pay for, unless you plan to add another amp for your highs.

Check out eclipse, diamond audio, focal, and even mb quart (replacement speakers types).
Old 09-18-05, 08:52 AM
C to the O
Pole Position

So I should look for something w/ a low power rating? Somthing close to what the h/u is pushing out?

What about the components? Will I have a problem w/ those? A buddy said that they usually need more power to drive.
Old 09-18-05, 12:04 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

components, co-ax, either one is fine, as long as it has a rms rating of 40~60W RMS.
MB Quart Discus, Diamond Audio D3, Focal Access, and Eclipse integrated series.
All in which are pretty adequate for the h/u's internal power.
BTW, stay away from the MB Quart's if you are going w/ an amp in the future, it's a tad bit harsh w/o the aid of a 30 band EQ, the mids are very nice however.
You should really audition speakers b/f buying them, all the speakers i listed, sounds a little different, so chose according to YOUR taste.

Also don't expect the speakers to be very loud and clean when powered by the h/u.

Last edited by vin 78; 09-18-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 05:07 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vin 78
Also don't expect the speakers to be very loud and clean when powered by the h/u.
My aim is for my system now, to sound equal to or a bit better than stock. Would I have been better replacing the stock equipment that was not working rather than going out and getting aftermarket stuff?

BTW: Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-18-05, 06:52 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

The distortion your experiancing is your head unit is cutting out because your speakers are rated at 2ohm..You may want to upgrade your speakers with 4 ohm speakers or eventually upgrading your system with an aftermarket amplifier..Hope this helps you out..
Old 09-18-05, 07:24 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

thanks johnee78 for the heads up, that explains a lot.
If the factory speakers are in fact 2ohm, then your radio its having a hard time at that load (2ohm). So try to replace the factory speakers asap.
I'm not sure how good your factory system sounded but I'll tell you now, that you'll gain some highs but you might lose some midbass.
It would be best if you add a decent quality 4ch. amp to power the aftermarket speakers (front/rear).