Sponsored by:

sorry about this Acura question in CL

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 10:56 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sorry about this Acura question in CL

i'm really really sorry i need to come to CL and ask about a ACura question.. but i join Acuraworld.com and it seems no one in there can give me any help or when they did reply it's an half-As$ answer. hope people here can help me out..

i have just recently got this 91 legend from a buddy of mine.. put in the code and all the buttons on the radio works but there's NO sound.. nothing coming out of the speakers. even the volumes on the steering wheels doesn't seem to work..

so here's my question.. how can i test if the stock amp is messup or just my radio??.
Old 09-15-05, 11:01 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe BUSTED speakers??? or maybe the guy took out the speakers and forgot to wire them??

It could be a few different things..I would go ahead and check all the speakers to make sure they are working...then if they are, take the radio out and see if there is a separate plug for the speakers behind the radio, this could have been unplugged.

If everything is in place and STILL no sound, it could very well be the Amp in the radio itself is busted.

hope this helps
Mike
Old 09-15-05, 12:13 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

maybe its ur amp. use something to test and see if u get a signal to the speakers.
Old 09-16-05, 05:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing you need to do is tell us if the Legend you have is an L or and LS. The L trim has no external amps, while the LS trim has an externam amp behind the rear seat.

When you entered the code, I assume the "CODE" dissapeared from the display and the radio station frequency can be seen?

Steering wheel volume control can be a few different problems. 1) Blue steering wheel plug at back of the head unit is not connected. 2) Dirt in the motorized volume ****. Try giving the actual volume **** a few good taps with your finger. Often that knocks out some dirt spots and the steering wheel controls work again. Antother test is if only the volume buttons on the steering wheel don't work but other functions work it could be the dirty volume **** case. Otherwise the motor may have just died.

As for no sound. That is tough because it could be a number of problems. For both L and LS it could be you just have no speakers or they are disconnected somehow. For L, if all the speakers are there and connected, the amp section in the head unit is probably dead, or there is a break in the speaker connection somewhere. If it is the LS, the separate amp could be dead, or speaker connectors disconnected. Anyway, that is just some basic direction so you can narrow down what the problem is.
Old 09-16-05, 09:14 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by kietlander
maybe its ur amp. use something to test and see if u get a signal to the speakers.

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
so here's my question.. how can i test if the stock amp is messup or just my radio??.
Old 09-16-05, 12:15 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
First thing you need to do is tell us if the Legend you have is an L or and LS. The L trim has no external amps, while the LS trim has an externam amp behind the rear seat.

When you entered the code, I assume the "CODE" dissapeared from the display and the radio station frequency can be seen?

Steering wheel volume control can be a few different problems. 1) Blue steering wheel plug at back of the head unit is not connected. 2) Dirt in the motorized volume ****. Try giving the actual volume **** a few good taps with your finger. Often that knocks out some dirt spots and the steering wheel controls work again. Antother test is if only the volume buttons on the steering wheel don't work but other functions work it could be the dirty volume **** case. Otherwise the motor may have just died.

As for no sound. That is tough because it could be a number of problems. For both L and LS it could be you just have no speakers or they are disconnected somehow. For L, if all the speakers are there and connected, the amp section in the head unit is probably dead, or there is a break in the speaker connection somewhere. If it is the LS, the separate amp could be dead, or speaker connectors disconnected. Anyway, that is just some basic direction so you can narrow down what the problem is.

you sure sound like you know what you talking about.. thanks for the help.. it's an LS.. enorder to get the code i need the Serial# of the HU.. so i did take it out and i recall. everything is pluged in.. so i will try turning the **** and taps it with my finger.. and yes all the buttons works on the HU.. i will take the backroll seat out to see the condition of the amp.. and i will also take out driver side to see if theres any speakers .. overall. thank you guys so much.. this is way better than waitting for AcuraWorld.com to answer any of my questions.. i will keep you guys updated.. thanks again.
Old 09-16-05, 12:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you sure sound like you know what you talking about.. thanks for the help.. it's an LS.. enorder to get the code i need the Serial# of the HU.. so i did take it out and i recall. everything is pluged in.. so i will try turning the **** and taps it with my finger.. and yes all the buttons works on the HU.. i will take the backroll seat out to see the condition of the amp.. and i will also take out driver side to see if theres any speakers .. overall. thank you guys so much.. this is way better than waitting for AcuraWorld.com to answer any of my questions.. i will keep you guys updated.. thanks again.
I am on Acuraword as well as acura-legend.com. I don't often see all the posts though as I just glance through them. I've owned 3 Acura Legends from 91-95 so I'm quite familiar with them. I was also a moderator on the Legend forum before. I hope you find your problem without too much trouble.

PS. I noticed you put your post on AW in the audio section. This may be odd, but try putting Legend specific questions in the 2nd gen Legend section. You will get much more response that way. Mods may not always like that, but the Legend community is sort of isolated and don't venture out too much into the other sections, as well as othe Acura ownes don't know too much about the Legend itsself eeither.

Chris

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-16-05 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 03:20 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete
Old 09-19-05, 05:37 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

That's my boy Chris

Jonny
Old 09-21-05, 06:21 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SILVERGS3
Maybe BUSTED speakers??? or maybe the guy took out the speakers and forgot to wire them??

It could be a few different things..I would go ahead and check all the speakers to make sure they are working...then if they are, take the radio out and see if there is a separate plug for the speakers behind the radio, this could have been unplugged.

If everything is in place and STILL no sound, it could very well be the Amp in the radio itself is busted.

hope this helps
Mike
I just love that term BUSTED.

Old 10-02-05, 04:25 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

update.. i took off the back roll site and saw the amp.. but i can't tell if it's bad or not.. how do i even test it??.. the HU is good because i took it off and put an aftermarket Sony STereo(that i know works) in there and BAM!!.. no sound.... some people told me it could be a busted Fuse.. but i check everywhere and found no fuse for the amp. only a fuse for the radio..

any ideas??
Old 10-03-05, 07:20 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

update.. i took off the back roll site and saw the amp.. but i can't tell if it's bad or not.. how do i even test it??.. the HU is good because i took it off and put an aftermarket Sony STereo(that i know works) in there and BAM!!.. no sound.... some people told me it could be a busted Fuse.. but i check everywhere and found no fuse for the amp. only a fuse for the radio..

any ideas??

Your best bet is to bring the amp to a stereo shop and have them bench test it. It's easy enough for you to see if you have power, but the shop can test the entire amp in just a few minutes. Should only cost you $20-$40 bucks.
Old 10-03-05, 07:40 AM
IWanalexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.acura-tl.com

Go there and ask the question again, you'll get an answer!
Old 10-03-05, 11:50 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IWanalexus
www.acura-tl.com

Go there and ask the question again, you'll get an answer!

ask again??.. never been there before. but thanks for the advice.. i'll try to have a bench test on it..