Dynaudio - future possible plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 09:27 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dynaudio - future possible plans

Hello all!

Just spoke at length with a car audio guru over at Dynaudio. There might be some trickle down technology to their current automotive lineup, specifically their ESOTAR tweeter. The current ESOTAR tweeter is quite possibly the best there is, bar none, for automotive usage, but Dyn might be raising the bar.

It's called the ESOTAR2 tweeter. Different coatings, MUCH lighter and stronger magnet structure and a smaller physical unit. Makes it more friendly to automotive installations. The ESOTAR2 tweeter that they are using now will NOT work in automotive enviroments as the dispersion and adhesives are far from ideal for the mid/nearfield sound of the car.

For those of you that are running the MD100 - the ESOTAR will definitely open some ears. They're that much more detailed and you can run them as low as 1,500 hz - and this is a 1.1 inch dome tweeter. Detailed, airy, extremely transparent. You have to listen to a set to actually believe it. WONDERFUL!!! I'd say it's about 60 percent better than the MD100's - and the MD100's are exceptional tweeters.

The person at Dyn is estimating about 1 to 1.5 years before the esotar2 might come out for the car. Here's the link showing their size. This tweeter is out of the Dynaudio Special 25. I actually saw one of the esotar2's out of their warehouse (he gave me the full tour) and it's LIGHTWEIGHT! The coating was a bit tackier than the original ESOTARs, and slightly more shiny. They WILL NOT sell the drivers (home) to anyone, but they did have a few spares as replacements for their high end speakers.

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/...c25/s25ovr.htm

Price for the current ESOTAR tweeters is 480.00 EACH. OUCH!

Sidenote - future audio may be revamped with Alpine's newest incarnation of the F#1 Status.

Percy
Old 09-15-05, 09:58 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! Their current ESOTAR tweeter is massive, I would be very interested when it's released.
thanks for keeping us informed
as far as the price...better save up!
Old 09-16-05, 12:06 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

I wonder if they would fit the inside of the tweeter pillars.
Old 09-16-05, 11:56 AM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr
I wonder if they would fit the inside of the tweeter pillars.

Anything is possible with a creative "custom" installer

Mike
Old 09-18-05, 08:48 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be interested in replacing my MD100's if they were cheaper than $480. $960 for tweets is too much for my blood.
Old 09-18-05, 08:50 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They used to sell the esotars for home use over at madisound.com a few years back. You could pick up a set for about 600 if I remember correctly. I'm listening to the set right now with MW170s...have to make a cabinet for these drivers. They simply sound incredible. Makes my Infinity EMITS sound like crap.

Percy
Old 09-19-05, 07:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
They used to sell the esotars for home use over at madisound.com a few years back. You could pick up a set for about 600 if I remember correctly. I'm listening to the set right now with MW170s...have to make a cabinet for these drivers. They simply sound incredible. Makes my Infinity EMITS sound like crap.

Percy
EMITS are harsh and fatiguing next to the Dyns. I used to have a set in my car way back when (in the '80's) and they almost took me to the insane asylum.
Old 09-20-05, 07:10 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
EMITS are harsh and fatiguing next to the Dyns. I used to have a set in my car way back when (in the '80's) and they almost took me to the insane asylum.
They weren't called super tweeters for nothing.