Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I paint the NAV kit to match the climate control?
Paint it Brushed Aluminum color to match
75.51%
Leave it black, it looks good
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Pioneer AVIC-D1 Installed **Lots of Pictures** (56k=no good)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 10:29 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I would have done anything different even if you could bypass it. Unless you could load the NAV DVD onto the unit somehow, you would have to switch DVDs every time you went from DVD Video to NAV DVD, which would be a huge pain in the ***,
Old 09-18-05, 07:25 AM
sooparad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Patsfan
I don't think I would have done anything different even if you could bypass it. Unless you could load the NAV DVD onto the unit somehow, you would have to switch DVDs every time you went from DVD Video to NAV DVD, which would be a huge pain in the ***,
i have an eclipse unit and looking to install a second dvd player for that same reason.

is your second dvd player capable of playing the music videos in random order?

great clean install congrats! looks awesome!
Old 09-18-05, 07:58 AM
Jayhawker
Driver School Candidate

Is that the double din piece from l-tunedpartts? I ordered one two weeks ago and I am still waiting for it. Also, do you have a paint code that will match? I plan on putting my DDX 7015 in once I get my alarm installed.
Old 09-18-05, 10:49 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Also, do you have a paint code that will match? I plan on putting my DDX 7015 in once I get my alarm installed.
That is my problem right now. I cannot find the paint code anywhere. Lexus can't help me, pioneer can't help me. So that is a big problem. I think my only solution would be going to an autobody shop and trying to have them match the paint.

Originally Posted by sooparad
is your second dvd player capable of playing the music videos in random order?
great clean install congrats! looks awesome!
I'm not sure if you can play them in random order. It is set up on the dvd just like a movie dvd, so I doubt you can do that.
Old 09-29-05, 09:38 AM
VirtuousE
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was me I would wrap it up in suede to match the color of your car. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-05, 10:19 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Wrap both the climate control and D1 face in suede?

I've never seen this done. How would that look?

It also must be a ***** to wrap intricate pieces like those
Old 10-03-05, 04:50 PM
YoungP08
Pole Position

That come with black wood???, looking everywhere for it

u got the exact set up im looking for, nice job
Old 10-03-05, 07:36 PM
Patsfan
Driver

The black trim is part of the Sport Design package. It is definitely unique. Couldn't be happier with the setup
Old 10-07-05, 01:41 PM
idsrvit
Driver

when you have a chance, can you give me some input regarding the xm nav? I have the pioneer avhp 7500 and xm, have an input for nav, but no sep screen. how does the xm nav work? how much is it? thanks in advance
Old 10-08-05, 07:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

nice setup

tell me how well do you find the nav works .. and how did you get the dvd player to work.. does the dvd player work while car is in motion and was it plug and play
Old 10-10-05, 12:43 PM
Patsfan
Driver

Originally Posted by idsrvit
when you have a chance, can you give me some input regarding the xm nav? I have the pioneer avhp 7500 and xm, have an input for nav, but no sep screen. how does the xm nav work? how much is it? thanks in advance
The XM nav is awesome.
It is an addtional add on to the pioneer unit and made for pioneer. Its actually called NavTraffic and includes the XM receiver.
http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/about.jsp
Service is additional $3.99/month on top of the regular XM subscription.
The way it works is by overlaying traffic patterns over your Nav map on the display. When you look at the main roads you will see moving dashed lines that are Blue, Green, Red, and Yellow, each representing a speed. You see red and you are screwed. You can also click on a point on the road and it will tell you the speed. I am guessing it aggregates the average speed of all the people on the road with XM's along with traffic updates. You can also click on the XM Traffic logo and see a list view of the traffic problems currently going on in your area and get a more detailed explanation if you click on the listing.
The unit is about $200 or so.......just goto Pricegrabber.com or Froogle.com and type in GEX-P10XMT on the site. (that is the model #)

Originally Posted by lexforlife
nice setup

tell me how well do you find the nav works .. and how did you get the dvd player to work.. does the dvd player work while car is in motion and was it plug and play
I love the NAV,
1. it is SOOO simple to use,
2. you can store tons of addresses,
3.view recent history, of the last 30 or so places you've plugged in
4.and one of the best features is name lookup and phone number lookup. essentially 411 built into the nav. If you want Domino's pizza, type it into the lookup and you have all the Domino's within 30 miles, with the address and phone number at your fingertip.
5. I dont know how the DVD player got hooked up. It works though, flawlessly and there is a VERY simple bypass to get it and other functions to work while in motion. Search for it in the forums, I made a post about it.
6. Jeff, installed an Infrared Eye behind my mirror, that is unnoticeable and now I can operate the DVD player with my remote while the glove box is closed.
7. This unit has so many features and I probably know about 10% of them. The problem is, in order to really learn them you need to be in your car and it is hard to learn/use them while you are driving. I suppose I could read the 100+ page book, but it is boring. I wish there was a long explanation of everything that was a better read than the small black and white booklet.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 10-14-05, 07:31 PM
rottweiler
Pole Position

have you thought about relocating your climate control unit towards the bottom so you can put the screen higher? and has anyone on the forum ever done it? it seems like a cool idea
Old 10-19-05, 05:58 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsfan
More pics

bro

2 questions for i too am about to buy this unit as well

the trim surround around the head unit, did you get that from carson toyota or where

and how much extra was the dvd player and what button do you use to watch dvd
Old 10-19-05, 08:40 AM
Patsfan
Driver

Rot,

I did consider moving the unit, because it would be a lot nicer up top, however the kit would then have to be modified somehow, the climate control edges would have to be trimmed down, and you can't screw up on this because its not an easy fix if you trim it too much. It is also an all day custom job and would cost a lot of loot to have it done right.

Jeff, did have it on his and it looked nice.

Originally Posted by lexforlife
bro

2 questions for i too am about to buy this unit as well

the trim surround around the head unit, did you get that from carson toyota or where

and how much extra was the dvd player and what button do you use to watch dvd
Jeff, had the trim at his shop already, and the DVD player is made by Directed Video.

If you do a google search for it, and look around you can get it for $50 online. At a shop you will pay triple that or more.

You use the video input on the source selection. Very simple to switch from XM, to FM, to Nav, to DVD. Just press the source button and it can detect what sources are active (i.e. If there is no CD in the units CD player, it won't goto that option when you cycle between sources)
Old 12-10-05, 08:44 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the painting goes, I don't mind the black trim panel. It might look better painted to match though. I used one of the Plasti-Kote exterior car paints from PepBoys on my trim, you can get a charcoal color that almost matches perfectly, and it looks metallic like the factory trim. Watch out if you are painting plastic though.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Installed **Lots of Pictures** (56k=no good)